Toulouse imploding

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

Have you just realised where Toulouse is?

I would love to see the LE article if Michael Carter found out he had to fork out for a French translation of the Wakefield website.

Yeah would be worth it just for that! And surely Toulouse supporters, new and exited for SL, want to easily read all about this week’s plans to update Belle Vue 🤣

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

This is a devastating blow for Toulouse, it could result in their ultimate relegation,

With how they have recruited for the rigours and requirements of a full season in SL, I consider their ultimate relegation this year was nailed on before a ball is kicked, they have got a lot of experience in the side but experience is gained through age and with age comes an extension of how long a body needs to recover from the knocks, bruises and injuries that inevitably will occur, to many of their go to player's fall into this category.

And as I said in a previous post at this stage of the year where will they find replacements should player's leave en-mass because of their reluctance for whatever reason of partaking in the vaccination program.

1 hour ago, UTK said:

If they had more money I daresay higher profile signings would've been made before this point. Important to remember that TO have just effectively undergone 2 years without home games and that associated revenue.

From comments last season on TO's suitability for life in SL on these pages, I was lead to believe that finances were not a problem, it would be of no concern for the wealth of their backers and 10K+ Crowds would be the norm in such a big city.

This is far from ideal. But we if played right they could be ok. For me if I were them I’d be looking to sign escare from Salford to cover fb and use the quota spot to sign a prop. I’d also be looking to take the likes of seguier and Jillian on lone.

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

Are Fev fully vaccinated? 

As the figure is 85% fully vaccinated I would guess most clubs have unvacinated players

And clubs like Catalans are at 100% too, which means some must be a fair few below that.

44 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

From comments last season on TO's suitability for life in SL on these pages, I was lead to believe that finances were not a problem, it would be of no concern for the wealth of their backers and 10K+ Crowds would be the norm in such a big city.

I don't think there are many RL clubs in the world (if any) that could eat 2 years without matchday income or significant central distribution while paying wages and travelling internationally for matches. 

The two games they did manage to get last season suggest the 10k+ crowds are well and truly on the cards which pleasantly surprised me, something that the vast majority of NH clubs could only dream of.

22 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

And clubs like Catalans are at 100% too, which means some must be a fair few below that.

Yes quite right Tommy, talking about percentage numbers of the whole of registered player's at SL club's is not the correct way to address this, it should be stated as the actual numbers at each club who would be unavailable through not being jabbed.

Press release from Toulouse Olympique XIII following the article published today on Examiner Live.Following recent government announcements related to the health restrictions imposed on athletes playing in France, Toulouse Olympique is indeed still in conversation with certain players on this subject.The club wishes to respect medical secrecy and therefore will not reveal the names of the players concerned.To date, the 27 players in the squad are still contracted to Toulouse Olympique XIII.The club has no further comment at this stage.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes quite right Tommy, talking about percentage numbers of the whole of registered player's at SL club's is not the correct way to address this, it should be stated as the actual numbers at each club who would be unavailable through not being jabbed.

Quite. Take Wakefield for example, 6 out of 33 unvaxxed (just over 80% if my maths is right) atm.

Though that 33 will include fringe/academy players too of course. If the 6 are part of the top 25 or even top 17 earners then that is a bigger deal for them.

I was worried for Toulouse anyway. When you look at their squad it was far weaker than their relegation rivals anyway.

Take Kheirallah and four or five others from it, potentially including Ford, then I struggle to see how they compete, let alone survive.

11 minutes ago, barnyia said:

I can't believe toulouse still have to pay the travel costs of teams coming to France, unless they got it wrong in the local French paper, 

Say it ain't so Joe!

16 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

I think I’d still rather see a depleted Toulouse side, just for the novelty of building some French RL presence in their own media, as with Cats the last couple of years.

I just hope that they're not so depleted that it does more harm than good, and fans lose interest.

Wouldn't be surprised if we see that last season was damaging to Leigh when we see attendances this season, which I suspect might end up back to 1-1.5k

Couple of quick points:

1) the proposed legislation in France would prevent un-vaccinated people from entering any public buildings. I dare say such an inconvenience for you would sway some into getting the jab.

2) Khierellah has been seen training with the team and TO has shared such content. So fair to say the relationship isn’t imploding. 
3) There are plenty of solid French players waiting for a crack at SL. If they aren’t getting their chance at Catalans, why not sign a loan deal for 2022 with TO?

4 minutes ago, dealwithit said:

Couple of quick points:

1) the proposed legislation in France would prevent un-vaccinated people from entering any public buildings. I dare say such an inconvenience for you would sway some into getting the jab.

I'm sure most will just get a fake pass............quite common in Ireland when they mandated it

53 minutes ago, barnyia said:

I can't believe toulouse still have to pay the travel costs of teams coming to France, unless they got it wrong in the local French paper, 

Yes, this is the reason why their close season player spending was restricted. 

They really should be exempt from relegation but some prefer the virtual cycle of clubs yo-yoing and then getting into financial difficulties

22 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Does anyone think that SL is ready for 14 teams?

Two promoted and no relegation this year.

Yes, but I don’t think it’ll happen on the back of Covid and a reduced TV deal. Super League should have never reduced from 14 to 12 teams. Hopefully we get back to a 14 team competition within a few years.

Archived