Premier Sports

We can keep listening to Yorkshire men, or we can try and be progressive and modern and have voices and faces that speak to a wider audience that give us different views and angles. 

I know which I prefer. 

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

We can keep listening to Yorkshire men, or we can try and be progressive and modern and have voices and faces that speak to a wider audience that give us different views and angles. 

I know which I prefer. 

I’m from Yorkshire and I would prefer a neutral accent for RL. I’m amazed that Sky didn’t realise the value of Eddie Hemmings accent.

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

God forbid a woman has insight on sport 🤦🏼‍♂️

It has absolutely nothing to do with gender. I just don't really want to listen to an amateur player as one of the "experts". 

I said I enjoy their coverage, and simply that they could probably lose the woman panelist IMO. You obviously like listening to a woman amateur player, and that is great if it gets fans like yourself engaged. Please refrain however from making sweeping (and completely uninformed) generalisations about me. You know nothing at all about me, and your facepalm emoji inferring that I am some sort of sexist is completely ridiculous. 

41 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

It has absolutely nothing to do with gender. I just don't really want to listen to an amateur player as one of the "experts". 

I said I enjoy their coverage, and simply that they could probably lose the woman panelist IMO. You obviously like listening to a woman amateur player, and that is great if it gets fans like yourself engaged. Please refrain however from making sweeping (and completely uninformed) generalisations about me. You know nothing at all about me, and your facepalm emoji inferring that I am some sort of sexist is completely ridiculous. 

How many games has Mark Wilson played?

9 hours ago, Dave T said:

I know which I prefer. 

Most sports have commentators from the region heavily involved in the game though. 

For example I like Scottish championship football on Friday nights and all the commentators are Scottish. Same for All Ireland sports. 

I prefer hearing the views of these local experts. Therefore I think viewers watching league in other areas appreciate having commentators from Yorks/Lancs who really know the game. 

Yorkshire presenters/summarisers such as Leon Price, JJB, Tania Stevenson aren't white men so we have plenty of diversity and people who are progressive.

I understand what you are saying but broadcasters are moving towards commentators with relevant regional accents. 

5 hours ago, Niels said:

For example I like Scottish championship football on Friday nights and all the commentators are Scottish/

On BBC Scotland.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, Niels said:

Most sports have commentators from the region heavily involved in the game though. 

For example I like Scottish championship football on Friday nights and all the commentators are Scottish. Same for All Ireland sports. 

I prefer hearing the views of these local experts. Therefore I think viewers watching league in other areas appreciate having commentators from Yorks/Lancs who really know the game. 

Yorkshire presenters/summarisers such as Leon Price, JJB, Tania Stevenson aren't white men so we have plenty of diversity and people who are progressive.

I understand what you are saying but broadcasters are moving towards commentators with relevant regional accents. 

Is that on premier sports ?, i love seeing the ground’s in the Scottish lower leagues. 

5 hours ago, Niels said:

My comment was around a couple of things. 

Firstly, we seem to have a real reliance on a small circle of Yorkshire past players, my perception is that there is a huge Leeds love-in, but generally certainly Yorkshire. Whether its JJB, Peacock, McDermott, Wilkin, Wells, Gale, McGuire, Pryce- these all have a big presence on RL coverage here. And that's fine, they always will, but it'd be nice to see more diversity even in the men they choose. 

Yorkshire men will always play a big part as they are a big part of the game, but we need to speak to different audiences and the introduction of female pundits should be welcomed. My one criticism of Cunningham is that she sometimes tries to fit in and adopt the style of the guys when I think we should focus on different views and experiences of different people. 

So this isn't a criticism of the general approach of middle aged white men from Yorkshire, they will always have a place, it's a push for more diversity. Something I would say Sky have been a bit better at in the last couple of years. 

5 hours ago, Niels said:

It depends though. Nobody in Scotland is going to consider a Scottish accent (particularly from Edinburgh say) in a perjorative way. RL does have a bit more baggage when it comes to image.

23 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It depends though. Nobody in Scotland is going to consider a Scottish accent (particularly from Edinburgh say) in a perjorative way. RL does have a bit more baggage when it comes to image.

Also, nobody is complaining about English accents. We just have an over reliance on one kind of English voice. 

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Also, nobody is complaining about English accents. We just have an over reliance on one kind of English voice. 

And that is "Northern". I'd argue that aside from Geordie(and variations), Scouse and maybe a really strong Manc accent, to the untrained the rest of the North sounds the same. 

35 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

And that is "Northern". I'd argue that aside from Geordie(and variations), Scouse and maybe a really strong Manc accent, to the untrained the rest of the North sounds the same. 

Yeah, I think this can be looked at on a few levels (and I accept I'm delving into this more deeply than most will). 

On a general level the voices are Northern males. That feeds a stereotype, but ultimately SL is generally played in the North so I suppose that will always happen. 

But within that, its generally just men, and an over representation of Yorkshire men. So even people from the North won't necessarily be represented. 

I think we have too much of a clique in the RL punditry world, McDermott is like a propoganda machine for Leeds, and if he misses anything JJB will be there to pick it up. 

There is little wrong with the individual people, although I'm not a fan of some, but I welcome more diversity which will bring diversity of views. 

11 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

It was an educated guess. 'His' whingeing hand-wringing, excessive wokeness made it obvious that he has almost certainly never been a rugby league player. 

Nice to see you doubling down. 

I suppose not everyone can be a macho male hero like your good self. 

43 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I'd argue that aside from Geordie(and variations), Scouse and maybe a really strong Manc accent, to the untrained the rest of the North sounds the same. 

And you'd be right.

Going to a uni where the vast majority of students were from SE England (even though it was in Wales) was quite eye opening to me in that they couldn't even hear that there was a difference between a Lancs and Yorks accent unless it was really strong and obvious.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Do we think Danika Priim was better than Jodie Cunningham on C4? I can't think of many other women that have been used regularly on the telly.

I think they both come across well with decent insight. But hey what do I know 😂😂

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Thanks.

I like JJB, so I prefer his style.

I might be biased though as I met him once at a Leeds Rhinos stall in one of the towns outside. He was terrific and friendly. 

Archived