RL on Channel 4

dkw

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Just for clarification I love the north and northerners. I've had a long held obsession with a game 'invented' by northerners 

I don't see northerness as bad or embarrassing. I'll be up there AGAIN next Friday spending all weekend with my family - centred around the match but we're planning on enjoying other northerners stuff (the media museum if you are interested)

I just think rugby league has more than enough of it in the brand already. A high profile celebrity saying stuff like that refuels beliefs/prejudice/stereotypes  many have that league is/should be only restricted to the north 

He could have just said what an exciting action packed sport it is or something like that 

Look I get what you’re saying but you can’t change one person’s personal outlook/presenting style.

He plays up to that professional northerner’ tag all the time - half the world knows he’s from ruddy Bolton as he mentions it every time he’s on radio or TV!

He has over a million Twitter followers and retweeted the promo. He’s also a big general sports and American Football fan. Despite any shortcomings he’s a good man to have on side.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

Totally get that but without a single UK top flight club outside the heartlands then we’re asking for it really.

Also tone and enthusiasm are just as important. I’d rather have an upbeat intro from Vernon Kay than a snidey one from someone who is indifferent or hates our sport.

Does Kay actually like Rugby League then, or was he paid to say something about it, as a well known professional northerner? 

Edited by Eddie
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Does Kay actually like Rugby League then, or was he paid to say something about it, as a well known professional northerner? 

He went to St John Rigby College in Wigan and has spoken of nights out in Wigan Pier so it's certainly not going to be unknown to him.

• Like 2

Hull FC are certainly not encouraging Saints fans to travel for their home game to feature on Channel 4. Hull have been ripping off away fans for years, but the £28 they are charging this year takes the biscuit, or a mere £22 if you qualify as a concession.

Very disappointed with the club, but they shouldn’t be allowed to charge away fans more than home fans pay, it should be taken out of their hands.

• Like 1

On 01/02/2022 at 12:26, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Which teams to appear on Channel 4 are not northern?

Saturday 12th February

Super League Round 1 - TBC Time Channel 4

12:30pm Leeds v Warrington

Saturday 19th February

Super League Round 2 - TBC Time Channel 4

12:30pm Hull FC v St Helens

Saturday 19th March

Super League Round 6 - TBC Time Channel 4

12:30pm Warrington v Wakefield

Saturday 24th April

Super League Round 10 - TBC Time Channel 4

1:00pm Wigan v Salford

As a Cumbrian I can confirm all the teams above are in the Midlands and no where near the real North.

Everyone listed is a 2 hour drive south for the marras.... Hull is almost in the South at 3.5 hours....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Hull FC are certainly not encouraging Saints fans to travel for their home game to feature on Channel 4. Hull have been ripping off away fans for years, but the £28 they are charging this year takes the biscuit, or a mere £22 if you qualify as a concession.

Very disappointed with the club, but they shouldn’t be allowed to charge away fans more than home fans pay, it should be taken out of their hands.

poor from Hull - very poor indeed

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It's the same price as home fans pay for the equivalent area as a quick look at the stadium plan will confirm.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

19 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

What is it with Leeds fans on here? They think Leeds invented the air in the ball.

To be fair it is just the one, but he is indeed insufferable.

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

9 hours ago, Damien said:

Fair play to him, I’m not a fan (of his tv persona, he’s probably sound in real life) but he’s obviously popular and it would be great if he could say more stuff like this to his followers. The more people banging on about how great RL the better, though my long suffering Norfolk mates probably wouldn’t agree. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Fair play to him, I’m not a fan (of his tv persona, he’s probably sound in real life) but he’s obviously popular and it would be great if he could say more stuff like this to his followers. The more people banging on about how great RL the better, though my long suffering Norfolk mates probably wouldn’t agree. 

It's a name I hadn't even thought of until your post but I actually think he'd make a good presenter for the Channel 4 coverage. He also did the American Football Show so has some experience too with sports.

I must admit I’d be happy with a brand new presenting team and the usual style and pizzazz that Channel 4 production companies (or their Indy equivalents) bring.

If we can start with a bang and grab a whole new audience to add to the hardcore RL fans that’ll be fantastic.

I’ll actually be disappointed if I like and recognise the music or am familiar with the styling.

I feel we need a fresh enthusiastic approach even if it upsets a few.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

10 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Sounds good. I'm really excited to see how this goes and think it promises to be far better than anything we have seen for years, especially so based on the Sky announcement yesterday regarding their new additions.

15 minutes ago, Damien said:

Sounds good. I'm really excited to see how this goes and think it promises to be far better than anything we have seen for years, especially so based on the Sky announcement yesterday regarding their new additions.

Yeah that's a great line up! Interested to see now if it's pitchside like Premier or studio based. Pros and cons to both I guess. 

20 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

It's good that Channel 4 have opted for someone well known to viewers of the channel to front the coverage, who supports and plays the sport as well. Pryce and Sinfield are both knowledgeable so good choices too. The only potential downside is that whilst he is knowledgeable and honest in his responses Sinfield does have a tendency to sound like Droopy (the cartoon dog). Though hopefully the other two will act as a good counterpoint and raise his (apparent) mood. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1