Super League Table Predictions

Can't see Leeds finishing above Saints or Catalans.

I think the gap to Catalans was 12 points last year despite Leeds playing an extra game.  I think if Leeds get within 8 points of top spot in 2022 they will have had a good season.

1 Saints

2 Catalans

3 Leeds 

4 Warrington 

5 Wigan

6 Hull FC

7 Huddersfield 

8 Hull KR

9 Castleford 

10 Salford 

11 Wakefield 

12 Toulouse

Edited by FearTheVee

I reckon the French bookend the table this year! 

Outside of that it's like 3 mini comps IMO - Saints to Hull FC battling it out for best play off spots, Wigan to Hudds trying to scrape in to the play offs and Wakey and Salford just trying not to be the next worst side after Toulouse. 

1 Catalans

2 Saints

3 Leeds 

4 Warrington 

5 Hull FC

6 Wigan

7 Hull KR

8 Cas

9 Huddersfield

10 Wakefield

11 Salford

12 Toulouse

As a Leeds fan I think we are still one or two players short of challenging for the title and the youngsters still need a year or two more experience before they become the next Golden Generation.

Saints and Catalans will continue to dominate, with the Rhinos likely to come next. Wire, Wigan, Huddersfield and both Hulls could all finish 4th or 8th. Cas look weaker than in recent years and will struggle to be higher than 9th, whilst Wakefield, Salford and Toulouse all look likely to struggle.

• Like 1

Surprised so many people have HKR so far down the table. I don't think last year was a '1 off' I think they're genuine play-off contenders again this year, especially adding experienced champions like Coote into the team.

Don't think they quite have the ability to win the title, but certainly be up there, far more then their city rivals IMO.

• Like 2

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

12 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Surprised so many people have HKR so far down the table. I don't think last year was a '1 off' I think they're genuine play-off contenders again this year, especially adding experienced champions like Coote into the team.

Don't think they quite have the ability to win the title, but certainly be up there, far more then their city rivals IMO.

Like many others likely to be in the bottom half of the table Hull kr have a decent first choice 17 but very little depth to their squad. I actually think Toulouse have the weakest first choice starting 17 in Super League, but have more depth to their squad than their relegation rivals. An injury crisis is tough for any club but could be fatal for a bottom half club.

26 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Yeah for me they could be 5th to 8th - which obviously means a lot come the end of the season but does emphasise how close those potentially mid table sides are.

1 hour ago, FearTheVee said:

Can't see Leeds finishing above Saints or Catalans.

I think the gap to Catalans was 12 points last year despite Leeds playing an extra game.  I think if Leeds get within 8 points of top spot in 2022 they will have had a good season.

Leeds were decimated by injuries in 2021, even in pre season, this year is completely different with a clean bill of health for us. Add to that I think we have made the best signings of any club for 2022 in Fusitu’a, Sezer, Austin and Bentley. A new half back combination for Leeds, but one that played together with great success in the NRL with Canberra Raiders.

The youngsters in Oledski, Holroyd, Smith, Newman, Broadbent, Walker and Gannon are all a year on in development and experience and I believe our most exciting group of players to come through since the golden generation.

Leeds, Catalans and Saints are the 3 teams to beat, with Warrington potentially joining to make a top 4, they certainly should on paper the question is can Daryl Powell make it work at the it’s our year club.

Tbf Leeds had a dreadful start to last season with Injuries.

I think Wigan could go one of two ways with either new coach bounce or a poor season generally.

Catalans and Saints to be strong again.

I expect Toulouse v Salford to be relegation 4 pointers. Do they have loop fixtures?

• Like 1

Saints 

Cats 

Leeds 

Wire 

Hull 

Hull KR 

Wigan 

Huddersfield

Cas

Salford 

Toulouse 

Trinity 

I am pretty confident as to which teams will be in each block of 4, but not that confident as to how they will finish within those blocks. With Wigan, honestly it could be anywhere between 1st and 12th. We should know pretty soon after the Wire pre season game and the HKR and Leeds matches how they’ll go. Among the good sides, Leeds’ squad looks really good, and all eyes will be on what Powell can do with more resources available to him. 

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

I was going to post something similar. I really fancy them to have another top year, put it this way, I'm extremely nervous about Wigan going there on the opening day.

They have one of the best spines across the league for me in Coote, Abdull, Lewis and Parcell. It looks well balanced and has a bit of everything. You add in the experience they have in other positions via the likes of Hall, SKD and Linnett and the versatility a guy like Takirangi brings and they'll give it another good go. 

As for the rest, I'm probably not quite as sold on Catalans now being a regular top 2-3 contender as plenty of others. There's no doubt they're strong on paper but I'd like to see if they can start again and back up last year. I'm sure I'll change my mind if they're flying after a month or two. I think Powell will really kick Wire on and Leeds look strong.

As noted above, Wigan are an unknown quantity really. Our NRL signings weren't really regular starters, so is that because they weren't good enough? just unlucky? victims of immense competition? I hear really good things about them all but we'll wait and see. I'm confident the new coaching set up will get the minimum 20% every player left in the tank last year out of them but the league looks really strong this season. 

I'll go-

1-Saints 

2-Warrington

3-Leeds

4-Catalans

5-HKR

6-Wigan

7-Huddersfield

8-Castleford

9-Hull FC

10-Salford

11-Wakefield

12-Toulouse

2 minutes ago, super major said:

Possibly the potential problem of unvaccinated players not allowed into France could be decisive at both ends of the table.

Maybe East Yorkshire could have a similar ruling?

I am not sure we are allowed to comment on that, but assuming we are, then if those are the rules so be it. All clubs should have seen it coming, and planned accordingly. If it makes the difference between, say, Trinity staying up or not then that is on them. I think that the 4 good sides are so much better than the next 4 I can’t see that issue making any difference to who finishes in the top 4, but it’s certainly a factor in the Cats’ favour. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I am not sure we are allowed to comment on that, but assuming we are, then if those are the rules so be it. All clubs should have seen it coming, and planned accordingly. If it makes the difference between, say, Trinity staying up or not then that is on them. I think that the 4 good sides are so much better than the next 4 I can’t see that issue making any difference to who finishes in the top 4, but it’s certainly a factor in the Cats’ favour. 

Hopefully I am not derailing but it must be acknowledged that international laws could have an effect here

Catalans, Saints, Wigan, Leeds, Warrington in the play-offs not necessarily in that order. Catalans are our biggest threat by some distance. They’re stronger than they were when we played them in the Grand Final and replacing Maloney with Mitchell Pearce is great business and adding him, Napa and May to a side that includes Tomkins, Davies, Whare, Mourgue etc makes them look formidable and they’ll challenge on all fronts.

Wigan will be vastly improved without Lam. The bare minimum under Wane was always a tough, physical side who knew how to grind out wins and while the playing squads under Wane to this one aren’t really comparable, we’ll see a much improved Wigan. Cust is highly rated so it will be interesting to see how he gets on. 

Leeds have been building slowly and the signings of Bentley and Sezer look especially good and Warrington look to have signed some experience in Matautia and Holmes and with Williams dictating that side, they’ll be a threat.

Cas, Hull, KR, Huddersfield and Salford will be in no man’s land, not bothering the play-offs and not needing to look over their shoulders at the bottom. 

The relegation battle is Wakefield and Toulouse. I don’t rate Wakefield at all but I didn’t in 2021 and I think they’ll struggle. Carter’s moaning about the vaccine and travel to France comes across as a man running scared and I wonder how influential those players are that refuse to be vaccinated, with their games vs Toulouse being key. If they were to lose at least two of  Lino, Fifita, Tanginoa, Batchelor or Miller, they’d be at risk, certainly against Toulouse. As for Toulouse, they needed to come up years ago and have similar protection to Catalans but that’s another discussion for another time. They’re the favourites to go and rightly so, coming up so late left them behind everyone else and they’ll struggle as a result. 

6 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Thanks for your kind comments. Forgive me for stating our case but here it is.

Tony Smith has had 2 full years at the club and has been building and building. Not just the team but the squad. Not just the squad but the club. He started from a low base but history should tell you that at this stage Tony Smith teams really come into their own.

Good example is at half back where last year he put his faith in two 20 year olds with enormous talent in Mikey Lewis and Rowan Milnes both signed on long term deals. They both shone and with the experience they gained could be absolute dynamite this time plus of course Jordan Abdull, still only 25 and who last year blossomed into an England player. And with Danny McGuire as assistant coach could those three possibly have a better mentor?

At full back we'll be hoping that Lachlan Coote is available most of the time but behind him we have Will Dagger who is a quality young full back and then the ultra exciting prospect of Phoenix Laulu-Togaga'e. Be it this year, next year and probably sooner rather than later, this player is going to be something special. He's been making quality NRL players blush in training.

We retain our 5 main props from 2021 but have added Greg Richards (former Grand Final winner) and Tom Garratt who is an absolute physical brute. Back row we have added Frankie Halton who has suffered a disappointing injury this week but has been the stand out player in pre season plus we have the return of vice captain Elliot Minchella who missed the entire season in 2021.

I'm nonplussed at the suggestion that we don't have depth because for certain Tony Smith has been busy in this respect.

Of course every team has a right to be optimistic at the is stage and only time will tell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DimmestStar said:

Thanks for your kind comments. Forgive me for stating our case but here it is.

Tony Smith has had 2 full years at the club and has been building and building. Not just the team but the squad. Not just the squad but the club. He started from a low base but history should tell you that at this stage Tony Smith teams really come into their own.

Good example is at half back where last year he put his faith in two 20 year olds with enormous talent in Mikey Lewis and Rowan Milnes both signed on long term deals. They both shone and with the experience they gained could be absolute dynamite this time plus of course Jordan Abdull, still only 25 and who last year blossomed into an England player. And with Danny McGuire as assistant coach could those three possibly have a better mentor?

At full back we'll be hoping that Lachlan Coote is available most of the time but behind him we have Will Dagger who is a quality young full back and then the ultra exciting prospect of Phoenix Laulu-Togaga'e. Be it this year, next year and probably sooner rather than later, this player is going to be something special. He's been making quality NRL players blush in training.

We retain our 5 main props from 2021 but have added Greg Richards (former Grand Final winner) and Tom Garratt who is an absolute physical brute. Back row we have added Frankie Halton who has suffered a disappointing injury this week but has been the stand out player in pre season plus we have the return of vice captain Elliot Minchella who missed the entire season in 2021.

I'm nonplussed at the suggestion that we don't have depth because for certain Tony Smith has been busy in this respect.

Of course every team has a right to be optimistic at the is stage and only time will tell.

Good post with strong arguments put forward. I guess it’s easy to work on the assumption that KR surprised people last year and there won’t be that shock factor. 
I agree with your points, KR were great to watch last year and hopefully we’ll see more of the same from them in the coming season.

I think and hope that it’s a hard season to call.

Despite their strength a 4th consecutive title is a big ask of Saints. Catalans should be better again for last year’s experience and have recruited well. Leeds look stronger. I can never write off Wigan and the fact that so many do just might fire them up. Cas were cup finalists last time out, new coach Radford has won it twice, so that might be their best shout. Ian Watson will want, and I believe get, big improvements from what is more like his own Giants team now. I expect Wire to challenge but it might be a couple of years with the same coach before they finally break their hoodoo. I think Salford and Wakefield will struggle along with Toulouse. That leaves Hull…every damn year I predict them as a dark horse and every damn year I am left shaking my head, I am going to say mid table, which means they’ll be in both finals 😂

1 Saints 2 Wire 3 Catalans 4 Leeds 5 Wigan 6 Huddersfield 7 Hull KR 8 Hull FC 9 Cas 10 Wakefield 11 Salford 12 Toulouse.

I would be delighted if my predicted bottom six proved me wrong and shook up the table. We’ve had some different names in finals these last few years I hope that continues. Of course I want my team to win again but it’s  great for the game when a new name emerges from the pack. Good luck to all teams.

1 St Helens

2 Catalan

3 Leeds

4 Warrington

5 Hull KR

6 Wigan

7 Hull FC

8 Huddersfield

9 Cas

10 Wakefield

11 Salford

12 Toulouse

I think Cas and Wakey and Salford will soon regret their choices of coach but Toulouse seem to have far too much going against them to realistically survive. St Helens and Catalan probably still up at/near the top whilst Leeds and Warrington are the other realistic challengers.

Hull and Wigan look to be doing not very much at all just looking at the squads but maybe Wane's return will have some impact at Wigan - there won't be much in the way of exciting RL there though.