RL on Channel 4

dkw

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It is interesting that all the noise is about C4 and the game on Saturday, despite Sky having three other games. I wonder if it'll make them think about stepping it up a touch... 

Hopefully. Ever since C4 got the rights for these games its always been my hope that they could shame Sky into raising their game.

• Like 4

Ch4 have played the build up cool, leaving 'official' announcements to a week before they start, but have put out rumours and whispers building up to this week.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, EssexRL said:

His latest Tweet about C4 and RL has 4,500 likes.

Disaster! We must replace him with someone much less famous and popular* before them there forrin types from outside the heartlands discover the sport and, even worse, enjoy it.

It'll take years to convince the newbies that Rugby League is actually rubbish and not for the likes of them.

*I nominate Garry Schofield.

• Haha 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Competition should improve standards

You'd hope so but have you seen BT Sport's football coverage recently?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Not particularly. Though I've never much rated BT's coverage anyway and think Sky have got their format pretty close to perfect.

That's sort of my point. Competition doesn't necessarily drive anything when it comes to sport on TV coverage. And BT, as the incomer, actually did (and do) things less well than the incumbent.

Channel 4 do have previous 'back in the day' for transforming what was expected from cricket coverage but that's twenty years back.

I'm looking forward to the coverage on its own terms. I've given up hope of Sky doing much to sort out the issues with their own coverage but I'll be pleased if they are shocked into doing so.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

43 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

That's sort of my point. Competition doesn't necessarily drive anything when it comes to sport on TV coverage. And BT, as the incomer, actually did (and do) things less well than the incumbent.

Channel 4 do have previous 'back in the day' for transforming what was expected from cricket coverage but that's twenty years back.

I'm looking forward to the coverage on its own terms. I've given up hope of Sky doing much to sort out the issues with their own coverage but I'll be pleased if they are shocked into doing so.

That is because Sky generally do things pretty well with football though. BT just did what Sky did with a different presenters.

How good does this (long) weekend of broadcast/streamed live matches look, compared to what was available just 5 years ago? There may also be French Elite 1 streams to be confirmed.

Thursday 10th February

7:00pm Sky Sports Main Event | Mix | Sky Showcase

Super League

8:00pm St Helens v Catalan

Friday 11th February

7:30pm Sky Sports Main Event | Arena

Super League

8:00pm Hull KR v Wigan

Saturday 12th February

6:00am Sky Sports Arena | 6:00am Watch NRL

Women's NRL All Star Game

6:20am Indigenous All Stars v NZ Maori

8:40am Sky Sports Arena | 8:10am Watch NRL

NRL All Star Game

9:10am Indigenous All Stars v NZ Maori

12:00pm Channel 4

Super League

12:30pm Leeds v Warrington

2:15pm The Sportsman

Challenge Cup Round 3

2:30pm Lock Lane v Rochdale

3:45pm OuRLeague

Challenge Cup Round 3

4:00pm Royal Navy v York Acorn

6:30pm Sky Sports Arena

Super League

7:00pm Toulouse v Huddersfield

Sunday 13th February

12:50pm BBC iPlayer

Challenge Cup Round 3

1:00pm Hunslet v Siddal

Monday 14th February

7:15pm Premier Sports 1

Championship

7:45pm Leigh v Bradford

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

How good does this (long) weekend of broadcast/streamed live matches look, compared to what was available just 5 years ago?

Thursday 10th February

Super League

Friday 11th February

Super League

Saturday 12th February

NRL All Star Game

Super League

Challenge Cup Round 3

Challenge Cup Round 3

Super League

Sunday 13th February

Challenge Cup Round 3

Monday 14th February

Championship

Does anyone know a good divorce lawyer?

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

49 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Does anyone know a good divorce lawyer?

Also, does anyone have a really comfy sofa for sale?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

How good does this (long) weekend of broadcast/streamed live matches look, compared to what was available just 5 years ago? There may also be French Elite 1 streams to be confirmed.

Thursday 10th February

Super League

Friday 11th February

Super League

Saturday 12th February

NRL All Star Game

Super League

Challenge Cup Round 3

Challenge Cup Round 3

Super League

Sunday 13th February

Challenge Cup Round 3

Monday 14th February

Championship

Well, yeah, that's all very well, Futtocks, but...[complete as appropriate]

• Thanks 1

There is a good article (two full tabloid sized columns) by Ross Heppenstall in The Times today which relates to C4's opening game in that it is a feature about Leeds Rhinos' skipper, Kruise Leeming, and more specifically his family background and the impact of his dad's death had on him; it occurred when Kruise was just eight years old.  His mother sounds to have been a star holding the family together.

• Thanks 2

On 23/01/2022 at 21:43, Just Browny said:

Warrington offered 500 coach places for a quid each. Those appear to have gone so they have offered another 500 places, again for a quid.

Warrington reporting they have sold 1,500 tickets for this match now.

• Like 3

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

21 hours ago, Dave T said:

It is interesting that all the noise is about C4 and the game on Saturday, despite Sky having three other games. I wonder if it'll make them think about stepping it up a touch... 

Doubtful tbh, we’re just a filler for Sky nowadays sadly.  Probably on a par with women’s netball?  They’re owned by Comcast now, thus the focus on American sports like NBA and NFL.

19 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

Doubtful tbh, we’re just a filler for Sky nowadays sadly.  Probably on a par with women’s netball?  They’re owned by Comcast now, thus the focus on American sports like NBA and NFL.

Certainly, I rarely bother seeing what’s on Sky sports of an evening now as it’s the same every night; an NBA game, stateside racing, pro-football talk and then some other tripe. 

21 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

If C4 can show with a bit of a push and a fresh approach there's more viewers to the found they'd replicate it. They think we're realistically maxed out for the value they put in that's why they don't.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 minute ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

If C4 can show with a bit of a push and a fresh approach there's more viewers to the found they'd replicate it. They think we're realistically maxed out for the value they put in that's why they don't.

I’d agree partially, but I don’t think they’re that bothered with the effort and expense it would take to get a bigger audience.  They will have done the figures and it’s probably the case that the ROI isn’t there.