RL on Channel 4

dkw

14 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

That's just a feature of RL I'm afraid, and we shouldn't be afraid of it. Every game can't be a classic nor should we expect it to be.

There are currently 6 Premier League games at half time and 5 of them are 0-0, I doubt any of those clubs are the slightest bit bothered about the product.

Absolutely! There will be many posts (here and on other social media) about how today was a MASSIVE DISASTER FOR RUGBY LEAGUE!!!

No, it was just a mediocre game; something that happens in all sports, and usually a lot more often in other sports. And the fans of those sports have the sense of perspective to just accept it and hope for a better game next time.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

Another good presentation, but I'm not a fan of Leon Pryce doing the colour commentary

He was fine last week doing the punditry, but he mumbles too much into the mic to be a good colour commentator. In fact, he was so incomprehensible most of the time, I couldn't tell you if what he said made any sense!

What’s a colour commentary? 

11 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Absolutely! There will be many posts (here and on other social media) about how today was a MASSIVE DISASTER FOR RUGBY LEAGUE!!!

No, it was just a mediocre game; something that happens in all sports, and usually a lot more often in other sports. And the fans of those sports have the sense of perspective to just accept it and hope for a better game next time.

It's disappointing because the viewing figures will inevitably have been affected (even I switched off at 26-0), but it is a marathon not a sprint.

I think we treat the public as simple too. People know that sport brings up mismatches. Football is so widespread that a 0-0 boreathon is only ever viewed as an indication of that specific game.

Take NFL, you can very much imagine many people tuning in to the Superbowl for the first time and thinking it's great/rubbish. I doubt many would judge it based on the fact it might be a blowout.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I think we treat the public as simple too. People know that sport brings up mismatches.

The people who aren't committed fans will accept that and move on. As will those of us who can see the bigger picture.

It's the mopey die-hards who'll want to see this as a sign of impending, inevitable and final disaster. And they'll bang on about it, again and again and again and again and...

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

It's disappointing because the viewing figures will inevitably have been affected (even I switched off at 26-0), but it is a marathon not a sprint.

I think we treat the public as simple too. People know that sport brings up mismatches. Football is so widespread that a 0-0 boreathon is only ever viewed as an indication of that specific game.

Take NFL, you can very much imagine many people tuning in to the Superbowl for the first time and thinking it's great/rubbish. I doubt many would judge it based on the fact it might be a blowout.

People new to the game night have enjoyed seeing loads of tries. 

43 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

That's just a feature of RL I'm afraid, and we shouldn't be afraid of it. Every game can't be a classic nor should we expect it to be.

There are currently 6 Premier League games at half time and 5 of them are 0-0, I doubt any of those clubs are the slightest bit bothered about the product.

I don't know where I said I was afraid. I just said it was a shame.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I always remember a season opener where Widnes played Toulouse. We got a decent crowd in and ended up winning 70-0 (how things change). I was disappointed, because I'd have preferred a bit of a challenge that a mismatch.

My 7 year old nephew turned round and said 'That's the best game I've ever seen.' 😅

• Haha 1

I always remember a season opener where Widnes played Toulouse. We got a decent crowd in and ended up winning 70-0 (how things change). I was disappointed, because I'd have preferred a bit of a challenge that a mismatch.

My 7 year old nephew turned round and said 'That's the best game I've ever seen.' 😅

• Like 1

Now we remember that you remember remember remember lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

Clearly, the game today was not equal to the one I missed last weekend (well, I assume not), but I was also impressed at the coverage. Respectful, which is what we have asked for in all the time I have been alive.

• Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

Clearly, the game today was not equal to the one I missed last weekend (well, I assume not), but I was also impressed at the coverage. Respectful, which is what we have asked for in all the time I have been alive.

I also missed last weeks game on 4 but enjoyed the game & coverage today. Anyone unhappy with Leon Pryce today must’ve missed Baz tonight on Sky, it’s either inane or incorrect.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Morris Wanchuk said:

I also missed last weeks game on 4 but enjoyed the game & coverage today. Anyone unhappy with Leon Pryce today must’ve missed Baz tonight on Sky, it’s either inane or incorrect.

Must agree here. I never minded the Sky coverage, well I thought it was a bit dated and excruciating but thought that was just what RL gets; however having seen C4 I now know what it can be like and watching Sky games now will be a proper chore. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Must agree here. I never minded the Sky coverage, well I thought it was a bit dated and excruciating but thought that was just what RL gets; however having seen C4 I now know what it can be like and watching Sky games now will be a proper chore. 

Tbh, I think people are going over the top in their criticism of Sky versus C4. 

The main difference is the secondary commentators, but C4 was much worse today without Amor. But Sky's presentation isn't bad, Carney is excellent and has some decent support and Wells is very good. 

It Reay is the Baz and Tez element and they wouldn't be too far apart. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I agree that it's even more noticeable watching Sky now. Sky just need a good clear out of the deadwood and need to have less people involved. It needs to be quality over quantity.

• Like 2

Just now, Damien said:

I agree that it's even more noticeable watching Sky now. Sky just need a good clear out of the deadwood and need to have less people involved. It needs to be quality over quantity.

Unfortunately they have just tried to create a new Stevo in Baz and Tez. I genuinely believe if they just cut those two tomorrow the presentation improves tenfold. Other stuff would then just be tweaks. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Unfortunately they have just tried to create a new Stevo in Baz and Tez. I genuinely believe if they just cut those two tomorrow the presentation improves tenfold. Other stuff would then just be tweaks. 

I agree but recruiting JJB and Wilkin doesn't make things any better either in my opinion. The better pundits that I have seen on Sky are all irregular because they are still playing, the likes of Sam Tomkins, Danny Maguire, Ash Golding etc.

I have to say I much prefer the C4 commentary too and like the way that Mark Wilson calls the game. I appreciate that may be personal preference but I think that is an area which is far superior to sky too. Sky have never really had a proper replacement for Eddie Hemmings.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I'm not a fan of Terry O'connor as I think his summarising of the action is clichéd and not particularly insightful.

But Barrie McDermott has his moments.  I think he can make some funny quips and he also has some interesting takes on the people side of the sport.  I thought his comments today in the Catalans game about Chan where he said it is easier coach aggression out of a player than coach aggression into a player was interesting.  I hadn't thought of that before and it does make a lot of sense psychologically. 

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I didn’t mind although I might be biased as Saints fan watching Saints play described by an ex Saints player!

Ar one point when talking about Saints he said "We".

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

25 minutes ago, Damien said:

Sky have never really had a proper replacement for Eddie Hemmings.

That includes during the Eddie era as he largely stopped commentating on plays and got obsessed with moaning from around the mid 2000s.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

48 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The main difference is the secondary commentators, but C4 was much worse today without Amor. But Sky's presentation isn't bad, Carney is excellent and has some decent support and Wells is very good. 

Barry and Terry were a funny novelty for about 3 games when they were used on the fringe games; it just doesn't work every week.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yeah BC and JW can stay for sure, I haven’t got an issue with either of them, or Jenna Brooks. The rest of it is dated tho. 

• Like 1