Toulouse imploding

4 hours ago, tuutaisrambo said:

I don't think RL should ever protect any team or remove P&R........ sport is survival of the fittest.........otherwise what's the point of any of it really. Licensing may work in other countries but not in the uk with over 100 years of promotion and relegation being part of the sporting culture.

Personally (aside from sorting out International RL) I think the best way to boost the sport would be to remove the salary cap.  The salary cap has never lead to a more even competition anyway.

In a sport with no money why limit what clubs can spend? How many genuinely wealthy clubs are in SL?

That way a newly promoted club that is well backed can just spend more to make sure they stay up.

Dropping the cap would set SL apart from Union and the NRL and we may get some more wealthy investors.

The promoted club would have to spend a whole lot more to give themselves a chance of staying up and it would probably do no good, as the established SL clubs would spend a lot more than they can now.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a thought today when I read that Wakefield have a problem with the full back position and have brought in Escaré for two weeks on loan to cover the position (I feel sorry for the No3 choice for full back at Wakefield who thought...briefly... he had a sniff of a game).

Why bother assembling a squad at all? When you can just "buy in" players as and when you need them. 

NB: I have no problem with the concept of players on loan per se. I just think that 2-weeks is taking the p***, 1 month should be the minimum. It takes me back to the middle-8's when teams managed to refresh their squad with a completely new line up just to get themselves over the line.

19 minutes ago, kiggy said:

I had a thought today when I read that Wakefield have a problem with the full back position and have brought in Escaré for two weeks on loan to cover the position (I feel sorry for the No3 choice for full back at Wakefield who thought...briefly... he had a sniff of a game).

Why bother assembling a squad at all? When you can just "buy in" players as and when you need them. 

NB: I have no problem with the concept of players on loan per se. I just think that 2-weeks is taking the p***, 1 month should be the minimum. It takes me back to the middle-8's when teams managed to refresh their squad with a completely new line up just to get themselves over the line.

I've seen the Toulouse / Catalans guy moaning about this on twitter earlier, ignoring the fact that Toulouse have just signed loan players and it's just part of the game. Dealing with bans, injuries, squad depletion, managing your cap etc is all part of the challenge. 

I really don't see an issue here. Its not like the best players in the league are being passed around, it's fringe players who are moving. 

41 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I've seen the Toulouse / Catalans guy moaning about this on twitter earlier, ignoring the fact that Toulouse have just signed loan players and it's just part of the game. Dealing with bans, injuries, squad depletion, managing your cap etc is all part of the challenge. 

I really don't see an issue here. Its not like the best players in the league are being passed around, it's fringe players who are moving. 

I don't disagree with loan players , but getting players in for 1 or two games is just farcical. You could run a team completely on that premis.

57 minutes ago, kiggy said:

Second choice FB would be Lee Gaskell - injured.

Third choice would be to reshuffle a threequarter, but Tupou is injured, Lyneham is injured, Lee Kershaw is injured, Croft is only just back from injury, Davetanivalu is injured, Murphy needs a breather, Minns is injured.

Fourth choice would be reshuffle a halfback - but Miller is injured.

Fifth choice would be out of the U18s.

Escare is proven and needs game time. 

Why wouldn't Wakefield use the loan system that the clubs themselves devised?

Given Wakefield's injuries, I'm surprised they haven't dipped in sooner.

9 minutes ago, kiggy said:

I don't disagree with loan players , but getting players in for 1 or two games is just farcical. You could run a team completely on that premis.

You could, but you'd likely be rubbish. It isn't a good way to run a squad, it is out of necessity. 

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

You could, but you'd likely be rubbish. It isn't a good way to run a squad, it is out of necessity. 

Escare, Robson and Ashall-Bott getting first team game time has to be a good thing?

Just now, Scubby said:

Escare, Robson and Ashall-Bott getting first team game time has to be a good thing?

Indeed, but some people just want to constantly moan about RL no matter what. It was interesting seeing the Toulouse/Catalans twitter guy moan about this when they have just taken loan players. 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Indeed, but some people just want to constantly moan about RL no matter what. It was interesting seeing the Toulouse/Catalans twitter guy moan about this when they have just taken loan players. 

Loans have been around for as long as I've watched the game.

DR is a different beast IMO because it is far too fluid and artificially inflates the strength of some Championship clubs.

It's a conspiracy! Wakefield and Salford those teams that are a disgrace to SL have concocted this deal between themselves to make sure Tolouse are at a disadvantage. 

However there is a plus side to this. If Wakey win just get some satisfaction that a well known poster on these forums will be really miffed.

48 minutes ago, Scubby said:

OAB isn't on loan though, he's signed until 2024

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

True and he looks a great prospect!

Fingers crossed. We need a decent replacement for Kheirallah. If Hankinson keeps kicking duty that would mean OAB can concentrate on being effective

If there is ever a good time to face Saints, next weekend could be it for Toulouse. Batchelor is definitely out after failing a HIA and Matautia and Walmsley picked up knocks in the second half last night and there were, prior to the season starting, three unvaccinated players at Saints, so there’s potential for quite a number to be missing through injury/unavailability. 

6 minutes ago, Jughead said:

If there is ever a good time to face Saints, next weekend could be it for Toulouse. Batchelor is definitely out after failing a HIA and Matautia and Walmsley picked up knocks in the second half last night and there were, prior to the season starting, three unvaccinated players at Saints, so there’s potential for quite a number to be missing through injury/unavailability. 

I agree. Toulouse have nothing to lose in this game. I wouldn’t be surprised to also see Saints rest a few players, similar to the London games a few seasons back.

8 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Sssh,don’t tell Harry,Saints might field a weakened team against a relegation contender !!

34 minutes ago, Jughead said:

The need for vaccination to enter stadium finishes on Monday, 

Toulouse need an experienced half back to compliment Gigot. Gigot is playing well but cannot resist the speculator over the percentage play - that is who he is. 

I know they won't but Anthony Milford is currently sat in the stands without an NRL club. I'm sure he would consider a short term gig to put himself in the NRL and SL shop window.

Toulouse clearly aren't going to implode - they're a highly professional organisation with some decent backing. 

They'll give a good account of themselves and on the odd day that'll be enough to sneak a win against an undercooked or injury-wracked opponent. As long as they hold up injury wise themsleves. 

But over a whole season? The squad just isn't strong enough to win enough games to stay up. I'm not sure the quitters would have made a fundamental difference to that analysis, and I dont see where they add sufficient quality from mid-season. 

And of course, all this was highly predictable and would have applied to whoever had gone up. That's the system. 

But I hope they enjoy the ride and can do some good work spreading the RL gospel in Toulouse. 

10 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Toulouse clearly aren't going to implode - they're a highly professional organisation with some decent backing. 

They'll give a good account of themselves and on the odd day that'll be enough to sneak a win against an undercooked or injury-wracked opponent. As long as they hold up injury wise themsleves. 

But over a whole season? The squad just isn't strong enough to win enough games to stay up. I'm not sure the quitters would have made a fundamental difference to that analysis, and I dont see where they add sufficient quality from mid-season. 

And of course, all this was highly predictable and would have applied to whoever had gone up. That's the system. 

But I hope they enjoy the ride and can do some good work spreading the RL gospel in Toulouse. 

What you say is small consolation to me when every year union gets another year closer to dropping off two players and making their game a more appealing spectacle, like League you might say. The last thing we need now is Toulouse dropping back off the radar, for god knows how long, when we have an opportunity to make inroads into another union stronghold.

We don`t need Toulouse back in Super League in 3 years time we need them in Super League permanently now.

Archived