Toulouse imploding

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

And none of those are based in a market that can seriously produce players who can play against England, thus significantly increasing our sports commercial income and exposure.  

The key is internationals, everything else must be secondary.  

My attempt at wit was rather feeble - I agree with what you say, it's just that I don't see any other club in the top two divisions bring able to make the leap to lock in the two French clubs long term. 

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Jughead said:

If there is ever a good time to face Saints, next weekend could be it for Toulouse. Batchelor is definitely out after failing a HIA and Matautia and Walmsley picked up knocks in the second half last night and there were, prior to the season starting, three unvaccinated players at Saints, so there’s potential for quite a number to be missing through injury/unavailability. 

This should keep the saints score below 50 then

Before the season kicked off, I saw Toulouse getting thrashed each week. The team has had some decent recruits and are starting to get up to speed with SL In fact, Toulouse aren’t that far off where they need to be to pick up enough wins to stay up. The problem is they can’t leave it too late to start getting some of those wins. Otherwise it will be a case of too little, too late.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

2 hours ago, RayCee said:

Before the season kicked off, I saw Toulouse getting thrashed each week. The team has had some decent recruits and are starting to get up to speed with SL In fact, Toulouse aren’t that far off where they need to be to pick up enough wins to stay up. The problem is they can’t leave it too late to start getting some of those wins. Otherwise it will be a case of too little, too late.

I think that’s Toulouse’s big problem by the time they get up to speed quite a few of the games they would be targeting for wins will have already gone. 

7 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I think that’s Toulouse’s big problem by the time they get up to speed quite a few of the games they would be targeting for wins will have already gone. 

Indeed.  Their run in, to the end of the season, is difficult.  If any better players are available now, then they need to act quickly imo.  

5 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Indeed.  Their run in, to the end of the season, is difficult.  If any better players are available now, then they need to act quickly imo.  

First 4 home games in SL - Huddersfield, Warrington, Wigan, St Helens is no picnic either. They've been dudded by the fixture planners for sure.

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

First 4 home games in SL - Huddersfield, Warrington, Wigan, St Helens is no picnic either. They've been dudded by the fixture planners for sure.

Having to play St Helens 3 times is a bit unlucky

Toulouse have a great chance on Easter Monday when they are at home to Hull kR.

The Good Friday derby game will take lots out of Rovers whatever the result so to have to immediately pack their bags and travel to France for a game on Easter Monday is a very tough proposition.

On 09/03/2022 at 19:25, Agbrigg said:

It's a conspiracy! Wakefield and Salford those teams that are a disgrace to SL have concocted this deal between themselves to make sure Tolouse are at a disadvantage. 

However there is a plus side to this. If Wakey win just get some satisfaction that a well known poster on these forums will be really miffed.

Mr Brigg - Please explain why Salford `are a disgrace`?

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

London weren't complaining...

No one I know of in the club is complaining. In fact, happy to have a video ref for a game. Maybe London felt they were a bit unlucky too?

53 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

The Good Friday derby game will take lots out of Rovers whatever the result so to have to immediately pack their bags and travel to France for a game on Easter Monday is a very tough proposition.

I know, I feel the quick turnaround Easter weekend is tough for all the teams, especially those that have to travel to France. Luckily, or unluckily if you are a Hull fan, it's only one England team this Easter, as TO travel to Catalans on the Thursday. 

2 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

Yup. I thought when that came out “why didn’t they send one of the teams from one of the pretend derbies over”, rather than us having played a real one 😂

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

On 13/03/2022 at 19:12, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Yup. I thought when that came out “why didn’t they send one of the teams from one of the pretend derbies over”, rather than us having played a real one 😂

Toulouse will also have the benefit of blank weekends in 2 of the previous 3 weeks due to them declining the invitation to participate in the Challenge Cup.

Kheirallah’s departure confirmed with a very abrupt statement:

Toulouse Olympique XIII formalises the early termination of Mark KHEIRALLAH's contract for serious misconduct, with immediate effect.

This announcement closes communications on this subject and the Club will not make any further comments.

https://bit.ly/3w7AgbB

Written in the local Perpignan paper today that the Catalan have to pay the travel costs etc for referees and visiting teams in the cup, just as toulouse have to for every home super League game, so it looks like the agreement has  been carried over to super League for Toulouse

2 hours ago, barnyia said:

Written in the local Perpignan paper today that the Catalan have to pay the travel costs etc for referees and visiting teams in the cup, just as toulouse have to for every home super League game, so it looks like the agreement has  been carried over to super League for Toulouse

This sport's a joke. Let's just give up the pretence and only play games between teams who can get a public bus to one another.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

21 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

This sport's a joke. Let's just give up the pretence and only play games between teams who can get a public bus to one another.

To embed French teams I to the UK league a decision needs to be made on costs. Admitting a French team may incur a cost of say £500k to the game - no TV income covers that, it is a pure cost. 

Who should fund that?  Because let's be honest here, if the answer is the existing clubs will foot the bill then the answer is likely to be no. 

I really don't think we should be shy about getting other people to pay for things. I don't think it is unusual for things like this, whether it is paying costs (the NRL has done it in the past) or whether it is things like huge franchise fees to join leagues. 

It should also be remembered that these costs are in effect a reduction from their central funding. 

Archived