RL on Channel 4

dkw

14 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

Adam Hills is on Sunday Brunch this week. I wonder if he's there to push the coverage as the new anchor?

He's just had his children's book published, so that'll be one reason he's on. But the C4 presenting gig will probably be part of the conversation too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Hull are putting promotions on for Home fans while ripping Saints off at £28 entry

5B6B12B8-CFA1-4EA1-913E-DD40FDE95ED4.jpeg

What promotions should Hull put on for Saints fans?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

They should charge the same entry price for both Saints fans and Hull fans. Are you really trying to justify charging away supporters more than home supporters? I don’t believe any other club does this do they?

I have no idea. I know it's standard practice in football.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

30 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

It's good that Channel 4 have opted for someone well known to viewers of the channel to front the coverage, who supports and plays the sport as well. Pryce and Sinfield are both knowledgeable so good choices too. The only potential downside is that whilst he is knowledgeable and honest in his responses Sinfield does have a tendency to sound like Droopy (the cartoon dog). Though hopefully the other two will act as a good counterpoint and raise his (apparent) mood. 

Yes its excellent. A good professional presenter makes such a difference to the presentation. I think two pundits is good too. Less is more sometimes.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

It's good that Channel 4 have opted for someone well known to viewers of the channel to front the coverage, who supports and plays the sport as well. Pryce and Sinfield are both knowledgeable so good choices too. The only potential downside is that whilst he is knowledgeable and honest in his responses Sinfield does have a tendency to sound like Droopy (the cartoon dog). Though hopefully the other two will act as a good counterpoint and raise his (apparent) mood. 

I agree. Sinfield bores me to tears. But tbh, my wife likes him and doesn't find him too bad to listen to so maybe its not a universal view.

16 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

They should charge the same entry price for both Saints fans and Hull fans. Are you really trying to justify charging away supporters more than home supporters? I don’t believe any other club does this do they?

It is a bit mean-spirited, but it is good to see Hull making an effort with this game based on that pic.

Just now, Dave T said:

I agree. Sinfield bores me to tears. But tbh, my wife likes him and doesn't find him too bad to listen to so maybe its not a universal view.

I'm not overly a fan but I'd certainly take him before many of the usual pundits on Sky and I do think there is a nice contrast there between Sinfield, Pryce and Hills. They are all quite different personalities and each offer something different, which is very important I think. Too much of the BBC and Sky coverage is the same pundits trying to be all matey, and trying to play the same funny man role. Variety is good on a panel.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Hull are putting promotions on for Home fans while ripping Saints off at £28 entry

5B6B12B8-CFA1-4EA1-913E-DD40FDE95ED4.jpeg

This is disgraceful. Away fans should never pay more than home fans (or indeed vice versa). There has been plenty of uproar at this type of thing in football and we should do the same.

• Like 2

Do we know who is commentating yet? Love the idea of Adam Hills presenting, but he splits his time between here and his family in Oz (usually only here for The Last Leg, home at other times), so I can't imagine he will do every match. Could still be room for another new face later in the season.

7 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

This is disgraceful. Away fans should never pay more than home fans (or indeed vice versa). There has been plenty of uproar at this type of thing in football and we should do the same.

Looking at the plan, the away fans are in what would be Zone 2 if they were home fans.

Home fans pay £28 to sit in Zone 2.

Away tickets are £28.

3 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Pryce I have enjoyed in the past. Just openly happy to have digs at players...Great

Didn't like digs at him though!

I hope he's not on when his son plays, the commentary when he made his debut I think was great for him and his family, but not for a neutral observer.

Just now, Spidey said:

And gets a lot of criticism there also from what I see/hear

I think it most cases it's the same or a bit more. The ones that make the press are when it's eye-wateringly a lot more.

1 hour ago, wiganermike said:

I think your comments are spot on, WM.  It could also be said that Sinfield might bring some newfound credibility in the eyes of union followers perhaps trying league for the first time, given what appears to be a resurgence at Leicester Tigers.

Good rugby players become better through coaching and first hand experience.  I think the same holds good for public speaking skills; perhaps C4 will gently coach Kevin off-camera.  His knowledge and articulacy are good, but his tendency towards monotone delivery needs a bit of improvement.

• Like 2