RL on Channel 4

dkw

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Exhilarating game at times and a great job by C4 of building it up and covering it generally.

I like the simplicity of two commentators letting the action speak for itself instead of the constant patter on Sky that can almost make the on field action seem secondary.

Can’t wait for Hull FC vs St Helens now and the other games.

Needs a big crowd at Hull (12k at least) and it will be a great spectacle. 

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Needs a big crowd at Hull (12k at least) and it will be a great spectacle. 

Hull are a fickle lot. Lose at Wakefield they will be tearing season passes up. Win and they will be there next week in big numbers talking about a great season.

Watched the game back on All 4 as had to miss most of it live.

Technically the coverage seemed superior to Sky. The camera angles/editing/close-ups were qualitatively better and made an exciting game look fantastic.

My only criticism would be the captions. The interchange captions were shambolic.

Also, I would have thought a newbie would appreciate being told what a penalty/scrum was given for, and when there is a six again. Perhaps some stats too.

Other than that, v good 👏🏻

Just watching the start on playback as I didn’t see any of it yesterday. Great opening comment from Pryce about League being better to watch than Union 😂

Adam Hills (who I’ve seen very little of) seems massively enthusiastic and Helen Skelton (who I’ve also seen very little of) seems like a delight too. In short, I’m well impressed and am buzzing that this is happening, could be a game changer. 

Edited by Eddie
  • Like 3

The biggest game changing element is the response from the fans. All feedback appears to be positive. All interactions on social media have been great, which is so rare. 

It helped that it was a superb game with plenty of talking points. 

C4 taking it seriously since they got the rights has been brilliant, long may it continue. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Just watching the start on playback as I didn’t see any of it yesterday. Great opening comment from Pryce about League being better to watch than Union 😂

Adam Hills (who I’ve seen very little of) seems massively enthusiastic and Helen Skelton (who I’ve also seen very little of) seems like a delight too. In short, I’m well impressed and am buzzing that this is happening, could be a game changer. 

Two presenters who are familiar with the sport , Hills , an Aussie , and Helen , a Cumbrian girl married to a player , one with a dodgy groin 😂

A couple of points from me: they could have upped the south stand noise levels in the mix, and this isn’t the first time Channel 4 have shown a league game. I have a VHS of a Parra victory over Canterbury in a Grand Final, which included a brilliant eye of the tiger best of montage at the end, with Grothe scoring an absolute classic.

Edited by Exiled Wiganer
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The biggest game changing element is the response from the fans. All feedback appears to be positive. All interactions on social media have been great, which is so rare. 

It helped that it was a superb game with plenty of talking points. 

C4 taking it seriously since they got the rights has been brilliant, long may it continue. 

If they thought they were just going to do 10 games and that’s it they probably wouldn’t have put all this effort in, which I find encouraging. I have no idea what they’re paying for the 10 games mind you. 

5 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

A couple of points from me: they could have upped the south stand noise levels in the mix, and this isn’t the first time Channel 4 have shown a league game. I have a VHS of a Parra victory over Canterbury in a Grand Final, which included a brilliant eye of the tiger best of montage at the end, with Grotte scoring an absolute classic.

I love the pedantry on this forum, it’s superb. 

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I love the pedantry on this forum, it’s superb. 

Sarcasm, surely, i hate it (the nitpicking pedantry). Such a waste of time. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Skelton is from Kirkby Thore, a village on the A66, about 10 miles east of Penrith, which I'm afraid is rugby union country. A Thore point, as it were.

To be fair I've read she was a football fan, as were all her family. They weren't into Rugby of either code.

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

To be fair I've read she was a football fan, as were all her family. They weren't into Rugby of either code.

So a Carlisle fan , at the same time as a RL team played at Brunton Park , she'd have been aware of the sport 

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So a Carlisle fan , at the same time as a RL team played at Brunton Park , she'd have been aware of the sport 

It sounds like she was pretty clueless about it to me:

She explained: “Before I met Richie, I never watched it – my family are sports mad but we’re all into football. My brother Gavin is a footballer. I did every sport growing up. I pretty much tried every sport with a racquet and every sport with a ball, apart from rugby.

“I think my dad thought rugby was for softies – and it was something that posh southerners play. I’ve since learned that couldn’t be more wrong.”

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/helen-skelton-enjoys-rich-pickings-3875548

• Like 1