Club Membership Levels

45 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Saints have different types of membership, some ticketed and others not. 

Wigan are the same, some are ST holders, others pay a small fee for membership and get discounts on tickets etc, but have no ST. I don't know what the numbers are for each type.

Sales at Warrington went past 5,000 just before Christmas with the club ‘on target’ to hit pre Covid levels.

I think record membership levels were 8,000+ after 2009 & 2010 challenge cup successes and league leaders in 2011.

11 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

All Super League clubs should have at least double that number as an absolute minimum 

that's 7.4% of the population of Castleford. So, for Leeds to be doing as well as Castleford are, they'll have 58,647 members...

2 hours ago, iffleyox said:

that's 7.4% of the population of Castleford. So, for Leeds to be doing as well as Castleford are, they'll have 58,647 members...

The population of the town is irrelevant, I am told this time and time again and that it’s fine to have small town clubs in Super League.

£200 from a Leeds supporter pays the same amount of wages as £200 from a Cas supporter, it’s not worth more because Cas have smaller population, so % of a towns population is the most pointless statistic ever. 

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The population of the town is irrelevant, I am told this time and time again and that it’s fine to have small town clubs in Super League.

£200 from a Leeds supporter pays the same amount of wages as £200 from a Cas supporter, it’s not worth more because Cas have smaller population, so % of a towns population is the most pointless statistic ever. 

totally agree with the first sentence, it is fine to have small town clubs in Super League. The second sentence is also true, except that clearly Castleford are going deeper into their potential support than Leeds are.

So a small town club is automatically fishing in a smaller pool of potential support and having to do more with less. Everyone's £200 is worth the same, and Castleford will run out of people's £200 before Leeds does. However, what's the maximum ceiling of people in any place willing to put their hands in their pockets? I'd argue that if a team is getting nearly 1 in 10 of the inhabitants to buy in, that's probably quite impressive. 

54 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

So a small town club is automatically fishing in a smaller pool of potential support and having to do more with less.

You're also assuming that all members are from the immediate geographic area and don't cross any town border to attend. A clear problem with any % of population comparison arguments. It doesnt stack up in the 21st century. People are far more mobile than ever before. No longer do they live the entirety of their lives in a pit village and never leave.

I'd suspect that as time goes on we can expect most clubs will find a wider and thinner density of support from a much wider geographic area.

Castleford immediate catchment area is very deceiving, far bigger than the 45k town....its got a significant share of the market in South East Leeds (Garforth, Kippax etc) then good shares of the RL fan base in Pontefract, Knottingley and Normanton. All pretty strong RL enjoying areas.....

39 minutes ago, tiffers said:

You're also assuming that all members are from the immediate geographic area and don't cross any town border to attend. A clear problem with any % of population comparison arguments. It doesnt stack up in the 21st century. People are far more mobile than ever before. No longer do they live the entirety of their lives in a pit village and never leave.

I'd suspect that as time goes on we can expect most clubs will find a wider and thinner density of support from a much wider geographic area.

Only because it makes the maths easier. I agree with all of that, except that I reckon far more people from outside Leeds will watch Leeds than people from outside Cas will watch Cas - especially when geography gives them a genuine straight choice of either.

2 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Castleford immediate catchment area is very deceiving, far bigger than the 45k town....its got a significant share of the market in South East Leeds (Garforth, Kippax etc) then good shares of the RL fan base in Pontefract, Knottingley and Normanton. All pretty strong RL enjoying areas.....

Exactly, also just a over border into North Yorkshire/Selby district, loads of Cas fans in that area, lots of Leeds fans aswell, same load of Leeds utd fans around Cas that have no interest in RL, Even in so called RL hotbed towns like Cas RL is still a niche sport somewhat.

On 23/01/2022 at 22:05, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

All Super League clubs should have at least double that number as an absolute minimum 

You must be distraught at the figures in Toulouse then.

BTW Kingston-upon-Hull has the most season ticket holders in the northern hemisphere by a distance and with a population of just 250,000.

3 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

BTW Kingston-upon-Hull has the most season ticket holders in the northern hemisphere by a distance and with a population of just 250,000.

Hull kr have more season ticket holders than the rest of Super League put together I’m sure, nobody has more fans than hull kr, when hull kr play away they often outnumber the home supporters 10 to 1

4 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

Fair comment, if you combined Hull and Hull KR’s crowds they’d be massive. I’ve heard people on this forum say we don’t need two Hull teams in SL but I like them both being in it, a proper cross city derby. 

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Hull kr have more season ticket holders than the rest of Super League put together I’m sure, nobody has more fans than hull kr, when hull kr play away they often outnumber the home supporters 10 to 1

Alright mardy; someone asked for membership numbers, someone else supplied the Rovers number. Nobody’s waving their johnson around, it is what it is, take a breath eh 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

12 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

5 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Alright mardy; someone asked for membership numbers, someone else supplied the Rovers number. Nobody’s waving their johnson around, it is what it is, take a breath eh 

Dimmeststar clearly is 

Archived