Premier Sports

10 minutes ago, Leonard said:

I immediately have reserved monday nights for CL RL.

Whereas I am not overly fussed by a lot of SL rehash.

For now, it is new and more interesting and the coverage is a lot better. 

So it is possible a number feel the same.

Were you fiddling with your 4 colour biro while writing that? 😜

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I personally don't see the figures been quoted as not correct as it would all come out in the wash anyway when BARB is published.

Those are impressive figures 🙂

Paul

In the last 12m only 2 shows have been higher than 91k on Premier Sports. They were Scottish FA Cup games, presumably involving Rangers and Celtic. They pulled in a peak of 148k or something. 

Even Rangers in the Champions League hasn't beat 91k on Barb. 

4 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Perhaps there are some RL fans who are sick of watching Warrington vs St Helens for the fifth time in 12 months on Sky, and enjoyed watching something a bit different?

There is a novelty factor to Premier's coverage and there could be some decline in the audience among those people who took out the offer for a month's free subscription who don't want to continue with it.

But the positive thing is that I have seen no negative comments about Premier's coverage so far.

There's little doubt that the BARB figures will show lower audiences than I've reported from talking to their programme chief, which he is also anticipating.

When the figures come out I'll speak to him about how the BARB figures differ from his figures in terms of the audience calculation.

But it's difficult to fully convey how delighted they are with the audience for the first two matches and how they have already smashed their targets.

That is what those of us who lamented Sky's treatment of the Championship more or less predicted, although perhaps not quite on this scale.

Worst case - the Champ has a good bargaining chip for more money or a move to a larger channel in 2 years.

All of those who said the championship rights were worthless have been proven wrong.

1 hour ago, Leonard said:

Worst case - the Champ has a good bargaining chip for more money or a move to a larger channel in 2 years.

All of those who said the championship rights were worthless have been proven wrong.

Anybody saying that was proved wrong when Premier paid for the rights. 

17 minutes ago, Scubby said:

True. However, they haven't paid yet, it is largely incentive based dependent on new subscribers.

Is that true? It was confirmed here that they have paid for the base rights. 

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Is that true? It was confirmed here that they have paid for the base rights. 

Its awfully vague and when they make such a big deal of the production costs and marketing spend going towards the value its hard not to be sceptical when it comes to the true value. That is before what counts towards the Challenge Cup secondary rights:

1. Can you reveal the financial details of the deal? We’ve heard that it is a six-figure deal over two years.

The actual figures are commercially sensitive. However, as I guess as you would expect me to say, I do think it is a very good deal; it is for the next 2 years and the finances of it are split into 4 main parts – a rights fee, the production costs to put over 30 games out as a live broadcast with a 45 minutes highlights of the weekend programme beforehand, an opportunity once we hit a certain number of subscribers for the RFL & the Championship clubs to share in a ‘super profit’ and also a guaranteed marketing spend by Premier Sports to promote the Betfred Championship, so we will go well beyond six-figures over the 2 years.

2. Were Premier Sports the only bidder for Championship RL and was the Challenge Cup required as the sweetener to get the deal over the line?

It is the benefit of the RFL going to market with all our rights collectively that we can create packages that the broadcasters want. We spoke to every major broadcaster during the process and a number expressed interest in different packages, but in the end the BBC taking the main Challenge Cup rights and Premier Sports taking the secondary Challenge Cup rights as well as the Championship, we believe, was the right way to go.

https://www.totalrl.com/premier-sports-deal-for-the-championship-q-a/

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yes, as is the norm in RL, no clarity around the detail was provided. 

From MEN article

Clubs will be rewarded if subscriptions surpass a certain number, too. As part of the deal, Premier will pay the production costs involved in showing games and they will receive all the money that comes in from subscriptions until those costs are covered. After that, clubs will receive a profit share from any subsequent income brought in.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Its awfully vague and when they make such a big deal of the production costs and marketing spend going towards the value its hard not to be sceptical when it comes to the true value. That is before what counts towards the Challenge Cup secondary rights:

1. Can you reveal the financial details of the deal? We’ve heard that it is a six-figure deal over two years.

The actual figures are commercially sensitive. However, as I guess as you would expect me to say, I do think it is a very good deal; it is for the next 2 years and the finances of it are split into 4 main parts – a rights fee, the production costs to put over 30 games out as a live broadcast with a 45 minutes highlights of the weekend programme beforehand, an opportunity once we hit a certain number of subscribers for the RFL & the Championship clubs to share in a ‘super profit’ and also a guaranteed marketing spend by Premier Sports to promote the Betfred Championship, so we will go well beyond six-figures over the 2 years.

2. Were Premier Sports the only bidder for Championship RL and was the Challenge Cup required as the sweetener to get the deal over the line?

It is the benefit of the RFL going to market with all our rights collectively that we can create packages that the broadcasters want. We spoke to every major broadcaster during the process and a number expressed interest in different packages, but in the end the BBC taking the main Challenge Cup rights and Premier Sports taking the secondary Challenge Cup rights as well as the Championship, we believe, was the right way to go.

https://www.totalrl.com/premier-sports-deal-for-the-championship-q-a/

What on earth does going 'well beyond six-figures' mean. 7 figures? 8?

I always like these answers that confuse things even more 🤣

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

From MEN article

Clubs will be rewarded if subscriptions surpass a certain number, too. As part of the deal, Premier will pay the production costs involved in showing games and they will receive all the money that comes in from subscriptions until those costs are covered. After that, clubs will receive a profit share from any subsequent income brought in.

As per Damiens post, it does say there was a rights fee, this isn't only a commission based deal. 

32 minutes ago, Scubby said:

But it doesn't say the rights fee is for the Championship. 

Doesn't say the rights fee is for Rugby League either. 

3 hours ago, RS50 said:

Just watched a repeat of Featherstone v Leigh on Freesports. Did anyone else find the picture quality very poor?  Looked as though not done in HD, and that there was not sufficient lighting.

Picture quality was fine in HD for me on the Premier Player app, the poor floodlights at the ground was the issue.

5 hours ago, RS50 said:

Just watched a repeat of Featherstone v Leigh on Freesports. Did anyone else find the picture quality very poor?  Looked as though not done in HD, and that there was not sufficient lighting.

Lighting at the stadium was abysmal, unfortunately. A long way from what is needed for professional sport.

Shame, as it was a great game on the pitch.

30 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

Should be no issues with Lighting tonight !

Tempting fate... :kolobok_unsure:

I see there's a FreeSports repeat of tonight's game, starting at 12:30am on Wednesday. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Tempting fate... :kolobok_unsure:

I see there's a FreeSports repeat of tonight's game, starting at 12:30am on Wednesday. 

The repeat is showing on Freesports website, but not on my Freeview EPG. Not sure which is correct. 

Archived