Nelson Asofa-Solomona a goner?

Well there’s speculation that NAS is sticking to his no vaccination guns and is preparing to leave the NRL and Oz due to his inability to train and play due to restrictions placed on unvaccinated players.

The rumours link him to RU

It can be revealed two-time NRL premiership Storm prop and New Zealand international Nelson Asofa-Solomona is set to join the Japanese League One competition ahead of the 2023 season.

It is understood he will join Japanese powerhouse Panasonic Wild Knights, who are mentored by former Wallabies coach Robbie Deans.

But as the 2m, 130kg giant prepares to say sayonara to rugby league, Rugby Australia are keeping a close eye on his movements and could yet offer him a short-term deal.

RU Australia seems to prefer their players to be vaccinated, but apparently Japan doesn’t have such mandates in society and so could be the fairly drastic answer for NAS, say for one season at least.

‘It’s not mandated here. We just have really strict protocols in place,” said one Wallaby, who is currently playing in the League One competition.

11 hours ago, Graham said:

Well there’s speculation that NAS is sticking to his no vaccination guns and is preparing to leave the NRL and Oz due to his inability to train and play due to restrictions placed on unvaccinated players.

The rumours link him to RU

RU Australia seems to prefer their players to be vaccinated, but apparently Japan doesn’t have such mandates in society and so could be the fairly drastic answer for NAS, say for one season at least.

‘It’s not mandated here. We just have really strict protocols in place,” said one Wallaby, who is currently playing in the League One competition.

Give him a tennis racket - that will give him an free pass on vaccines

8 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Give him a tennis racket - that will give him an free pass on vaccines

Maybe not: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-australia-59964905 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

35 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Yes …and the winner is…the legal profession! 

There could be an election riding on the outcome. If it is overturned it means rich foreigners can play tennis without vaccines but Australians need to be double vaxxed to pay and watch.

Whatever the right or wrong reasons behind this decision, I still think it's the correct one.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

big jason t of the cowboys to follow - they wont be able to play international ru outside japan so whats the point? also damaging to the chances of nz and tonga in the rlwc not to mention thinning the quality 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

98 per cent of players are now vaccinated with only a handful of hold outs. NRL clubs are also reportedly free to dock pay and eventually terminate players who refuse to become vaccinated, given they will face restrictions and the inability to play interstate games given travel requirements.

The Canterbury Bulldogs were the first team to take decisive action, parting ways with John Asiata in December.

Given 2023 is the touted time of Asofa-Solomona's arrival according to the report, it's still unclear what will happen with him and the Storm in the 2022 season.

According to the report, Japan has relaxed all restrictions against unvaccinated individuals, meaning Asofa-Solomona would be free to sign a contract in the country.

1 minute ago, Graham said:

98 per cent of players are now vaccinated with only a handful of hold outs. NRL clubs are also reportedly free to dock pay and eventually terminate players who refuse to become vaccinated, given they will face restrictions and the inability to play interstate games given travel requirements.

The Canterbury Bulldogs were the first team to take decisive action, parting ways with John Asiata in December.

And 93% double vaccination rate in general is it ? So how are these young fit players such an existential threat and to whom ?

Good luck to the bloke. Pity he'll be playing in a lesser team in a lesser competition. It'll be interesting to see what he does in the 2022 season though. Surely that was the first thing he should have sorted out. (maybe he has?)

In 2023 the situation regarding Covid in Oz might have changed drastically and this move then might not be necessary.

Aye…sent home with no prospect of participation in the next major.

I believe he is being courted by E&W cricket board as they search for an opening batsmen. It took the Aussies two weeks to get him out…he lasted much longer than any of the England  batsmen!

According to Fox Sports, Asofa-Solomona is set to break his contract and switch codes to Japanese rugby outfit Panasonic Wild Knights for 2023, where vaccination is not a requirement for athletes.

Storm CEO Justin Rodski told SEN said it was a "sensitive" situation that the club hopes to have resolved in coming weeks.

"We're really still hopeful and optimistic that he'll be able to return to commence official pre-season training sooner rather than later," said Rodski.

"He has been training away from the club. He has a program at the moment, so we know that he's keeping himself in good condition.

"In terms of time frame on that (resolving the situation), I actually couldn't say at the moment. It is a sensitive one and we're working through that.

"The process is there and we're hopeful that we'll be able to resolve it in the coming weeks."

2 hours ago, Graham said:

According to Fox Sports, Asofa-Solomona is set to break his contract and switch codes to Japanese rugby outfit Panasonic Wild Knights for 2023, where vaccination is not a requirement for athletes.

Storm CEO Justin Rodski told SEN said it was a "sensitive" situation that the club hopes to have resolved in coming weeks.

"We're really still hopeful and optimistic that he'll be able to return to commence official pre-season training sooner rather than later," said Rodski.

"He has been training away from the club. He has a program at the moment, so we know that he's keeping himself in good condition.

"In terms of time frame on that (resolving the situation), I actually couldn't say at the moment. It is a sensitive one and we're working through that.

"The process is there and we're hopeful that we'll be able to resolve it in the coming weeks."

Let's hope common sense prevails

2 hours ago, Graham said:

Meaningless waffle . 

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently NAS isn’t a goner yet (returning to the thread’s title).

Storm confirmed on Thursday that Asofa-Solomona had returned to training after providing the “necessary and information and certification to comply with the requirements of the Victorian and Queensland governments to allow him to return for training and to play.”

The club did not reveal whether he had received the vaccination or not.

“It is great to have Nelson back at the club and back with his teammates,” Storm CEO Justin Rodski said.

“It has been a slightly interrupted build up for Nelson but importantly he has been completing his own individual training program over the last few months away from the club.”

“He has returned to training in good shape, and we are confident he will be ready for selection ahead of Round 1 of the season.”

Asofa-Solomona — who had been training on his own during pre-season — conceded he was “pretty nervous” about returning but believes he is “ready” for Round 1.

Great news @Graham I was really concerned that we were going to lose him. I`m not so concerned for the Storm, although he would have left a big hole, but more for the Kiwis at the end of the year at the World Cup. I think that he is the type of forward that will be integral for them if they are going to challenge for the Cup, I know they have a fair bit of depth in the forwards but I just think that he is one player and especially one coming out of the Storm system that can really make a difference in that Kiwi side. Basically I want the Kiwis to be at their absolute strongest.

4 hours ago, frank said:

The guy is alright a couple of meters from the try line but his defence is poor..

No mate, firstly he`s huge and hard to hold, secondly he`ll be good off the bench and crucially he`s got that off-load and that second-phase play will be essential if they are going to trouble the Aussies.

Archived