Toulouse imploding

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

I really doubt that the medical/physio advice favours an early start,getting through the airport,spending 2.5 hrs sat on an airliner in a pressurised atmosphere & then playing a game of high level professional sport a few hours later.

Based on what Dave?  I saw very few teams do much other than laze about, go onto the golf driving range or went down to the harbour in st.cyprien plage. 

I do remember seeing Saints, Wire, Leeds do some running up to Canet and then light ball work with a swim after but I don’t know what other facilities clubs tried to use (Uni, Esteve, USAP etc)

Would be interesting to see whether the decision is purely cost related or their is some fitness implication.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Weddings/functions would be a problem however its a big complex they could have been housed well away from the main building.

All I used to see was a happy band of players lounging by the pool and for those that went back on a Monday a day at the beach however to be fair this was 15 years ago.

With the lack of European and international travel for a top rugby league player i am sure that the majority would be happy with a few days in France:)

Paul

And golf presentations.  

So what is the madness you speak about?  It’s a genuine question because most teams seemed to be adopting it.

8 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

And golf presentations.  

So what is the madness you speak about?  It’s a genuine question because most teams seemed to be adopting it.

Lowdesert I just personally think that in this day and age for a professional sports team to fly into France (The South as well) play a match and fly out again is madness.

Thats my personal opinion but maybe the players feel differently the lure of being back in Wigan by 10pm to make the pub before closing time is maybe too much:)

Paul

1 minute ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Lowdesert I just personally think that in this day and age for a professional sports team to fly into France (The South as well) play a match and fly out again is madness.

Thats my personal opinion but maybe the players feel differently the lure of being back in Wigan by 10pm to make the pub before closing time is maybe too much:)

Paul

Why specifically is it madness though?

They are there to do a job.

This is not all of the full report as the fine details require membership but it suggests that there is an affect (which we know really) but it’s not as pronounced as perceived to be.  The report refers to ‘without crossing timezones’ - well, we do cross one in a 2 hour flight to TO or CAts.

The results suggest that short haul air travel without crossing time zones results in symptoms of travel fatigue but does not appear to negatively impact on elite RL players ability to perform strength and power tasks. Different game tactics (attacking vs. defensive) occurred between home and away games however, it is unclear whether travel fatigue or a home advantage (HA) is associated with this finding.”

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/figure/10.1080/17461391.2011.654270?scroll=top&needAccess=true

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, kiggy said:

https://www.to13.com/a-la-une/breaking-le-to-signe-olly-ashall-bott/ 

Just need a half or two and a couple of props now 

To be honest I don’t know they they aren’t trying for James Maloney and Sam Moa, if they aren’t, and then put Casty around the spin for another year. Short term problems solved.

Rugby League World writer

Twitter: @a_hope14
Mobile: iPhone 3

On 09/02/2022 at 10:55, Davo5 said:

I really doubt that the medical/physio advice favours an early start,getting through the airport,spending 2.5 hrs sat on an airliner in a pressurised atmosphere & then playing a game of high level professional sport a few hours later.

The wait in the airport can be the time to fuel correctly and relax. 

It may not be ideal but it's certainly possible and you can plan accordingly, I don't see an issue 

Moa is defence coach at the Catalan, casty coach at Toulouse and Toulouse elite, I can't see him coming out of retirement, I can't see Maloney giving up the well paid easy life of traveling and playing in the elite comp to lose with toulouse every week 

Just now, daz39 said:

Shame to lose OAB but he was only going to be a squad player at Fartown, he's a smashing kid with plenty of talent and i hope he enjoys his time over there, plus we get a transfer fee.

Just going to post something similar Daz.  He's a good lad, shame to let him go.

26 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Shame to lose OAB but he was only going to be a squad player at Fartown, he's a smashing kid with plenty of talent and i hope he enjoys his time over there, plus we get a transfer fee.

What a fabulous opportunity for him to live in another country, learn the language and about the culture etc. It’s a shame that RL doesn’t offer the same opportunities in that regard as many other sports. 

47 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Moa is defence coach at the Catalan, casty coach at Toulouse and Toulouse elite, I can't see him coming out of retirement, I can't see Maloney giving up the well paid easy life of traveling and playing in the elite comp to lose with toulouse every week 

I expect they will have chased Maloney but he must be happily semi retired playing in the French Elite 1.

I’m sure Toulouse will bring a player in from the NRL but few players are available and even when a deal is done visas etc then need to go through  (or 2 if Kheirallah leaves and frees up another quota spot) 

8 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Does it not take less time to fly from say Manchester to Perpignan than it does to take the train from say Newcastle to Leigh? 

Not sure if there is an airport in Leigh, but I know from reading this forum that there isn't a railway station

27 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

Ford, who was supposed to retire and left the club, proposed himself to several Championship and SL clubs.

We call that a liar.

No he didn't retire. Yes, he left the club.

"By mutual agreement, Toulouse Olympique XIII and Johnathon Ford have decided to terminate the player's engagement with immediate effect"

14 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I expect they will have chased Maloney but he must be happily semi retired playing in the French Elite 1.

I’m sure Toulouse will bring a player in from the NRL but few players are available and even when a deal is done visas etc then need to go through  (or 2 if Kheirallah leaves and frees up another quota spot) 

Marcon, springer, hansen, belmas, peyroux ashall, shaumkel,  are soon back in the game. 

Archived