Toulouse imploding

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Yes, this is the reason why their close season player spending was restricted. 

They really should be exempt from relegation but some prefer the virtual cycle of clubs yo-yoing and then getting into financial difficulties

Then SL and the English clubs are no less self interested than the NRL, just with a lot less ambition.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, barnyia said:

I can't believe toulouse still have to pay the travel costs of teams coming to France, unless they got it wrong in the local French paper, 

Even in the full time Super League? It sort of makes sense when they were in the lower leagues but not Super League. 

2 hours ago, barnyia said:

I can't believe toulouse still have to pay the travel costs of teams coming to France, unless they got it wrong in the local French paper, 

Back in October a certain club was anonymously complaining Toulouse were not welcome in SL as they brought no away fans or TV subscribers and it was going to cost them around £30K to visit so I don't think that is true unless it has been changed secretly. The better run clubs, Leeds in particular, try to offset the travel cost by organising supporter/corporate trips which generate income. 

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/toulouse-boss-on-recruitment-home-attendances-and-super-league-challenge/

3/4 way down the article it says they had to pay travel for teams in the championship and will negotiate for next season in super League, this article was the 11th October, 

The French paper said it had to put away team travel costs into their 6 million euros budget, 

17 hours ago, RayCee said:

Michael Carter can now breathe a little easier.

Why? If 82% of SL players are vaccinated Wakefield are average on that now include Catalans and Wire who have stated they are at 100% then some clubs have way more players unvaccinated than Wakefield, probably other clubs have sheep Chairman at least MC is not afraid to raise difficult subjects of which the meeting yesterday failed to resolve this one in any shape or form just deferring it!

7 minutes ago, Forever Trinity said:

Why? If 82% of SL players are vaccinated Wakefield are average on that now include Catalans and Wire who have stated they are at 100% then some clubs have way more players unvaccinated than Wakefield, probably other clubs have sheep Chairman at least MC is not afraid to raise difficult subjects of which the meeting yesterday failed to resolve this one in any shape or form just deferring it!

Because losing five or six players permanently this close to the season starting is probably a bigger detriment to Toulouse than Wakefield losing four or five players for one fixture this year. 

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Yes, this is the reason why their close season player spending was restricted. 

They really should be exempt from relegation but some prefer the virtual cycle of clubs yo-yoing and then getting into financial difficulties

Which of the last club's relegated save for London in '19 who had the bad luck of being relegated when the next season was hit by COVID  and Bradford in '14 have got into financial difficulties? In Bradford's case their financial difficulties started long before they got relegated, and I doubt any of those two will be yo-yoing for a while. So since P&R was reinstated in '15 excepting London only Leigh and HKR have been relegated and both of those have not suffered financially.

Just now, Jughead said:

Because losing five or six players permanently this close to the season starting is probably a bigger detriment to Toulouse than Wakefield losing four or five players for one fixture this year. 

Thats not my point, I am pointing out MC raised the issue of vaccinations everyone jumped on Wakefield having 4 to 6 players possibly unvaccinated which is the sport average, Wakefield must be in a much better position than some other clubs as at least 2 clubs have said they are at 100% TO are basically the same average as Wakefield that leaves the remaining 8 who on average must have more than 6 players unvaccinated so its more detrimental to them. Carters point was also that clubs playing earlier in the season could be disadvantaged if the rules were changed later.

For me I would just have a UK SL now it maybe a few years before things really settle down again.

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

No they really shouldn't. When you start twisting the rules to benefit one cub over another it just makes a complete mockery of the whole competition. 1 set of rules that everyone plays under.

If you want P&R then the best team from the Championship comes up and replaces the worst team in SL whoever they are and wherever they're from. If you want a league that has guaranteed places for clubs depending on other criteria (such as location) then scrap P&R and return to licencing.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

I'd do like the NFL in America, Lancashire league and a Yorkshire league, then the  champions of the Lancashire play offs  v the champions of Yorkshire play offs  to become the champion of UK and Europe or just say world like they do in the USA. 

16 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Might be a blessing in disguise for them getting rid of these anti-vax idiots. Not sure who the others are but Ford and Kherellah are the wrong side of 30 and not the players they were. Toulouse's recruitment has been awful so maybe this gives them another stab at it, albeit late in the game.

Is that you Telfon ?

24 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Wakefield ....signings look weak (Davetanivalu from the army and Minns who was Champ bound ??? Strewth)

Also the ground distraction /Poching's honeymoon over/Covid deniers in squad.....

I think Wakefield will keep their SL status, they have a habit of getting the results when they matter, Salford have recruited well enough to not finish bottom, so in my opinion if promoted to the SL how would Fev go with some player's part time, not to well they are better if staying where they are, also if any club could not learn from how Leigh were treated last year they would be crazy to accept an invitation but if they did it would have to be on their terms and not SL's, sorry but TO are going to have to lump it and do their best.

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I think Wakefield will keep their SL status, they have a habit of getting the results when they matter,

Brings me back to that Friday night standing on the Western Terrace at belle Vue in 2019......there were more of us there as away support that night as there was at the Haven game in Ealing last year 

12 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

how would Fev go with some player's part time, not to well they are better if staying where they are

Part time or not I was there for the friendly against Rhinos....they went toe to toe with their mostly first team in the first half....and people are saying leeds are contenders 

Also that track at Fev will be a leveller for part of the season at last.....

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Part time or not I was there for the friendly against Rhinos....they went toe to toe with their mostly first team in the first half....and people are saying leeds are contenders 

Also that track at Fev will be a leveller for part of the season at last.....

Getting up for a one off game in pre season is one thing, keeping it up for s season long campaign and having a full time job besides is a whole different ball game, especially in this season where there are going to be weeks with 2 games to play.

39 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Getting up for a one off game in pre season is one thing, keeping it up for s season long campaign and having a full time job besides is a whole different ball game, especially in this season where there are going to be weeks with 2 games to play.

I think if they went full time with current squad and some additions they'd be OK personally....

Archived