Newcastle game

town blue

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, IanMac said:

He said would have to wait and see, he had a protective boot and on crutches but Chris said that can just be a precaution, also he said would need to monitor Simons and Lightowler this week due to concussion protocols 

Matty walked out of the bar tonight in a ankle brace so can't see him playing next week , spoke to Jake and he is fine he says and Evan looked ok with the lads after the match so would hope they are ok for next week UTT 🔵⚪

3 hours ago, JMB said:

Both Town and Haven given imposable tasks against full time sides, Whitehaven getting beat 38 / 4 and Barrow also getting beat

With 8 overseas players, haven have plenty full timers. is it ony us , Barrow and haven who aren't full time. ? Sounded like a great effort today in awful conditions,etc keep getting behind this talented young bunch.

13 minutes ago, Unicorn 106 said:

With 8 overseas players, haven have plenty full timers. is it ony us , Barrow and haven who aren't full time. ? Sounded like a great effort today in awful conditions,etc keep getting behind this talented young bunch.

Haven

town 

barrow 

Sheffield 

dews 

batley 

york

Bradford? 
fax? 
london 

all part time 

3 hours ago, Derwent said:

A good effort in the conditions and with a bit more composure in the first half could have had a good lead at half time

A couple of things that need saying though, which might not be popular. Alex Young is absolute garbage and how he gets picked ahead of Olstrom or Teare is beyond me. He offers absolutely nothing and is a liability. Also, sad to say it but, as good a servant as he has been, Buffer isn’t up to this level anymore. Slow and predictable. Walker offers much more in attack.

Sorry pal I have to say something , let's not get at players personally , no player goes on that pitch to make mistakes, Alex missed that high ball I I bet he's hurting like hell, but he then goes and catches a high ball from the kickoff, Chris picked his team and knows the players better than we do , let's back then and encourage them not slang them off, (although I no it's frustrating) for me we should have took the penalties we had in the first half and established a lead but who am I ? The weather then changed and Town found it hard to get out off our half , it's going to be a long hard season, let's back the lads and trust Chris , if the rumours are true our next signing is exciting , let's see how things pan out, UTT 🔵⚪

Match report. 

WORKINGTON TOWN 6 VS 20 NEWCASTLE THUNDER

Town beaten in Thunderous opener at Derwent Park

Town marked their return to the championship again the side voted into the championship in 2020 Newcastle Thunder with a narrow loss against the full time Geordies. 

Workington were along with the whole of Rugby League rocked on Saturday when it was announced that Town and GB legend Des ‘Dessie’ Drummond had passed away at the age of 63 this followed the sad passing early in the week of sixties Town centre Tony Colloby. 

The club also announced on Friday that Elliott Miller had been told to medically retire from the game due to a long-standing back injury. 

The game itself started with Town carrying well into the thunder half and thunder reciprocated. A thunderous shot from Simons forced a scrum and a kick from Jamie Doran nearly sent Alex Clegg threw but for a slight knock on. A penalty was then given for offside to Newcastle before a mass a brawl ensued as Sam Hallas was sin binned for a punch along with Thomson. Town were awarded the penalty then a further penalty for offside. 

Oscar Thomas then provided Town a GLDO and Town received another penalty for offside. The Town pressure was thwarted however as Jake Lighthowler went without the ball on the line. Newcastle then relinquished possession by throwing the ball away. Town played the set out and give Newcastle the ball 2 meters away from the Thunder line however a offside on tackle three gave thunder reprieve.

The game then went into Town attacking and Thunder defending as their ill-discipline starved them of any real possession in the opening quarter of an hour.

Thunder then got 3 sets on the Town line a huge shot from Forber kept thunder out. Town cleared well and were awarded a penalty for offside a huge break from veteran Forber and Brown nearly had Town away before a penalty at the end of the set for being offside at the kick.

Thunder were then awarded a penalty for a high shot. Thunder then marched up field before an Alex young tackled saved a certain try from a 2 on 1 position for the visitors. 

On 24 minutes there was a stoppage in play as Evan Simons was hit flush with an Elbow. Thunder prop Mitch Clark placed on report from the penalty Town forced the issue and knocked on.

Town the surrendered possession threw an incorrect play the ball a second penalty was given for a high tackle. Against the run of play Jack Johnston of thunder went over on the corner flag. The conversion unsuccessful for 0-4 on 28.

Town restored parity on 33 minutes as Caine Barnes punched a hole in the thunder defence to score following fantastic play by Jordan Thomason. Town took the lead threw the conversion as Veteran half back Carl Forber getting his first points of the season. 

A nasty looking injury to Matty Henson resulted in a stoppage in play and the stricken town hooker was taken from the field. On Half time Town lead 6-4. 

Newcastle started the 2nd half with an error from kick off as Isaac Noakes knocked on as the rain hammered down.

Thunder held out well and Town were penalised for a hand in the play the ball (interference).

The sides then traded sets before a penalty on 52 minutes sent Newcastle over for a 10-6 lead after 53 minutes as Nathan Wilde scored under the posts the conversion from the number 9 successful for Thunder.

A blatant obstruction from the referee that left a huge gap to score in as the lead went out to 16-6. Newcastle came again as a forward pass halted their progress.

Town were nearly in again but a knock on from Clegg stopped a try. Thunder then knocked on themselves. However, a rushed play from Town thwarted possession again. Thunder then went the distance and scored again for 20-6.

Town then forced 2 goal line drop outs however on the 2nd Hutchings knocked on. A massive hit on Lighthowler that would have been considered filthy in boxing let alone rugby league left the Town man in la-la land. No penalty was given in-fact a knock on against Town as the out cold Lighthowler had little option but too.

The major concern for Town was a strapped-up crutch bound Matty Henson at full time.   

Workington Town 6

Newcastle Thunder 20.

Town 

Oscar Thomas

Alex Clegg

Joe Brown

Ethan Bickerdike

Alex Young

Jamie Doran

Carl Forber

Jake Lighthowlert

Evan Simons

Jordan Thomson

Connor Fitzsimmons

Caine Barnes

Hanley Dawson

Interchanges

Matty Henson

Rhys Clarke

Malik Steele

John Hutchings

Newcastle 

Craig Mullen

Jack Johnson

Jesse Dee

Isaac Nokes

Gideon Boafo

Jake Shorrocks

Connor Bailey

Nathan Wilde

Josh Eaves

Patrick Moran

Alex Foster

Brad Gallagher

Sam Hallas

Interchanges

Mitchell Clark

Lewis Peachey

Matt Nicholson

Alex Donaghy

I thought our fitness levels were really good yesterday. For me another big plus was young Malik Steel who really got stuck in for a young boy going straight into championship rugby. He looks a top prospect. 
It’s a big learning curve for a lot of our squad and hopefully when we come up against those who we’ll be battling against to stay up we can come out on top. 

I think last season we got away with having a small set of forwards ,and rolling on with the pens , but this season i think we could struggle even more unless we get some size in . In the first half we needed to get some points on the board even if it was through penalties .I think possibly Newcastle were feeling confident in their defence and kept giving pens away as we were obviously not taking the twos .Newcastle would still probably have won anyway with the conditions 2nd half , but we needed to give ourselves a chance .Matty Hensons injury didn`t look good so fingers crossed he wont be out for too long .The lads put in a top effort though and can`t be faulted for not  putting it in .   Only gripe is what one or two others have been saying....the problem with the popular side tannoy needs urgent attention . Yesterdays tribute to Stephen Holgate and Dessie couldn`t be heard which was a shame .

59 minutes ago, IanMac said:

I thought our fitness levels were really good yesterday. For me another big plus was young Malik Steel who really got stuck in for a young boy going straight into championship rugby. He looks a top prospect. 
It’s a big learning curve for a lot of our squad and hopefully when we come up against those who we’ll be battling against to stay up we can come out on top. 

Reminds me of Jarrad Stack. Tall, rangy lad. Looks a promising talent

1 hour ago, ivans82 said:

I think last season we got away with having a small set of forwards ,and rolling on with the pens , but this season i think we could struggle even more unless we get some size in . In the first half we needed to get some points on the board even if it was through penalties .I think possibly Newcastle were feeling confident in their defence and kept giving pens away as we were obviously not taking the twos .Newcastle would still probably have won anyway with the conditions 2nd half , but we needed to give ourselves a chance .Matty Hensons injury didn`t look good so fingers crossed he wont be out for too long .The lads put in a top effort though and can`t be faulted for not  putting it in .   Only gripe is what one or two others have been saying....the problem with the popular side tannoy needs urgent attention . Yesterdays tribute to Stephen Holgate and Dessie couldn`t be heard which was a shame .

I think most would agree on the size issue but to be fair to Town they did get lots of good field position yesterday and had plenty of sets in thunders 20.  Size yes but JD's gonna need a hand unlocking defences looking at yesterday's game

20 hours ago, bobg said:

.... but the elements conspired against us and Newcastle played them well.

Agreed, the change in the weather 2nd half stuffed us - had it been the other way round reckon we could have won. I'm assuming we lost the toss!

I guess pushing a player off the ball must be in the rules as we all saw it.

Thought Hutchins looked strong again but only on for 10 mins or so and can’t understand why he was always missed out the one time we were camped on their line 2nd half.

Hope I’m wrong but Henson injury doesn’t look good. One of our best attacking threats - Town luck strikes again.

2 hours ago, ivans82 said:

.the problem with the popular side tannoy needs urgent attention . Yesterdays tribute to Stephen Holgate and Dessie couldn`t be heard which was a shame .

It's not good is it? Can't hear any announcements.... I did contact the announcer after Haven game....he "thought the problem has been sorted"..... nope it hasn't got any better - hopefully Richard W and his volunteer crew (very busy I guess) can sort it for Fev visit????

Just watched a clip of the tries on Twitter and Alex was just taken out as he waited to collect the bouncing ball with the Newcastle player not even looking at the ball or trying to catch it. I would have thought that’s a penalty all day long

50/50 for me , he made a complete meal of it and then there was a bit of a coming together , and I don’t know if the fact he’d touched it made him fair game , but in reality he should have gone for the ball even if he dropped it . That’s his job, that was a bit soft tbh . That was self inflicted , and the two other second half tries were awful from our perspective . One bloke who spun out of a tackle and one inside pass that seemed to open a gap you could have drove a bus through. I think not going for points early doors , with weather coming in and with us not finding it easy to score , was poor game management , and we had the chances to have a double figure lead at half-time which we probably needed to have a shot 

Archived