Jump to content

Change of ownership at York


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, RP London said:

cards on the table.. I was at university with Jon and he is a good lad.. 

from my understanding of the situation and from memory of what was said when he became chairman he was not the money but the figure head/front of a group that was put together that did have cash. He has experience within the sport and within the sports admin so was a good person to put in charge rather than someone who did have money but no experience (something a few owners should probably have a look at!).

Works well this system no different to the Dragons and Toulouse main man who puts some money in with some serious players in the background.

 

Paul

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 hours ago, RP London said:

cards on the table.. I was at university with Jon and he is a good lad.. 

from my understanding of the situation and from memory of what was said when he became chairman he was not the money but the figure head/front of a group that was put together that did have cash. He has experience within the sport and within the sports admin so was a good person to put in charge rather than someone who did have money but no experience (something a few owners should probably have a look at!).

Campbell family , has Clint bought the job lot or are they still involved ?.

While I am here , maybe Clint is minted but not enough to buy into NRL , there are plenty of Country Oz sides probably in the same situation as York so why buy into an English side ?.

Off the top of my head the only RL Oz I can think of who has put down permanent roots over here is Tony Smith.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Stirlin said:

Campbell family , has Clint bought the job lot or are they still involved ?.

While I am here , maybe Clint is minted but not enough to buy into NRL , there are plenty of Country Oz sides probably in the same situation as York so why buy into an English side ?.

Off the top of my head the only RL Oz I can think of who has put down permanent roots over here is Tony Smith.

You couldn't buy a team in Oz and take it to the NRL in the same way as with York to Super League now though.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

You couldn't buy a team in Oz and take it to the NRL in the same way as with York to Super League now though.

With an established stadium, fanbase, coach and affluent catchment area. Best club to grab atm. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interview in today’s Press. https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/19856639.york-city-knights-owner-meet-rfl-academy-plans/
 

Appears he wants to do things properly and work on building an sustainable academy, not chuck a load of cash at players and use the club as a plaything. Pleased to hear he’s planning on doing that as there’s a lot of talented young players from York now playing in SL setups (about 16 or 17 players from the local amateur clubs I think), so hopefully soon they could have a proper pathway in their own city. 

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

Interview in today’s Press. https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/19856639.york-city-knights-owner-meet-rfl-academy-plans/
 

Appears he wants to do things properly and work on building an sustainable academy, not chuck a load of cash at players and use the club as a plaything. Pleased to hear he’s planning on doing that as there’s a lot of talented young players from York now playing in SL setups (about 16 or 17 players from the local amateur clubs I think), so hopefully soon they could have a proper pathway in their own city. 

100% agree with this, I was talking to people yesterday and one guy was saying sign players now we don’t want to miss a year of super league. I had to tell him all the players have got clubs now you can’t just sign players to make a club a sustainable club.

Hopefully by getting a academy we can start producing our own players tap the local area get the kids wanting to play for York building from the bottom up will always make the club stronger for the future.

For me as a York fan I would like to see them Build and improve year on year if they get to super league(personally I prefer the champIonship) great but the main thing for me is to have a sustainable healthy club which will be here for many years to come.

We have all heard the promises that new owners make covering all sports but at the moment I can only take him on his word he’s saying the right things and making sense but time will tell.

I hear Clint is a lifelong Penrith Panthers maybe he could use his connections back in OZ to sign Nathan Cleary in 2023?? 😹

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Roger York said:

100% agree with this, I was talking to people yesterday and one guy was saying sign players now we don’t want to miss a year of super league. I had to tell him all the players have got clubs now you can’t just sign players to make a club a sustainable club.

Hopefully by getting a academy we can start producing our own players tap the local area get the kids wanting to play for York building from the bottom up will always make the club stronger for the future.

For me as a York fan I would like to see them Build and improve year on year if they get to super league(personally I prefer the champIonship) great but the main thing for me is to have a sustainable healthy club which will be here for many years to come.

We have all heard the promises that new owners make covering all sports but at the moment I can only take him on his word he’s saying the right things and making sense but time will tell.

I hear Clint is a lifelong Penrith Panthers maybe he could use his connections back in OZ to sign Nathan Cleary in 2023?? 😹

Just watched a Q and A video of him, he's going to do everything right it's a long term job.

Edited by spanishknight
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Video interview on Twitter:

 

Edited by Simon Hall
  • Like 1

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Simon Hall said:

Video interview on Twitter:

 

Sounds good, more positives for York. Maybe not this year but will be exciting to sdee how they grow next season regards to budget and this is their first season they can fully exploit the stadium to it´s full potential. Exciting times for them no question. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

With an established stadium, fanbase, coach and affluent catchment area. Best club to grab atm. 

They are certainly an attractive prospect in many ways. 

I still think it will need investment to realise that though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

They are certainly an attractive prospect in many ways. 

I still think it will need investment to realise that though.

They need a playoff budget. Even with reduced central funding, they should be able to average 2,000 fans a game and bring in the hospitality income that makes them attractive to commercial sponsors to break even. Another year in Champ and they are likely to be a destination club for the best part time players .Unless you had a bucketload of cash to sort out London, York are the best placed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

They need a playoff budget. Even with reduced central funding, they should be able to average 2,000 fans a game and bring in the hospitality income that makes them attractive to commercial sponsors to break even. Another year in Champ and they are likely to be a destination club for the best part time players .Unless you had a bucketload of cash to sort out London, York are the best placed.

Hospitality is vital in any sports club be it amateur, Semi and Pro but most sporting clubs outside the big Soccer clubs haven't a clue but it can be done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, EggFace said:

Hospitality is vital in any sports club be it amateur, Semi and Pro but most sporting clubs outside the big Soccer clubs haven't a clue but it can be done.

Some clubs are in better positions than others in terms of their catchment. I wouldn´t criticise say Dewsbury for not exploiting it but York is a thriving city and has the potential to capture some of that event market. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Some clubs are in better positions than others in terms of their catchment. I wouldn´t criticise say Dewsbury for not exploiting it but York is a thriving city and has the potential to capture some of that event market. 

We already do.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...