Man / Player of the match...

Rach

Watching the Mayfield / St Pats match on Sportsmans Coverage and same with the BBC / Sky Coverage, commentating teams looking for MOM with still a quarter of the game to go.. How can this be a proper indication of the game?? 

10 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Most the match has been played. It’s not like much more can change…

The player of the match could do a 'Ben Flower' and make the decision look daft. No reason why the POM decision shouldn't be made in the last couple of minutes, or even after full time.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

11 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Most the match has been played. It’s not like much more can change…

Sneyd got the vote before Houghton made that late try saving tackle in the Challenge Cup Final.  I reckon that might have been different. Both had been very influential throughout the game.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

45 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Sneyd got the vote before Houghton made that late try saving tackle in the Challenge Cup Final.  I reckon that might have been different. Both had been very influential throughout the game.

Aye John Pendlebury tackle in the 87 CC final came after the votes had been taken for Eadie to win it.

2 hours ago, Just Browny said:

The player of the match could do a 'Ben Flower' and make the decision look daft. No reason why the POM decision shouldn't be made in the last couple of minutes, or even after full time.

Yeah, I agree 100% as you would have seen in my post in the same thread posted in the second half

2 hours ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

2 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Sorry guys, just my poor execution of humour. The post above was my first half post, my second half post was on the other thread of the same name.

3 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Should always be decided after the game IMO. I get it's for practicality with a broadcast going on, etc, but it just doesn't feel a true account it the game if chosen on less than a full game.

Especially when I had cash on Houghton at the time. 😒

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

Rugby League is a TEAM game.

Man of the match is always arbitrary and often an embarrassing waste of time.

Far too much profile is given to things like the Lance Todd and Harry Sunderland trophies. It's irrelevant 

I completely get the point, but I don't think any of the winners would agree, (or many of their team mates would begrudge them). On balance I don't think you can celebrate players too much and,  as in this thread it creates debate and interest

On 15/01/2022 at 19:51, Rach said:

Watching the Mayfield / St Pats match on Sportsmans Coverage and same with the BBC / Sky Coverage, commentating teams looking for MOM with still a quarter of the game to go.. How can this be a proper indication of the game?? 

As long the commentary team isn’t responsible for the MOM decision, and it isn’t actually decided at the 60 minute mark, then I don’t have a problem with discussion on it. It’s just the same as we see in the typical one-sided matches and the commentary says something along the lines of “xxxx have been by far the better team”, only for the other team to snatch it at the death.

However, it does seem to be awarded a little earlier these days than it used to?

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

Archived