North America Rugby League

Eddie

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It wouldn’t be proper Rugby League without a destructive schism. 

Yep only in Rugby League would you find confusion over which one of the two made-up New York teams who have never actually played a game are in which of the two competing part-time leagues. Peak RL 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, theswanmcr said:

Yep only in Rugby League would you find confusion over which one of the two made-up New York teams who have never actually played a game are in which of the two competing part-time leagues. Peak RL 🤣

The schism, is about what they are always about.

Control.

They are both looking forward to a time when the game is well developed and there's lots of media interest and sizeable financial backing/revenue and they want to be sat in the owners chair.

They're too self centered to see that cooperation, (and a competitive International team) could be the quickest way to get there. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Why wouldn’t Jacksonville get involved in this?

I am no expert when it comes to USA RL. But after years of being the benchmark team and the epicentre of US activity, it seems Jacksonville have been quiet now for the last 3-4 years. And I believe it is down to the departure of their main man, Spinner Howland (returned to Aus I think?). I suspect nobody was able to step up and fill the void he left.

I think Spinner was also an active member on this forum at one stage too. 

4 minutes ago, langpark said:

I am no expert when it comes to USA RL. But after years of being the benchmark team and the epicentre of US activity, it seems Jacksonville have been quiet now for the last 3-4 years. And I believe it is down to the departure of their main man, Spinner Howland (returned to Aus I think?). I suspect nobody was able to step up and fill the void he left.

I think Spinner was also an active member on this forum at one stage too. 

They’re still active on Facebook, though admittedly that isn’t definitive https://m.facebook.com/JaxAxemen

9 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Isn't there some schism between NARL and USARL? (Soooo Rugby League)

There's background.

But there's also an active review being led by International RL which is meant to be sorting it out.

Though I have no idea how that's going. Something for one of our many RL scribblers to ask?

https://www.intrl.sport/news/usarl-governance-consultation-open/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 18/01/2022 at 23:39, Kayakman said:

I'm looking forward to going down to the games.  I think you are right about the size of the thing...its like the Original Six in hockey.  I'll even fly with the wife down to Washington to follow the team...I love that city!

Yes I enjoyed Washington more than other US cities I have been to....a nice little trip that would be

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

They’re still active on Facebook, though admittedly that isn’t definitive https://m.facebook.com/JaxAxemen

yes I am not suggesting they folded, or are completely inactive, just seems they are a lot less active than they used to be (and I think that began about a year before the pandemic started).  Also, that most recent post seems to be advertising a rugby union coaching clinic, unfortunately.

• Like 2

On 20/01/2022 at 07:36, Eddie said:

It wouldn’t be proper Rugby League without a destructive schism. 

youre right.. I went to the gym this morning in my England training shorts and had one of those... but i put it more down to a big Christmas and a Curry last night but now i believe you are right and it is all down to the shorts themselves..

1 hour ago, RP London said:

youre right.. I went to the gym this morning in my England training shorts and had one of those... but i put it more down to a big Christmas and a Curry last night but now i believe you are right and it is all down to the shorts themselves..

Clearly it was the shorts....speaking for myself I've put on a bit of weight but with the temperature outside at -25C this morning I'm simply not going out X Country skiing....my kids tell me I'm getting soft in my old age.

Can't wait to see the fixtures list.

• Like 2

On 24/01/2022 at 10:48, Kayakman said:

Clearly it was the shorts....speaking for myself I've put on a bit of weight but with the temperature outside at -25C this morning I'm simply not going out X Country skiing....my kids tell me I'm getting soft in my old age.

Can't wait to see the fixtures list.

Not Canoe weather Kayakman? 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

In strange fashion the clubs have released the round 1 draw whilst nothing has come from the official @NArugbyleague account.

Team 6 still TBC.

I may be missing the obvious, but does it even say which city the games are being held in? 

39 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Not Canoe weather Kayakman? 

Not even close my friend.  Here is the forecast:.

Hazards:
Minimum temperatures of minus 21 to 27 degrees Celsius with wind chill values between minus 28 to minus 33.

When:
Tonight through Wednesday morning.

Discussion:
Bitterly cold arctic air settles over the region once again.

Extreme cold puts everyone at risk.

Risks are greater for young children, older adults, people with chronic illnesses, people working or exercising outdoors, and those without proper shelter.

Dress warmly. Dress in layers that you can remove if you get too warm. The outer layer should be wind resistant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Are people going to start supporting Team Six like that guy supported the Bye in the NRL?

I heard Leigh might be trying to get in on it....Harry might be behind it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Not even close my friend.  Here is the forecast:.

Hazards:
Minimum temperatures of minus 21 to 27 degrees Celsius with wind chill values between minus 28 to minus 33.

When:
Tonight through Wednesday morning.

Discussion:
Bitterly cold arctic air settles over the region once again.

Extreme cold puts everyone at risk.

Risks are greater for young children, older adults, people with chronic illnesses, people working or exercising outdoors, and those without proper shelter.

Dress warmly. Dress in layers that you can remove if you get too warm. The outer layer should be wind resistant.

I miss winter Rugby League. 

• Haha 1

NARL have now announced it too. Oh dear, what a mess. The whole idea of today was supposedly to announce the sixth team and instead, they just "announced" things that we already knew, plus:

- No venue announcement 

- After all that, still a *disclaimer that all of this is subject to change.