Premier Sports

Just now, RigbyLuger said:

That's something that keeps being forgotten. Though interesting Sky are doing more stuff like Netball on YouTube, so must be a benefit to the cost.

I don't watch the netball, but my assumption is that if its on YT that the coverage is maybe more basic? During the S8's coverage Sky used to show games online with more basic camerawork. I thought it was a decent compromise for more coverage. 

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't watch the netball, but my assumption is that if its on YT that the coverage is maybe more basic? During the S8's coverage Sky used to show games online with more basic camerawork. I thought it was a decent compromise for more coverage. 

Their netball coverage is normally the same if it's on YT or main channel. It's pretty basic indoor hall coverage.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Their netball coverage is normally the same if it's on YT or main channel. It's pretty basic indoor hall coverage.

Yes, I was going to make that point. Sports like that and snooker etc do have that benefit of low levels of resource to broadcast. 

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

Yes, I was going to make that point. Sports like that and snooker etc do have that benefit of low levels of resource to broadcast. 

As does the televised ###### up known as darts 

On 22/02/2022 at 02:57, Dave T said:

Rd 2:

1st - Championship RL (77.2k)

2nd - Scottish FA Cup - Celtic v Raith (67.7k)

3rd - SFA Cup - Rangers v Annan (41.8k)

4th - French RU (14.6k)

5th - United RU (9.3k)

Its going rather well, I must say. 

Any ideas how much those other sports on the list are being paid by Premier. I imagine the best comparison would be the Scottish FA Cup.

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

Any ideas how much those other sports on the list are being paid by Premier. I imagine the best comparison would be the Scottish FA Cup.

Someone may find the breakdown but I can't. It's a joint £20m (AUS$36m) five-year deal between Premier Sports and BBC Scotland.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

If the figures stay as reported then, considering the genuine niche level of Premier Sports, I think it is good for Championship RL. Ideally, with hindsight it would have been a 1 year "prove yourself deal" with a second year or more with a price to reflect that.

Nevertheless, if the numbers hold up then the Championship could in a years time go to Sky (who have a far larger platform and RL interest base) and negotiate a credible deal for Monday night RL with Premier also interested.

There is a kudos to being on a TV channel rather than OuRLeague too.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Someone may find the breakdown but I can't. It's a joint £20m (AUS$36m) five-year deal between Premier Sports and BBC Scotland.

Thanks for that, I may be way off the mark here but from the articles that I googled it seemed that Premier had the first two picks and BBC Scotland telecast the rest. So Premier would be paying some fraction of that 4 million pound per year for the first two picks that sound like they don`t rate that differently to the League. I don`t know how long Scottish soccer has been on Premier but I gather it is a darn sight longer than the Championship which may yet build more of an audience.

Makes me wonder if Premier would be interested in first pick of two Championship matches each week, especially since they are rating so solidly. Even if it only bought in a fraction of what they are paying Scottish soccer, surely it might be worth more than the 200 000 pound the Championship are getting now.

26 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Thanks for that, I may be way off the mark here but from the articles that I googled it seemed that Premier had the first two picks and BBC Scotland telecast the rest. So Premier would be paying some fraction of that 4 million pound per year for the first two picks that sound like they don`t rate that differently to the League. I don`t know how long Scottish soccer has been on Premier but I gather it is a darn sight longer than the Championship which may yet build more of an audience.

Makes me wonder if Premier would be interested in first pick of two Championship matches each week, especially since they are rating so solidly. Even if it only bought in a fraction of what they are paying Scottish soccer, surely it might be worth more than the 200 000 pound the Championship are getting now.

Scottish football can get some good figures on Premier, although RL is holding up pretty well against that.

The beauty of that deal for Premier is that you are pretty much guaranteed a few Rangers and Celtic games which are decent draws. I'm surprised they can command a deal of £4m per year but then I suppose that is tiny for a football deal. 

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

Thanks for that, I may be way off the mark here but from the articles that I googled it seemed that Premier had the first two picks and BBC Scotland telecast the rest.

Premier also show the Scottish League Cup as well as the Scottish Cup (and indeed actually sponsor the League Cup). They have exclusivity for the League Cup and get first dibs on the (there is no) Old Firm games in the Scottish Cup, with the BBC show the next best two games; one on BBC One and one on BBC Scotland which is a little more tucked away (and is exactly what Hearts deserve…)

I was already a Premier Sports subscriber because of their Scottish coverage, albeit largely because of the League Cup exclusivity as Hibs were shown a few times on Premier whereas it’s always Rangers/Celtic on there in the big cup and Hibs on council telly in the last two rounds  

On 08/03/2022 at 17:05, Martyn Sadler said:

Was it a night when the FA Cup was on free-to-air?

And perhaps Dewsbury are not a massive draw.

Last night's figures will be interesting, with FA Cup soccer on ITV 4 and a Premier League match on Sky.

The figures in question for Monday night's game according to Premier were 30,900 with a peak of 70,500, which is pretty good given the competition referred to above on mainstream channels.

They are certainly very happy with it.

The Premier people are quite puzzled, however, about why the Dewsbury-Widnes audience dipped to the extent that it did.

• 2 weeks later...

31,900 watched Widnes v Barrow. The early season bubble, most likely inflated due to cheap/free short-term contracts, has burst, it seems. That said, it’s not a terrible figure for a game on a Monday night behind a paywall on a channel that isn’t the biggest. 

2 minutes ago, Jughead said:

31,900 watched Widnes v Barrow. The early season bubble, most likely inflated due to cheap/free short-term contracts, has burst, it seems. That said, it’s not a terrible figure for a game on a Monday night behind a paywall on a channel that isn’t the biggest. 

Second highest on the channel and over three times the number watching as tuned in for the third placed programme.

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Second highest on the channel and over three times the number watching as tuned in for the third placed programme.

I watch Premier rugby on a Monday . Its been fantastic . Mostly good games , no video ref , no baz n tez . Decent commentary , possible one to many in the commentary  box . Not surprised numbers watching are decent .

20 hours ago, TheFlash said:

I have found their coverage to be superb. Really enjoyed it whenever I have seen it. They could probably lose the woman player from the pundit panel, but the insights from Pryce and Henderson have been first class. 

Only if you think there are too many people. Like Sky. Because Jody Cunningham is very good.

1 hour ago, Cw25 said:

Only if you think there are too many people. Like Sky. Because Jody Cunningham is very good.

I don't think she's that great tbh nor particularly relevant. She plays a (basically) amateur version of the game, whereas the other two have relevant insights from the modern pro game. Just my opinion of course, but I think she would be more relevant if there was a televised women's game for example. I find myself hoping she won't say too much as I prefer to hear from the others. 

1 hour ago, TheFlash said:

I don't think she's that great tbh nor particularly relevant. She plays a (basically) amateur version of the game, whereas the other two have relevant insights from the modern pro game. Just my opinion of course, but I think she would be more relevant if there was a televised women's game for example. I find myself hoping she won't say too much as I prefer to hear from the others. 

God forbid a woman has insight on sport 🤦🏼‍♂️

21 minutes ago, Spidey said:

God forbid a woman has insight on sport 🤦🏼‍♂️

I'm not sure that's the point though is it?  It would be the same as having an NCL player on giving opinions.  Not necessariy to do with gender.

35 minutes ago, Tubby said:

I'm not sure that's the point though is it?  It would be the same as having an NCL player on giving opinions.  Not necessariy to do with gender.

I think that’s very disrespectful to the womens game. It is not about comparing playing standards to men whatever level that may currently be. 

10 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

I think that’s very disrespectful to the womens game. It is not about comparing playing standards to men whatever level that may currently be. 

Exactly. Cunningham has over 20 England caps - she has reached the pinnacle in her sport.

Archived