Toulouse imploding

4 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Looks like Ford is fishing around for a job and open to any offers:

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/johnathon-ford-super-league-toulouse-23242574

At 32 and with his image somewhat tarnished I seriously doubt we'll see him back in British RL at any level, almost zero chance of joining a SL club.

I like his optimism but I doubt any Super League club would take him. Cornwall are still recruiting, he’d be a decent signing for them.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I think he would have been targeted in SL both with and without the ball in his hand and I don't think that would suit his game, I am sure in the 10 years he has even in France he would have had the opportunity to test himself at a higher grade, choosing not to do so says something to me about his character.

Yeah,he preferred the lifestyle/climate/culture the South of France offered him & his family maybe.

44 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Yeah,he preferred the lifestyle/climate/culture the South of France offered him & his family maybe.

I would have swapped my meagre existence for such circumstances, but the mentality of sportsmen is somewhat different - so I'm told - in that they desire to achieve to test themselves with and against the best, so put in perspective he leaves Aus after playing 3 games, played in the French domestic comp for 4 years, then the second division of the British RL system, as I said I suspect that days something about his character.

21 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I think he would have been targeted in SL both with and without the ball in his hand and I don't think that would suit his game, I am sure in the 10 years he has even in France he would have had the opportunity to test himself at a higher grade, choosing not to do so says something to me about his character.

You are saying he is a coward then..fair enough. 

For what it's worth I disagree, I've only been part of his journey for 6 years, but I saw someone who could make a huge difference on the pitch and was not afraid to out his body on the line.

I categorically disagree with with his antivax stance, but i would absolutely defend his right to that point of view.

That to me shows his true character.

His views coupled with the new French government rules has ruled him out. So be it.

It's sad that the pass sanitaire will be redundant in the next couple of months but the likes of Ford and Kheirallah, will have been moved on, and it's up to TO to make the best of it without them.

Oh, and looking at the level of referring this season, with the rules protecting players, nobody would be "targeting" him long after the 2nd game (if you had watched much of TO you would realise how much he has been targeted..he gets hit he gets up again) , not unless they want to spend 10 minutes in the sin bin... or worse... he would have shone. 

But, as I have said before, it's a moot point.

14 hours ago, barnyia said:

It's definitely happening on the 14th march, coincidentally it was announced a couple of hours before macron announced he's going to run in the presidential elections again, 

Pure coincidence I'm sure. 

Anyway good to see the unravelling of some authoritarian measures. Now to resolve those further east

3 hours ago, RL Sonja said:

Hopefully the close loss to Wigan will be the start of better things for Toulouse. They played well. 

Hopefully they take heart from a good performance rather than dropping their heads because they put in so much and came up empty handed. These things can work either way.

9 minutes ago, MZH said:

Hopefully they take heart from a good performance rather than dropping their heads because they put in so much and came up empty handed. These things can work either way.

Indeed. Wakefield next week could be an ideal opportunity for Toulouse - much more pressure on Trin.

5 hours ago, MZH said:

Indeed they can, but my suspicion, from the outside looking in, is that Houles is an exceptionally good manager of people - both as individuals and, collectively, as a team.  It's a skill that I think he shares with, amongst others, MacNamara at Les Dracs.

Soi, I am sure that Olympique will be in the right mindset; the issues will be the quality of their play and that of Trinity.

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Indeed. Wakefield next week could be an ideal opportunity for Toulouse - much more pressure on Trin.

I think that result will make sure that Wakefield are more focused on the job in hand other than if TO had come up again with a 30 point or thereabouts loss, the games between the bottom 4 clubs could prove to be "4 pointers" come the end of the season, TO would have been better finding the form they showed yesterday for next week and ambushing Wakefield rather than advertising that they are no pushovers.

I think Wakey will win comfortably if TO don't get that defence sorted.

The desperation of Leigh fans to death ride Toulouse is funny and pathetic in equal measure.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

The desperation of Leigh fans to death ride Toulouse is funny and pathetic in equal measure.

It's embarrassing to see grown men act like that isn't it, actual adults.

3 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

France union at home same day Tou play Saints but after that restrictions are gone and starts too look like a clearer run. 

If they can chuck that Wigan performance in against so of the less fancied teams then they could be grabbing enough points to stay in the Hunt. 

Think results will come at home for them and away might be some shellackings. 

They play Wakefield x3 and have to win at least 2 of those. Home wins targeting inconsistent clubs like Cas, Salford, Hull KR, Hull, Leeds are the only way for them to mount a challenge.

IMO they would need at least 8 wins to survive. Maybe more but less than 8 and it's curtains.

5 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yeah probably need 2 out of 3 vs wakefield and split with the other 5 (KR,  Salford, Cas,  Giants) and sneak a result against someone like Wigan. 

The longer they stay in it the stronger they will get.Even if they narrowly go down I still think there is life in the project. 

I see similarities between how Danny Ward worked with (and galvanised) that London squad in 2019 and Houles with Toulouse.

They know they are outgunned but they only need to win one more game than one of the remaining 11 SL clubs.

1 hour ago, dkw said:

It's embarrassing to see grown men act like that isn't it, actual adults.

They seem to think they're offering some clever insight when of course it is obvious to everyone that Toulouse are struggling. All you can ask is that they improve from week to week and there are signs they are doing that.

Anyone who has met or listened to Sylvain Houlès will know he isnt a guy who is going to throw himself off a bridge (or let his players do so) after one narrow disappointment. Then again, if your spiritual leader is Derek Beaumont I can see why you'd expect the toys to go straight out of the pram.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

The only current way a promoted side stays up is if a SL side implodes, TO would have been looking at Wakey and Salford to do that - Salford grabbed the 2 wins to breath so its Wakey or bust.

We either move the Championship season to finish in July at the latest or engage all in 2 x10's

TO would be far stronger in Y2

18 hours ago, Scubby said:

They play Wakefield x3 and have to win at least 2 of those. Home wins targeting inconsistent clubs like Cas, Salford, Hull KR, Hull, Leeds are the only way for them to mount a challenge.

IMO they would need at least 8 wins to survive. Maybe more but less than 8 and it's curtains.

Yes it can be interesting, but what would we be talking about now Scubby if like some people say they want TO and Catalan locked in and protected from relegation, the talk would be wondering which other club may get relegated even if they perform better throughout the season, that cannot be right.

Archived