RL on Channel 4

dkw

21 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I think it most cases it's the same or a bit more. The ones that make the press are when it's eye-wateringly a lot more.

In the Premier League away ticket prices are restricted to £30 max. You'd struggle to find a home ticket for that price at most established Premier League clubs (especially an equivalent seat).

It is different in the EFL where you get more variation. Usually not massively different though - Leeds sometimes got flack for being on the pricey side I remember, but they were still cheaper than the equivalent home seat (£35 vs £45 or something like that)

It does seem a tad unfair to arbitrarily charge away fans more than home fans.

I remember Fev uplifting their prices for Bradford at home as a "Bradford Tax" to max the income they got from the enhanced away support. Certainly left a lot unhappy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I believe we've had the set of Wigan, Wire and Saints fans now saying they don't rate Sinfield for this job, bingo!

To be fair, while he is a living legend for what he’s done over the last year, and as a player in fact, I’d prefer someone not currently involved with Union presenting the RL programme. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

In the Premier League away ticket prices are restricted to £30 max. You'd struggle to find a home ticket for that price at most established Premier League clubs (especially an equivalent seat).

It is different in the EFL where you get more variation. Usually not massively different though - Leeds sometimes got flack for being on the pricey side I remember, but they were still cheaper than the equivalent home seat (£35 vs £45 or something like that)

It does seem a tad unfair to arbitrarily charge away fans more than home fans.

I remember Fev uplifting their prices for Bradford at home as a "Bradford Tax" to max the income they got from the enhanced away support. Certainly left a lot unhappy.

That does make sense as the ones I seen make headlines have been Champions League/Cup/EFL.

EDIT

Just to add, as far as I can see, away fans are not being charged more by Hull either

Edited by gingerjon
  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

To be fair, while he is a living legend for what he’s done over the last year, and as a player in fact, I’d prefer someone not currently involved with Union presenting the RL programme. 

Tbf I can see that, but Sir Kevin Sinfield is a household name that only the few who follow either code of rugby will know is currently coaching at Leicester. That's before we get to the point that many people will see this as "rugby" and not know the difference.

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

That does make sense as the ones I seen make headlines have been Champions League/Cup/EFL.

Yeah exactly they're the main areas.

There's 2 issues I feel:

1 is charging away fans too much.

2 is charging away fans more than home fans. 

The first point is a commonly debated topic, 20 is plenty etc, but the latter usually never comes up for discussion.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

In the Premier League away ticket prices are restricted to £30 max

What a great move, we should do the same in Super League, away fans add to the atmosphere both at the game and when watching on tv, let’s encourage fans to travel to away games. I think the limit should be set at say £22 for tickets bought before match day and £24 on match day. Can Hull FC really justify charging only £2 less than Premier League football?

4 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

What a great move, we should do the same in Super League, away fans add to the atmosphere both at the game and when watching on tv, let’s encourage fans to travel to away games. I think the limit should be set at say £22 for tickets bought before match day and £24 on match day. Can Hull FC really justify charging only £2 less than Premier League football?

Yes, they get much less TV income. The richer Premier league teams could make all tickets free and it wouldn’t impact them too much. 

1 minute ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I think that would be a nice thing to do across Super League, not sure whether Championship and League 1 clubs could sign up to it.

I don't find Sinfield dull, just a serious and thoughtful guy, unlike the Baz'n'Tez approach. He's also sharing the presentation with a comedian, who may coax him into lightening up a little.

John Kear's early days of BBC punditry were pretty dour, but he improved with experience.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Had a look at how much away teams in round one are being charged out of curiosity. I will try and do round two later if I get a chance. Huddersfield have it the cheapest, being charged £15 to go to Toulouse, the most expensive is £32 for adult Warrington fans who want to sit at Leeds, though they have terracing on offer at £24. The second most expensive and without any other option, like Leeds have, appears to be £25 for Hull fans going to Wakefield.

£28 seems excessive, even to home fans, regardless of it being a televised fixture on free to air TV. Saints are clearly a big draw as champions, I don’t know if Hull categorise fixtures and pricing is dependent on opponents but even if they do, that seems a lot and even more so when it’s on 4. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Tommy doesn’t either; he’s doing his GCSEs this year… 

(Just joking Tommy! 😉)

Aye, as if any school would risk him lowering their average by entering him for a GCSE

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

We need £10 tickets for these games to get folk in and make it look decent on tv - with free coach travel for away fans - the home club could make it up on advertising to such a mass audience, probably 5x SL viewers on Sky

I think we'll need to have a vote if a TV deal requires discount tickets and bussing people in.

• Haha 2

Just now, gingerjon said:

I think we'll need to have a vote if a TV deal requires discount tickets and bussing people in.

They should let everyone in for free, including refunding members. Maybe force people in at gun point if there are any empty seats after that too. 

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

They should let everyone in for free, including refunding members. Maybe force people in at gun point if there are any empty seats after that too. 

I'm concerned this doesn't go far enough and you haven't suggested gluing people into place so they can't leave at half time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1