RL on Channel 4

dkw

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

It sounds like she was pretty clueless about it to me:

She explained: “Before I met Richie, I never watched it – my family are sports mad but we’re all into football. My brother Gavin is a footballer. I did every sport growing up. I pretty much tried every sport with a racquet and every sport with a ball, apart from rugby.

“I think my dad thought rugby was for softies – and it was something that posh southerners play. I’ve since learned that couldn’t be more wrong.”

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/helen-skelton-enjoys-rich-pickings-3875548

Was 

2 minutes ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

Not my figures but if this is anything to go by then I find this promising enough - Chris Bland@ChrisBland31@rugbyleagueontv Yesterday's @C4Sport rugby league game between @WarringtonRLFC and @leedsrhinos  got an average of 531'000 viewers, peaking at 735'000

Jesus. That’s incredible. 

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

It sounds like she was pretty clueless about it to me:

She explained: “Before I met Richie, I never watched it – my family are sports mad but we’re all into football. My brother Gavin is a footballer. I did every sport growing up. I pretty much tried every sport with a racquet and every sport with a ball, apart from rugby.

“I think my dad thought rugby was for softies – and it was something that posh southerners play. I’ve since learned that couldn’t be more wrong.”

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/helen-skelton-enjoys-rich-pickings-3875548

It's slightly shocking that Skelton's father - a dairy farmer, I think - didn't seem to be aware rugby league existed; even though he lives/lived in a county where the game is played at amateur and semi-professional level! Mind you, they do say Cumbria is more of a country than a county.

Edited by Hopping Mad

Just now, Jughead said:

Jesus. That’s incredible. 

It is mate. No need to call me Jesus though 😉😂.

I think they are great figures. Would be interested what the on demand figures are also mate. You’re never going to please everyone but personally as a league fan who welcomes terrestrial coverage, I struggle with that kick off time but that’s just me. At least we have catch up options and a variety of weekend options to watch games 👍.

Such a positive time for our sport!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yes was, because you were the one talking in the past tense and how she would have been aware of the sport because of an RL team at Brunton Park, something that hasn't happened for over 2 decades.

Yes , so it stopped in her mid teens , she'd have been aware of it , she might not have watched it , but been aware , quoted " my dad said it was a game for softies " 

Anyway it's not important enough to spend endless seconds on here discussing ( arguing ) the point 

Edited by GUBRATS

3 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

It's slightly shocking that Skelton's father - a dairy farmer, I think - didn't seem to be aware rugby league existed; even though he lives/lived in a county where the game is played at amateur and semi-professional level! Mind you, they do say Cumbria is more of a country than a county.

Cumbria seems a bit weird in that regard. At Uni I knew people from there who were fanatical RL fans. I also knew people who had played nothing but RU and genuinely knew nothing about RL until they started playing it at Uni.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Of all the shocking things happening in the world right now…. the fact that a TV presenter’s dad in Cumbria didn’t know much/anything about rugby league - or that we are even talking about that - is definitely the most shocking 🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes , so it stopped in her mid teens , she'd have been aware of it , she might not have watched it , but been aware , quoted " my dad said it was a game for softies " 

I mean most people would take that to mean RU, not RL. I thought that was quite obvious.

Just now, Damien said:

Cumbria seems a bit weird in that regard. At Uni I knew people from there who were fanatical RL fans. I also knew people who had played nothing but RU and genuinely knew nothing about RL until they started playing it at Uni.

I lived in Cumbria for five years - and explored every corner. It's a strange county. East and west rarely meet. Ditto north and south. Partly a cultural thing, partly - I suspect - because of the dire road network and poor public transport. I remember once chatting to an elderly  couple in a churchyard at Grayrigg (near Kendal). I mentioned Whitehaven. "Ooh," the woman said. "We've never been there." (as if it were somewhere south of Aberystwyth)

• Like 5

I hope those viewing figures include a lot of new viewers to the game as well as hardcore fans.

How do they compare with BBC Challenge Cup stuff?

Whatever I thought C4 made a good start and I expect it to get even more slick over time.

The uncluttered nature of the commentary was my favourite bit plus the VT segments - the presenters confidence will grow over the weeks no doubt.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

Of all the shocking things happening in the world right now…. the fact that a TV presenter’s dad in Cumbria didn’t know much/anything about rugby league - or that we are even talking about that - is definitely the most shocking 🤣

Oh, come on. We're inhabiting the sporting parallel universe here. 🙂 

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

They seem like great figures and hopefully Channel 4 are happy.

If this page is accurate, the 735k live number would put it into the top 20 programmes for Channel 4 for the week.

Top programmes report | Thinkbox

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

12 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I was hoping for nearer 1m peak. 

I try to stay away from comparison with other sports but I would be genuinely interested in how the figure for a league game between to well known teams (admittedly their first game of the season) compared to the BBC figures for the Six Nations game (a long established famous international tournament.)

16 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I was hoping for nearer 1m peak. 

What’s that based on? I’d imagine you can’t compare lunchtime slot on Ch4 is comparable to a 1500hrs slot on BBC1. The important element here is if Ch4 are happy; not our own guesstimates of what is good or not.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

Off the Tv subject but Cumbria is a funny one as from my experience Carlisle is Football but even in Whitehaven and Workington you kids who support the Rugby League teams but are Man U fans for what ever and then places like Kendal, Penrith have  Rugby Union on a smaller scale.

Watching a whole game at lunchtime on a Saturday doesn't really fit with my domestic routine.  No matter; I just recorded it and watched it in the evening.  That prompts me to ask, out of interest, whether anybody knows if the quoted viewing figures include people, like me, who were recording it to watch later?  I have no idea of the technicalities involved in getting these figures?

Like all on here, I greatly enjoyed the quality of the coverage.  Inevitably, there was the odd teething trouble, like the replacement player captions already mentioned, but I particularly liked just the two commentators and Kyle Amor's easy articulacy. 

I also liked the comparative lack of action replays.  On Sky, there is a tendency to replay comparatively trivial things like a knock on, even when play has recommenced.  Replays are, no doubt, a boon to a producer of RU coverage, because the game is littered with tedious stoppages that need to be filled, but are not suited to RL. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Watching a whole game at lunchtime on a Saturday doesn't really fit with my domestic routine.  No matter; I just recorded it and watched it in the evening.  That prompts me to ask, out of interest, whether anybody knows if the quoted viewing figures include people, like me, who were recording it to watch later?  I have no idea of the technicalities involved in getting these figures?

If you look at the page I posted, it includes figures for live, VOSDAL (which stands for Viewing On Same Day As Live) and Time-Shifted (which is recorded for future viewing).

I suspect it will be too soon to include the latter figures so I would imagine the figure is for live viewing only.  But that is just a guess on my part.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris