Toulouse imploding

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Browny got it right, for once, when he said that the attitude is consistently towards treating them like Gastarbeiter.

That could almost have been a nice post - you were so close.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My paternal grandfather was born and raised on the island of Fetlar, which is at the north end of Shetland.  I suppose to him anybody in the UK except those from the island of Unst and the north end of the island of Yell was from the south.

I believe the Shetland phrase for any British person not from the islands is a 'sooth-moother'!

8 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

My paternal grandfather was born and raised on the island of Fetlar, which is at the north end of Shetland.  I suppose to him anybody in the UK except those from the island of Unst and the north end of the island of Yell was from the south.

I believe the Shetland phrase for any British person not from the islands is a 'sooth-moother'!

A quote from Good Omens.

'Shadwell hated all southerners and, by implication, was standing on the North Pole ...'

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Which are the other two French clubs, and why only 16 English, I can think of more who’d be worthy of a place;

Saints, 🥧, Leeds, Wire, Salford, Widnes, Hull x 2, Bradford, Halifax, Huddersfield, Newcastle, York, Barrow, Sheffield, Leigh, Fev, Broncos. Plus maybe Rochdale, NWC, Doncaster, Cornwall, Workington, Whitehaven, Midlands and possibly others.

10x2 would cut a number of those clubs above off, and all the rest in the championship and L1, they might as well fold or go fully amateur. 

I would ignore his ramblings, he`s now in an ivory tower having an owner willing to throw money about (until hes not again) and forgets its not that long ago they were begging for money from anywhere. 

34 minutes ago, dkw said:

An absolute masterpiece of a book.

I reference it all the time. Probably the book I’ve read most times.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

33 minutes ago, dkw said:

An absolute masterpiece of a book.

Well...if we can't agree on the Rugby at least we can agree on Pratchett being a genius.

1 hour ago, kiggy said:

Well...if we can't agree on the Rugby at least we can agree on Pratchett being a genius.

Neil Gaiman is also a brilliant author, Good Omens was a magnificent book by them both.

2 hours ago, dkw said:

I would ignore his ramblings, he`s now in an ivory tower having an owner willing to throw money about (until hes not again) and forgets its not that long ago they were begging for money from anywhere. 

Who begged, when did this fictitious inability to pay bills and wages occur?

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

Which are the other two French clubs, and why only 16 English, I can think of more who’d be worthy of a place;

Saints, 🥧, Leeds, Wire, Salford, Widnes, Hull x 2, Bradford, Halifax, Huddersfield, Newcastle, York, Barrow, Sheffield, Leigh, Fev, Broncos. Plus maybe Rochdale, NWC, Doncaster, Cornwall, Workington, Whitehaven, Midlands and possibly others.

10x2 would cut a number of those clubs above off, and all the rest in the championship and L1, they might as well fold or go fully amateur. 

Would be great if all could put up the bond, go FT and guarantee to spend a minimum of say £1.4m in SL2 on a squad - the more the merrier I agree with you. Those not in a position initially should be encouraged to build for the next review, in the meantime the semi pro comp is the right place for them.

23 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Would be great if all could put up the bond, go FT and guarantee to spend a minimum of say £1.4m in SL2 on a squad - the more the merrier I agree with you. Those not in a position initially should be encouraged to build for the next review, in the meantime the semi pro comp is the right place for them.

If the salary cap was increased more investors would be prepared to put money in I think. At the moment who would bother, it’s not like some clubs are even allowed an academy so those who have them hold all the aces right away. 

On 16/03/2022 at 23:13, Dave T said:

And that brings us nicely onto the core point. So if the RFL are paying this, what are they using to pay the costs? Because they don't have half a million a year to cover this. And what benefit does the RFL get?

I suspect your point is that it is taken from central funding - well that is just the clubs paying for it. That's not a bad approach in itself, but it does then leave us open to poor decisions being made because of costs to individual clubs.

Ultimately this type of thing just highlights flaws in governnace.

Maybe it does highlight flaws. 
But if central funding is used for all travel costs — that is money before club grants — then it means League 1 teams travelling to Canada, SL clubs travelling to France or a challenge cup tie in Dublin are all paid for upfront. The lucky dip is no longer a problem. 
But before you commit to that as a governing body, you would probably develop a long term strategy for the sport before admitting teams from Toronto, Dublin or Belgrade. 

10 minutes ago, dealwithit said:

Maybe it does highlight flaws. 
But if central funding is used for all travel costs — that is money before club grants — then it means League 1 teams travelling to Canada, SL clubs travelling to France or a challenge cup tie in Dublin are all paid for upfront. The lucky dip is no longer a problem. 
But before you commit to that as a governing body, you would probably develop a long term strategy for the sport before admitting teams from Toronto, Dublin or Belgrade. 

To be fair to the RFL, the strategy has been that anyone can join as long as they cover the costs, because there is no central funding to cover it. 

People don't like that. 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

To be fair to the RFL, the strategy has been that anyone can join as long as they cover the costs, because there is no central funding to cover it. 

People don't like that. 

That strategy is fine, but not all clubs will survive and that leads to disappointment and distrust in the governing body. 

1 minute ago, dealwithit said:

That strategy is fine, but not all clubs will survive and that leads to disappointment and distrust in the governing body. 

I'd much rather we had a coherent strategy that involved only admitting expansion clubs witha strong business case and funding in place. 

Unfortunately I suspect we would never see a new club join the league. 

You have to give a huge amount of credit to Sylvan Houles.

The guy was given no money to recruit, lost his most experienced spine players just before the season and got whacked in his first game.

He stuck with his squad and didn't panic. They fully deserve to get their first win and the adversity may well galvanise the club.

On 18/03/2022 at 12:29, Dave T said:

I'd much rather we had a coherent strategy that involved only admitting expansion clubs witha strong business case and funding in place. 

Unfortunately I suspect we would never see a new club join the league. 

Time will tell about Cornwall, but I’m optimistic. 

Such a wonderful result for Toulouse. 

Also a great result for the Super League. How often does last beat first in the Premier League? Last time for example was when?

"There has never been a Challenge Cup semifinal of 65,000 either individually or combined" - Damien

On 17/03/2022 at 05:18, Eddie said:

If the salary cap was increased more investors would be prepared to put money in I think.

I would partially agree with that comment but would add that the lack of security of the investment also inhibits more investors coming into the game.

Rimmer stated recently that the existing league structure will remain in situ for the next couple of years.  Therefore it will be interesting to see if retaining the existing structure beyond 2024, or introducing a new structure such as 2 x 10 will provide the newly created Joint Venture Company with something it can sell not just to commercial partners but to people that want to invest in clubs themselves.

4 hours ago, RL Sonja said:

Such a wonderful result for Toulouse. 

Also a great result for the Super League. How often does last beat first in the Premier League? Last time for example was when?

Not very often… https://www.premierleague.com/news/1530127

But there are 20 teams and often the very bottom team is cut adrift from the rest. A better comparison would be Top 4 vs Bottom 4 there. Can’t find any stats but you do see wins or at least draws quite a bit there.  

On 16/03/2022 at 14:27, gingerjon said:

A quote from Good Omens.

'Shadwell hated all southerners and, by implication, was standing on the North Pole ...'

i've spent the last week on Svalbard (amazing place). The locals consider the people from the Arctic North of mainland Norway to be soft southerners living a life of luxury with their fancy plants that grow outside in summer and all.

Archived