RL on Channel 4

dkw

7 minutes ago, Padge said:

Do you think the Pryce RU comment may have been premeditated to set Twitter alight.

Tomkins has a lot of TV experience behind him already having done loads of features for Sky so is very comfortable in front of the camera and is quick to chime in, most of the time Pryce needed to be prompted to contribute.

Ch4 won't have the luxury of Tomkins that often though as it will depend on Catalans fixtures.

Who knows. I just think those kind of comments are pointless and unnecessary. They serve no real positive purpose.

Same with the comments made about the north, and southerners watching the broadcast.

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

40 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

I've just got round to watching the Leeds v Warrington game and have to admit to being a bit disappointed in some aspects of the Channel 4 production.

Biggest positives I thought were the commentary team who I really enjoyed listening to.

The rest, from the opening credits to the pre and post game content, felt pretty stale and uninteresting to me. Much more creativity is needed here, and makes me wonder whether Channel 4 are taking a softly softly approach in this first season.

As good as Adam Hills is on other shows, I think he still needs some time to find his feet in this environment.

I like Sam Tomkins, and think he could have a post playing career on TV. But I'm not keen on Leon Pryce in this role, especially after the opening comments about RU. There must be better options out there.

Was great to see the game on terrestrial TV though, and be able to watch it on catch up!

I tend to agree with most of this.  

I thought the video parts were good but the pre-game chat was tye usual 3 or 4 people stood at the side of the pitch which was not particularly innovative. 

Adam Hills sounded a bit nervous to me, which is understandable considering it is a different format.

But having Super League on terrestrial TV is the big win so I am commenting rather than complaining. 

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

But having Super League on terrestrial TV is the bog win so I am commenting rather than complaining. 

Completely. Me too. Just my observations.

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

12 minutes ago, Padge said:

Do you think the Pryce RU comment may have been premeditated to set Twitter alight.

Tomkins has a lot of TV experience behind him already having done loads of features for Sky so is very comfortable in front of the camera and is quick to chime in, most of the time Pryce needed to be prompted to contribute.

Ch4 won't have the luxury of Tomkins that often though as it will depend on Catalans fixtures.

I wasn't saying it was right or wrong but maybe had been 'scripted' in for effect. The rights or wrongs of it are a different thing.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I imagine they'll review their performances during the week and learn from them. If they continue to improve for the foreseeable future, by the seasons end, they'll be terrific. I thought it was a very fresh approach and the game was a great spectacle. 

What's the betting that the only handful of people out of the hundreds of thousands who watched the game on C4, who are still picking away at Pryce's throwaway comment like it was an old scab, are on this forum?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

What's the betting that the only handful of people out of the hundreds of thousands who watched the game on C4, who are still picking away at Pryce's throwaway comment like it was an old scab, are on this forum?

He also threw in "I told you Blackpool was better then Bondi"

• Haha 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

The positivity continues…

“With Channel 4 now based in Leeds, I think we will be talking about all sorts of things moving forward. Already we feel part of rugby league.”

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/channel-4-rugby-league-sky-23096706

RLL.6019433e9326e5.32588865.png
There`s a brief survey at the end of that article, probably worthwhile filling  out, the more responses to these sort of things the better.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think the sport would benefit from a structured series of announcements on a regular basis to shine a positive light on the sport.

This is akin to a PR campaign and I think we saw good evidence of it by the people who built up the RLWC originally (and will need to do so again).

Although we often bemoan our sport at times it has been very innovative at times.

Im sure there is a Herculean effort possibly going overworked and underpaid behind the scenes to make rugby league newsworthy but more could be done.

You know what,  it hadn't occurred to me but one hopes they'll start doing promos for the world Cup on channel 4, that hopefully gets some entirely new supporters to the world Cup games

• Like 4

Let's hope Hull fans are just last minute buyers and Saints bring a decent following, because at the minute my guess would there will be about 10-11k rattling around in that stadium which won't look quite as impressive on TV as last week did. 

https://hullfc.talent-sport.co.uk/PagesPublic/ProductBrowse/VisualSeatSelection.aspx?stadium=HR&product=202201&campaign=&type=H&productsubtype=&productIsHomeAsAway=N

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold

14 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Adam Hills sounded a bit nervous to me, which is understandable considering it is a different format.

Just caught a replay of the last twenty minutes of last weeks episode of `Last Leg`, you`re dead right he was very nervous about hosting C4 League`s coverage and if he would be able to pull it off. One thing for sure there is no way the audience wouldn`t have known it`s on, gave it a big plug in their sports wrap-up, to very loud applause and he was mentioning it repeatedly, Gave it a big rap at the end of the programme and said to the audience see you all tomorrow midday on channel 4. Rugby League ball with the channel 4 logo displayed prominently on his desk as well. I think we can safely say he`ll be plugging it every week.

• Like 8

My take from the coverage was simply how much better it is when there's a commentator who's actually capable of commentating on the game. Compared to C4, Sky's coverage from Toulouse was like watching the game in a pub with 2 blokes next to you chatting about the match (who you wished would shut up), while the occasional commentary amounted to "Fages..(10 second gap)...he's given a try". Truly abysmal.

We don't need a Vossy, just someone who can do a proper commentary. It makes the game seem more exciting, which is great for C4, and any new viewers. Anyone watching RL on Sky for the first time would think it was the dullest game in the world.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Human Punk said:

My take from the coverage was simply how much better it is when there's a commentator who's actually capable of commentating on the game. Compared to C4, Sky's coverage from Toulouse was like watching the game in a pub with 2 blokes next to you chatting about the match (who you wished would shut up), while the occasional commentary amounted to "Fages..(10 second gap)...he's given a try". Truly abysmal.

We don't need a Vossy, just someone who can do a proper commentary. It makes the game seem more exciting, which is great for C4, and any new viewers. Anyone watching RL on Sky for the first time would think it was the dullest game in the world.

In fairness, they weren't really comparable commentary positions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

Just caught a replay of the last twenty minutes of last weeks episode of `Last Leg`, you`re dead right he was very nervous about hosting C4 League`s coverage and if he would be able to pull it off. One thing for sure there is no way the audience wouldn`t have known it`s on, gave it a big plug in their sports wrap-up, to very loud applause and he was mentioning it repeatedly, Gave it a big rap at the end of the programme and said to the audience see you all tomorrow midday on channel 4. Rugby League ball with the channel 4 logo displayed prominently on his desk as well. I think we can safely say he`ll be plugging it every week.

He’s plugged the game on the last leg most weeks for years now mate.  Absolutely top man, nice bloke “in the flesh” too 👍

18 hours ago, The Rocket said:
RLL.6019433e9326e5.32588865.png
There`s a brief survey at the end of that article, probably worthwhile filling  out, the more responses to these sort of things the better.

Filled out and signed up to the newsletter boss 👍

Really positive article that by the way 👏 

• Like 2

On 04/02/2022 at 12:50, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It looks as though plenty are happy with a Saturday at 12:30pm, it’s certainly more of a family friendly time than 8pm on a Friday 

Saturday at 12.30pm is my favourite kick-off time. I also like Monday night. I detest Thursday night, don't like Friday night either. There's usually more passing during afternoon rugby, I think some of that is psychological. Most the best RL and RU matches seem to start in the early to mid afternoon.

• Like 1

Cymru Am Byth/New South Wales

59 minutes ago, LlanWests said:

Saturday at 12.30pm is my favourite kick-off time. I also like Monday night. I detest Thursday night, don't like Friday night either. There's usually more passing during afternoon rugby, I think some of that is psychological. Most the best RL and RU matches seem to start in the early to mid afternoon.

Interesting points regarding passing the ball about 👍

3 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Interesting points regarding passing the ball about 👍

You often hear it talked about over here as well, the reason cited is because often in the evening the dew starts to settle and even that little bit of moisture can make ball-handling more difficult, I suppose players are a little less confident of throwing the ball around because of that as well. I agree with the previous poster though in that there may well be a psychological element to more open style of play you often see in day-time League as well.

Evening games are often preferred though because of T.V., also often easier to get a crowd and a lot of people say that the atmosphere is better when you have that enclosed feeling of a game played under lights.

• Like 1