6 hours ago, The Future is League said:

It's simple Carter. Get the players vaccinated. If they don't want get vaccinated they won't be going to France, it's that simple. Not just for themselves, but for their family and friends and fellow players

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/60026832

I haven’t read anything in that report that suggests he’s not in agreement with you.

6 hours ago, The Future is League said:

It's simple Carter. Get the players vaccinated. If they don't want get vaccinated they won't be going to France, it's that simple. Not just for themselves, but for their family and friends and fellow players

He does not make any point that is not in line with your assumption, on that how do you propose he gets players vaccinated when they do not want to ? On another note I think you will find he has said that future contract negotiations and signings will have the vaccination status taken into account.

Be interesting to see what the overall data is for the sport re vaccinations at each club, I would imagine it would be quite a surprise as to the numbers not jabbed up for covid.

4 minutes ago, Forever Trinity said:

He does not make any point that is not in line with your assumption, on that how do you propose he gets players vaccinated when they do not want to ? On another note I think you will find he has said that future contract negotiations and signings will have the vaccination status taken into account.

Be interesting to see what the overall data is for the sport re vaccinations at each club, I would imagine it would be quite a surprise as to the numbers not jabbed up for covid.

It's supposedly around 80% across the comp so Wakey's figures are bang in line with that.

7 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Breathtaking arrogance and ignorance even by the low standards of this forum, as exemplified by the level of the 3 amigos who've loved your post.

The last sentence is astonishingly stupid and shows you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how vaccines work. Being jabbed does not stop you from getting Covid or spreading it, the only protection it offers is to you. It's arrogant because you assume vaccination is the only correct option, well it isn't, it's a matter of choice and we are still a free country. I am triple jabbed by the way but that was my choice, I respect the choice of others all the same. This applies to Mr Carter, he cannot force anyone to have a jab and he doesn't have to in the UK, hence his business is not compromised. However it is when his team goes to France, yet the French teams have no such restrictions when operating in the UK, that is a fundamentally unfair advantage END OF.

The current difference in UK policy to that of the French warps the level playing field that should exist in the sport. It clearly does in the same way it did when certain clubs took advantage of the Covid situation to cancel games last season. Anyone with a brain can see that.

Have to laugh because if this were the other way around pro-French zealots like you would be screaming foul straight away, you are a total hypocrite.

Carter is right and IMO both French clubs should be suspended until the situation is cleared and then play their games later in the season. That won't happen because of their holy cow status and the general delusional mentality amongst some fans as to what is and isn't right.

A sixth of super league are based in a different country. 5 sixths are based here. The only way this works is to accept both sets of rules; and the French government are entitled to do what they want.

The alternative is Super League insists Catalans and Toulouse base themselves in Wigan and Leeds for the season, as the NRL have done with the Warriors.

35 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

The problem is even if they have their 1st Vaccine today if they have to wait 12 weeks for there follow up it’s a fair way into the season.

Not really a problem C since May 21

The COVID-19 Vaccine Janssen has  been given regulatory approval by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).

This  vaccine authorised by the UK’s independent regulator  is the first to be approved for protection against COVID-19 with a SINGLE DOSE

12 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Breathtaking arrogance and ignorance even by the low standards of this forum, as exemplified by the level of the 3 amigos who've loved your post.

The last sentence is astonishingly stupid and shows you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how vaccines work. Being jabbed does not stop you from getting Covid or spreading it, the only protection it offers is to you. It's arrogant because you assume vaccination is the only correct option, well it isn't, it's a matter of choice and we are still a free country. I am triple jabbed by the way but that was my choice, I respect the choice of others all the same. This applies to Mr Carter, he cannot force anyone to have a jab and he doesn't have to in the UK, hence his business is not compromised. However it is when his team goes to France, yet the French teams have no such restrictions when operating in the UK, that is a fundamentally unfair advantage END OF.

The current difference in UK policy to that of the French warps the level playing field that should exist in the sport. It clearly does in the same way it did when certain clubs took advantage of the Covid situation to cancel games last season. Anyone with a brain can see that.

Have to laugh because if this were the other way around pro-French zealots like you would be screaming foul straight away, you are a total hypocrite.

Carter is right and IMO both French clubs should be suspended until the situation is cleared and then play their games later in the season. That won't happen because of their holy cow status and the general delusional mentality amongst some fans as to what is and isn't right.

The French would see themselves as a free country too. And ever since we voted they have more power to take back any control they wish. I think you are right in what you say about advantage, but that means we are pitting French courts against the super league administration and I suspect I know who will win. If we were really keen to level up the advantage I think we could kick them out or make them decamp to England ( in which case I guess they would choose to leave) which personally I think would be unfair on them, rather than your point that it is currently unfair on the English teams, particularly as this is a decision made by a French Premier trying to make populist speeches on the run up to an election. 

I don't think there's an easy, fair, binary answer to this one. But I'm in the "it's a pandemic, it's hopefully getting towards the end, let's suck it up for this year and let the French play" camp. 

The main issue of concern seems to be the possibility of a rule change by France later in the season.  

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

59 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Maybe Carter is just worried that the players will try to use the 'socially distancing' option whilst on the pitch!

The French teams also have to follow this rule.

Unvaxxed TO or Catalans players cannot play in France.

The French teams are at a greater disadvantage than the UK clubs, with this French govt ruling.

But hey, don't let that stop your ignorant, tub-thumping indignation.

1 hour ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Get a grip. I agree a bit with Carter's comments which I interpreted mostly as a concern about some teams later on in the year possibly not being as disadvantaged compared to clubs going to France earlier. (like Wakefield).

But if these relatively minor difficulties arising because you like other clubs have a small band of moron players (even after getting of Ryan Hampshire) sends you into a tailspin like this then you need to man up.

The French clubs have much bigger hurdles to overcome on a bi-weekly basis and if they have a rump of non vaccinated players then they really are screwed.

2 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

For the players based in France to play they must be fully vaccinated by my understanding. so it absolutely applies to them as well. This isnt just about entering France.

i agree with Carter there is a bit of an unevenness if teams later in the season can go with a full squad but teams earlier in the season have had to leave players at home. However, this could happen with players catching Covid and being worse with it and therefore needing longer out due to not having the Vaccine, it could apply to general injuries and illness too or even visa issues now with brexit. Not only that but the league is also uneven due to some teams playing the best 3 times and others playing the worst 3 times.. 

It just seems like a good excuse to have a whinge.. something certain chairman seem to do far far too often... 

2 hours ago, M j M said:

It's supposedly around 80% across the comp so Wakey's figures are bang in line with that.

It’d be interesting to know which is the most vaccinated club and which is the least vaccinated club. There is still the possibility the UK could bring in similar rules to France, unvaccinated players may end up sitting out a large part of the season, it could have a large bearing on the league, particularly the relegation battle if the bottom 4 clubs have key players they can’t play against Toulouse particularly. Still I have no sympathy for anyone who is forced to miss games because they are unvaccinated, they have made their choice and must now face the consequences.

7 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It’d be interesting to know which is the most vaccinated club and which is the least vaccinated club. There is still the possibility the UK could bring in similar rules to France, unvaccinated players may end up sitting out a large part of the season, it could have a large bearing on the league, particularly the relegation battle if the bottom 4 clubs have key players they can’t play against Toulouse particularly. Still I have no sympathy for anyone who is forced to miss games because they are unvaccinated, they have made their choice and must now face the consequences.

arguably this could also affect the French clubs quite badly if their vaccination rates are quite low and therefore they cannot play. even if it means you can tear their contract up (which i doubt) you are still without them as players and it would take time to be able to get players in of equal/better quality..

Tolouse could end up playing 1/2 their games without their best players and only be allowed to play them in away games (if they can get in this country) where as UK teams only lose their players for 2 (or worst case 4) games in a season.

2 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Probably best not to talk about breathtaking ignorance and then go on to say "Being jabbed does not stop you from getting Covid or spreading it, the only protection it offers is to you"

Vaccines absolutely do reduce transmission.  Can you still catch Covid after being vaccinated, yes.  Can you still pass on Covid after being vaccinated, yes.  Do vaccines REDUCE the risk of both infection and onward transmission - YES.  People free from an agenda are able to understand that all three of those things can be true at the same time.

That is before considering that exposing yourself to more serious illness through refusing the vaccine increases the burden on a health service there to protect everyone from issues other than Covid.

"The only protection it (vaccination) offers is to you" - nope, sorry.

If anybody thinks this is just a SL issue, you clearly haven't been following what's going on down under. They have different rules per state, never mind country! Genuine talks of some players getting shipped out of the club if they don't get vaxxed due to the amount of games they'd miss. Away from RL, in the NBA you have the ridiculous situation whereby one of the Brooklyn Nets star players, Kyrie Irving, can only play away games because New York state law says he must be vaxxed. All a bit of a mess really and whilst it is absolutely everyone's right to choose, no person or organisation should believe that won't be without consequence. 

3 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

I think if your going to rant then you should check your facts as well. There's overwhelming scientific evidence (not speculation, evidence) that being jabbed provides protection for yourself from serious illness but also reduces the transmissibility of the virus from yourself to others.

So every player that's unvaccinated increases the chances of the virus spreading through that club.

There's plenty of things that clubs and the sport can do and stay within the law. Clubs can make those players train just amongst themselves and away from everyone else, they can refuse to play them (so they miss out on things like win bonuses), they can refuse them access to club facilities, etc. It wouldn't take long before fans find out exactly who these players are and end up 'turning on them' effectively forcing them out of the club.

If players don't want the vaccine, then that's their choice and legal right to refuse it, but they have to understand that there are likely to be consequences to them and their career's as RL players.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 hour ago, RP London said:

arguably this could also affect the French clubs quite badly if their vaccination rates are quite low and therefore they cannot play. even if it means you can tear their contract up (which i doubt) you are still without them as players and it would take time to be able to get players in of equal/better quality..

Tolouse could end up playing 1/2 their games without their best players and only be allowed to play them in away games (if they can get in this country) where as UK teams only lose their players for 2 (or worst case 4) games in a season.

I unvaccinated friends currently playing RL in France who are dead set against the vaccination and they have been told if they don't get the jab they cannot play full stop and their contracts will be cancelled.

3 minutes ago, binosh said:

I unvaccinated friends currently playing RL in France who are dead set against the vaccination and they have been told if they don't get the jab they cannot play full stop and their contracts will be cancelled.

so this will affect the clubs in France too. The players they have planned to be a part of the team may now not be able to be for the full season. 

Michael Carter is exactly right then, it will cause an issue but for Wakefield the effect will be small compared to that on the French teams.

Archived