RL on Channel 4

dkw

Who would have thought that commentary would be 100% better if there wasn’t a pundit playing devils advocate and asking if things should have been given, if there should have been a penalty try or just other nonsensical rubbish just to try and create debate. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

I'm hugely excited about the future of RL on ch4 after that, a bug well done to whoever pushed to get these games onto FTA TV and channel 4.

It's amazing the difference in positivity that we have seen the last few weeks.  That has entirely been driven by C4 and Premier Sports promoting the game and giving good, quality coverage. The sport has actually seemed wanted rather than just an add on to pad out coverage. It is something many have said for years but a good, compliant media makes a huge difference to any sport and for a long time RL just hasn't had a piece of that.

• Like 10

Just now, EssexRL said:

Well that was good....lots of engagement on social media too (if you've not Liked C4Sports RL tweets get on there an d do it!)

Indeed. Everyone should be liking the C4 Sport tweets and leaving positive comments on the coverage.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Damien said:

It's amazing the difference in positivity that we have seen the last few weeks.  That has entirely been driven by C4 and Premier Sports promoting the game and giving good, quality coverage. The sport has actually seemed wanted rather than just an add on to pad out coverage. It is something many have said for years but a good, compliant media makes a huge difference to any sport and for a long time RL just hasn't had a piece of that.

Yep a massive difference. The funny thing is there wasn't anything revolutionary about the C4 coverage, it's pretty much what other sports have been getting for years. I think it just shows how short changed we've been and hopefully it opens a few eyes among those who have the power within the sport and media to do something about it.

I think it lacked a little bit of the polish that you get with a BBC presentation and I'd liked to have seen use of stats during the game but the commentary was probably better than anything I can remember for an RL match. It's the first time in years I've been able to watch a televised SL game without an elevated heart rate brought on by the histrionics and verbal diarrhoea of the morons presenting it rather than the entertainment on the pitch.

It's a massive opportunity for the sport, I just hope we build on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Archie Gordon said:

Couldn't we try some coverage w/o the ref's mike on?

Or at least only turn it on when play has stopped and he’s speaking to the players as on the red card. Think that happens in RU but I could be wrong.

I will say a positive about Sky that they’ve got the video ref on a mic now. The trick is now to get the commentators to stop talking over the top of him 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

35 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Great commentary and Amor is a great addition. Heard him a few times.

I think the only think lacking in C4s commentary was Stuart Cummings making random comments about every single refereeing decision. Much missed.

I may be the only one but I miss Cummings on Sky. But largely because he sorted out the rest of them who simply didn't know the rules. The need for him went away a little bit when Stevo retired but it's still an issue with the current Sky lot.

Edited by M j M
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, M j M said:

I may be the only one but I miss Cummings on Sky. But largely because he sorted out the rest of them who simply didn't know the rules. The need for him went away a little bit when Stevo retired but it's still an issue with the current Sky lot.

That was all so farcical and unnecessary. Phil Clarke would sensationalise everything and say stuff like “is there a claim for a penalty try here” despite there being no chance of such, which would in turn set the rest of them off arguing for thirty seconds before Cummings said what we all knew already. 

1 minute ago, M j M said:

I disagree. Todays commentary was much better because it didn't focus on rules, argue whether decisions were right or wrong and indeed whether the rules are wrong in the first place because someone believes that taking someone's head off is a good shot. I do understand what you are saying with regards Sky and Cummins but I suppose the crux of my point is that Cummins just shouldn't be needed and it is the pundits fault for it descending into that. C4 today showed how it should be done, which funnily enough was broadly similar to what we see in other sports.

• Like 4

Brilliant all round. Even the red card didn't put a dampner on it, because it was just calmy explained.

Even so as a great man once said surely a bit of controversy is part of the game's appeal. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Exhilarating game at times and a great job by C4 of building it up and covering it generally.

I like the simplicity of two commentators letting the action speak for itself instead of the constant patter on Sky that can almost make the on field action seem secondary.

Can’t wait for Hull FC vs St Helens now and the other games.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Exhilarating game at times and a great job by C4 of building it up and covering it generally.

I like the simplicity of two commentators letting the action speak for itself instead of the constant patter on Sky that can almost make the on field action seem secondary.

Can’t wait for Hull FC vs St Helens now and the other games.

After the first attempt you want it on every week, how great would that be? I think in the long run it would help sky sports aswell. 2 games on sky sports and one on channel 4, wider audience would mean more people subscribing to see more rugby league.. if only..

• Like 2
f3gms4.jpg

Just watched on Channel 4’s catch-up. Really enjoyed the game (I skipped the pre-match and half-time chat). My wife, a solicitor, from Surrey - best described as an occasional watcher of rugby league (we don’t do Sky) - was similarly absorbed. The drama and tension needed no explanation. Looking forward to the next Channel 4 match.

• Like 3