Mick Hogan and the Rugby League World Cup

Excellent interview, particularly liked the anecdote about 35 min halves and 5 minute half times in early 1990s away games to Yorkshire so everyone could get to the pub for 12 noon opening time.

Mick is clearly an asset to the game so the only question missing for me was: What, if any, are your Rugby League plans post RLWC2021?

It's a pity we can't clone him.

It's been my fondest wish, that he write, or edit the Newcastle development ''plan'', so that it can be modelled in other parts of the country.

At the moment, we are standing by and allowing new areas to make all the same mistakes that Newcastle must have made, before optimising their processes.

It would be far more productive, far more efficient, if the lessons they've learned over the last 40 years, could be captured and published in a handy ''how to guide'' for fledgling areas.

Come on Mick, this is a way of multiplying your successes, right across the country. 

21 hours ago, Phil W said:

As we already knew at Newcastle, Mick is a top man and a real asset to the game. Hopefully post World Cup he'll maintain some kind of involvement.

I would see Mick as a future CEO of the RFL or perhaps as a CEO of the new commercial organisation that will be established when the RFL and Super League are re-aligned in the near future.

His background and experience are shouting out for that kind of appointment.

1 hour ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I would see Mick as a future CEO of the RFL or perhaps as a CEO of the new commercial organisation that will be established when the RFL and Super League are re-aligned in the near future.

His background and experience are shouting out for that kind of appointment.

Agreed Martin.

Thanks for pulling the interview together by the way!

5 hours ago, thunder pete said:

What do you think of my suggestion that Mick, or someone up there write a ''how to guide'' for people in virgin territory to help them avoid some (or all) of the time and money wasting mistakes or to answer questions they may have about starting a club.

I imagine they might want answers to questions such as (who will play, where can i find them, how can i contact them, how often should we meet/train, insurances, buying kit, creating a budget and financing it, creating a fixture list), developing the club (ongoing player recruitment, administration (committee), succession planning, ladies and junior section developments etc, Joining a league or creating friendly fixture lists (pro's and cons)? Creating development officers - relationships with local schools/youth clubs etc. Dealing with potential sponsors (what do you have to offer?). 

If such a document existed i'm sure it would encourage many ''would be'' start ups (here and abroad) which may never come to fruition in the absence of such an encyclopedic guide and the helping hand, it would provide.

Surely Newcastle, (or perhaps Hemel Hempstead) are the ideal candidates to author such a mentoring document? I'm already convinced of the value of it (to the games future). 

Archived