World Cup Cycle.

Be interested to read posters opinions on the ideal World Cup cycle. The inclusion of France will hopefully now give us a 12 year cycle between three host partners, but is this still too close between drinks ? In my opinion either 16 or 20 years between staging it would probably be ideal. Obviously the World Cup means different things to different hosts, for yourselves there is the element of getting some cut-through in the public consciousness and giving the game a much needed boost, probably similar for France but in a place where it has even less profile and fans and it may therefore suit you to hold it semi-regularly. Not sure on your thoughts of whether holding it every 12 years in Britain would be over doing the friendship though, but I certainly don`t think France would be ready for it in another 12 years.

Some suggestions:

*  hold it every 5 years and spin the rotation out to 15 years between events;

* Split the tournament in Australia (don`t laugh) NSW is in line to have at least 5 world class stadiums over the next decade, Stadium Australia, Penrith 30k, BankWest 25k, SFS 45k, upgraded Brookvale and Kogarah and possibly an NRL owned stadium in Sydney`s south west. These are going to be real `event ` type stadiums that might make all the difference to holding a successful tournament, throw in some  games at Newcastle and Canberra it might work. Queensland, Victoria the rest of Oz and NZ could hold their own tournament at a different part of the cycle;

* take a punt on somewhere like South Africa or the U.S. the former I believe put a bid in for 2017.

Anyway, thoughts welcome.

18 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Be interested to read posters opinions on the ideal World Cup cycle. The inclusion of France will hopefully now give us a 12 year cycle between three host partners, but is this still too close between drinks ? In my opinion either 16 or 20 years between staging it would probably be ideal. Obviously the World Cup means different things to different hosts, for yourselves there is the element of getting some cut-through in the public consciousness and giving the game a much needed boost, probably similar for France but in a place where it has even less profile and fans and it may therefore suit you to hold it semi-regularly. Not sure on your thoughts of whether holding it every 12 years in Britain would be over doing the friendship though, but I certainly don`t think France would be ready for it in another 12 years.

Some suggestions:

*  hold it every 5 years and spin the rotation out to 15 years between events;

* Split the tournament in Australia (don`t laugh) NSW is in line to have at least 5 world class stadiums over the next decade, Stadium Australia, Penrith 30k, BankWest 25k, SFS 45k, upgraded Brookvale and Kogarah and possibly an NRL owned stadium in Sydney`s south west. These are going to be real `event ` type stadiums that might make all the difference to holding a successful tournament, throw in some  games at Newcastle and Canberra it might work. Queensland, Victoria the rest of Oz and NZ could hold their own tournament at a different part of the cycle;

* take a punt on somewhere like South Africa or the U.S. the former I believe put a bid in for 2017.

Anyway, thoughts welcome.

Given how #### we are at organising any other tournaments outside the the World Cup it may be worth thinking about a WC every 3 years. We already have 2022 and 2025. So we could go 2028, 2031 and 2034. Hold European/Pacific and Qualifiers for one year in between and test matches/series in the other. 

12 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The reason we hold world cups in the years we do, is, like Union, to avoid other major international events like the Football World Cup, Olympics and (given its popularity) the Euros. Dare I even suggest the Union World Cup too.

I think that is the theory. I also think it’s a poor theory.

When are the Olympics, WC and Euros ever held in November?

2 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I think that is the theory. I also think it’s a poor theory.

When are the Olympics, WC and Euros ever held in November?

Its not just the specific dates as well, there is huge spillover and media attention. 

Four years isn’t enough imho, as we have no other meaningful international comps. In football they have the continental cups which are massive, Union has the six nations every year (and presumably a SH equivalent) and cricket seem to have about 10 world cups plus the ashes and all that. 

Ideally I’d like to see either the WC every two years or still every four with something meaningful in the two years inbetween. 

Schedule it as an annual event. That way, the Australians can chicken out three quarters of the time to boost their egos, thus restoring the 4-year cycle. :kolobok_wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Can’t help but feel the game missed a trick now expanding the Four Nations to the Intercontinental Cup a few years ago. Test Series between England - New Zealand - Australia is just nostalgic and doesn’t grow the sport.

It was a great idea and was why the 4 Nations was scrapped. It was to be another IRL event providing much needed funds to develop the international game. Then the NRL torpedoed it and nothing has since filled that void.

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

Given how #### we are at organising any other tournaments outside the the World Cup it may be worth thinking about a WC every 3 years. We already have 2022 and 2025. So we could go 2028, 2031 and 2034. Hold European/Pacific and Qualifiers for one year in between and test matches/series in the other. 

Agreed on other tournaments 

Many of us here are very keen on an annual four nations tournament 

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Literally this year lol

Ahhh yes, of course I forgot. First time in modern times if I recall. Normally take place in the British Summer doesn’t it?

51 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

It doesn’t appear on the AFL guide to “world” sport, so he couldn’t be expected to know. 😇

Take a break, you don’t have to be one all the time.

3 hours ago, Damien said:

It was a great idea and was why the 4 Nations was scrapped. It was to be another IRL event providing much needed funds to develop the international game. Then the NRL torpedoed it and nothing has since filled that void.

Yep the Confederations Cup idea is still the ideal competition for in between World Cups. Would give ‘emerging’ countries the chance to bid for a smaller major competition and a dry run for a later World Cup. This would have been ideal for say France to hold and gain event delivery experience - instead they are being thrown in with the biggest competition we have.

Also from a playing side it would be a meaningful major international competition. Scandalous that this got pulled by our NRL friends.

35 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

Yep the Confederations Cup idea is still the ideal competition for in between World Cups. Would give ‘emerging’ countries the chance to bid for a smaller major competition and a dry run for a later World Cup. This would have been ideal for say France to hold and gain event delivery experience - instead they are being thrown in with the biggest competition we have.

Also from a playing side it would be a meaningful major international competition. Scandalous that this got pulled by our NRL friends.

A World Cup every 4 years, Confederations Cup every 4 years in the middle of that then Northern and Southern hemisphere tours either side of that is pretty much the perfect 4 year cycle in my opinion. Mid season internationals for teams in your own hemisphere then like a European and Pacific Cup. Nice, simple and straightforward.

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

Four years isn’t enough imho, as we have no other meaningful international comps. In football they have the continental cups which are massive, Union has the six nations every year (and presumably a SH equivalent) and cricket seem to have about 10 world cups plus the ashes and all that. 

Ideally I’d like to see either the WC every two years or still every four with something meaningful in the two years inbetween. 

2 is too few. Europe have stated that they want a Euro competition every 2 years but the problem is that England are too strong for the others at the moment. So we'll have to field a second or third team to give it some integrity.

1 minute ago, NW10LDN said:

2 is too few. Europe have stated that they want a Euro competition every 2 years but the problem is that England are too strong for the others at the moment. So we'll have to field a second or third team to give it some integrity.

Which would be no good for our first team. If that happened we’d have to play an Ashes series while it was on. 

22 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

And would also immediately make the tournament a commercial bomb and waste of time for the other nations. England just haven´t put the long term hard yards or funding in place to make sure we have a competitive european international game and have been left exposed now ball has gone home. 

Australia and Kiwis don´t need us, they have a good thing going with Oceanic Cup. We need to look to build our own version of such a tournament. 

Thank you, finally a little bit of reality being injected into the debate. I know this is a forum and posters are free to fantasise but seriously some of the stuff on here is cloud-cuckoo land totally removed from the commercial and practical realities.

As I said before the up-coming WC has an element of post-covid euphoria around it, and the funds committed by the British Gov`t reflect that, will they be so forthcoming if the hand goes out again in 11 years. 

As far as France goes there is a lot of excitement surrounding the return of the Cup after 50 years, but for a country where League is a minor sport is foisting it on them again in 12 years time taking too much of a risk ? Can we realistically expect the French Gov`t to come on board again with the same enthusiasm. 

I`d be very wary of rushing the France thing too much because a dud tournament could undo all the work done in getting them this tournament. Id be aiming to go back there in a minimum 16 years. A seriously dud tournament because we went back there too soon would make it very hard to go there again for much longer. That would be a disaster.

If another host can be found for 2033 that could push Britain out to 2037 and France again in 2041 more in line I think with the kind of status that a WC should have and making it more of the special event it should be that only comes to your country if not once in a generation at least close to it.

QQThe financial success of the World Cup is pretty much what underpins the IRL, so I don't see them anytime soon wanting to increase / change the number of years between each tournament. 

The organisation is close enough to bankruptcy now after England was pushed back a year.

This heavy financial dependence on one event certainly doesn't help when it comes to potential hosts. Arguably New Zealand could host a World Cup on their own, but they make more money by playing some games in Australia, PNG has a number of decent venues getting built (or now built after the Pacific Games), but would struggle to make a decent profit.

In the Northern Hemisphere, the Welsh Government has shown they are happy to invest in RL World Cup matches, but the region is too small to host an entire tournament, so you'd end up with it being like 2013 again. 

Outside of them (and of course Eng, Aus, Fra), not sure who else would be a realistic option.  Serbia/Eastern Europe maybe if they could find some cash, Brazil maybe in another 10 or so years based upon their current rate of growth.

USA / Canada I feel are unrealistic anytime soon, just cause there isn't enough foundations, South Africa, don't know enough about who was backed their 2017 bid to comment. 

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

6 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Thank you, finally a little bit of reality being injected into the debate. I know this is a forum and posters are free to fantasise but seriously some of the stuff on here is cloud-cuckoo land totally removed from the commercial and practical realities.

As I said before the up-coming WC has an element of post-covid euphoria around it, and the funds committed by the British Gov`t reflect that, will they be so forthcoming if the hand goes out again in 11 years. 

You are just making this stuff up. Funds committed have nothing to do with Covid and were in place well before Covid was even a thing.

The euphoria and excitement around RLWC 2021 was also there and building nicely before Covid. If anything Covid and the forced postponement by the NRL has only harmed that.

Every 5 years.

Alternate southern / northern hemisphere

with a Lions v Ausy series on the “odd” years (ie year 3)

fit in NZ / PNG in year 2 and 4

Nice balance that maxs out a thin international base

optimises resources 

10 hours ago, JT RL said:

Every 5 years.

Alternate southern / northern hemisphere

with a Lions v Ausy series on the “odd” years (ie year 3)

fit in NZ / PNG in year 2 and 4

Nice balance that maxs out a thin international base

optimises resources 

Do you mean every 4th year as follows:

year 1 WC

Year 2 NZ series

Year3 Aus series

Year 4 Pacific nation series (not sure Id see this always being PNG)

Year 5 WC

Looks decent

Archived