RL on Channel 4

dkw

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Population for City of Wakefield is 325,837.

Population for area covered by Newcastle City Council is 300,820 (according to them).

It's not a hill I particularly care about, let alone want to die on, but I didn't just make the figures up.

As Barley Mow points out, the figure your quoting includes Castleford, Pontefract, Featherstone etc. As cities go Wakefield is small.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

1 hour ago, theswanmcr said:

Here’s a nerdy/stupid one of how a reverse SL (eg southern) would look. How many could pinpoint all these on a map? 

No real Leeds equivalent so thats a bit made-up (bringing Maxwell’s football dream of the Royals finally to life!) but all the rest are within 5k of population of related teams

Reading & Oxford Rhinos

Luton FC

Luton KR

Southend Wolves

Peterborough Giants

Basingstoke Red Devils

Bedford Warriors

Woking Saints

Gillingham Trinity

Newbury Tigers

😎

As I've previously admitted, I can happily spend hours looking at maps/ planning journeys so I'd do ok with most of them.

• Like 1

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

11 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Which is why the suggestion was for the national side to start playing more regularly. 6 to 10 games a year shouldn't be impossible.

Which opponents would you have them play who can draw good crowds and TV audiences and give England competitive matches?  And how do you envision that turning casual newbies into regular fans if the pro clubs are all in out of the way places they don't know anything about?

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

Which opponents would you have them play who can draw good crowds and TV audiences and give England competitive matches?  And how do you envision that turning casual newbies into regular fans if the pro clubs are all in out of the way places they don't know anything about?

Scotland, Ireland, Wales and France. England can play in non-heartland areas (say in Bristol against Wales) or in these nations themselves.

They don't have to be all turned into regular fans, but picking up a general interest in the game, following the sport on social media etc. is the important point for the sport as it is now; as we clearly need to improve not just the sheer numbers of our audience, but its diversity and economic prosperity too.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Sunday Brunch cutting to Helen Skelton and Martin Offiah at Wigan to promote the Wigan v Salford match later on channel 4.

It was only brief but I love the cross selling that Channel 4 have done this season. It is something that very rarely happens in RL compared to other sports and always feels notable when it does. It really is huge free advertising for the sport and every little helps to lift the profile.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 12

32 minutes ago, Damien said:

Sunday Brunch cutting to Helen Skelton and Martin Offiah at Wigan to promote the Wigan v Salford match later on channel 4.

It was only brief but I love the cross selling that Channel 4 have done this season. It is something that very rarely happens in RL compared to other sports and always feels notable when it does. It really is huge free advertising for the sport and every little helps to lift the profile.

Something that the BBC has never done and will never attempt to do .

• Like 3

Martin Offiah coming across well although he still thinks it's all about him which is quite funny. You'd almost think he is still playing!

He is a big personality and without doubt still one of the games biggest names (pretty sad to say that 25 odd years after he finished playing). A London accent on the panel is good when it comes to giving a more national appeal too.

It's criminal that the game doesn't use its most famous names more.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Damien said:

Martin Offiah coming across well although he still thinks it's all about him which is quite funny. You'd almost think he is still playing!

He is a big personality and without doubt still one of the games biggest names (pretty sad to say that 25 odd years after he finished playing). A London accent on the panel is good when it comes to giving a more national appeal too.

It's criminal that the game doesn't use its most famous names more.

Offiah should be used a lot more. He is our Wally Lewis type character (in that he is not polished) but people are genuinely interested in the player/person and what they have to say about RL and their experiences.

• Like 4

Offiah is so loose and funny and loves being the centre of attention. 

Him sitting down with Field and French as he purred over speed was enjoyable. Bringing up the 10-try game and playing his iconic tries as they watched on the laptop made me giggle.

Him and Tomkins are really good. Tomkins, despite his on-field persona at times, comes across as humble, quietly-spoken and considered. Always worth listening to!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RigbyLuger said:

He's good at that stuff, but Tomkins and Priim have put his analysis in the shade.

Offiah's not there for analysis, though. He's there for exuberance and enthusiasm. Everyone played their part well in today's presentation.

• Like 10

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Offiah's not there for analysis, though. He's there for exuberance and enthusiasm. Everyone played their part well in today's presentation.

Yes you need a mix mixture. The balance on C4 was pretty much perfect today. 

Tomkins and Priim are really good analysts and come across really, really well. Offiah is the star name and seemed really enthused by the game, his enthusiasm was infectious. Added to that Amor was again excellent as was Wilson in commentary.

Another good showing from C4.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 8

Well that was energetic and madcap!

Really enjoyed the game, errors and all. That last 10 minutes was quite fun, heehee.

Fun panel as well. RL on C4 seems to come across with a buzz and a freshness.

Offiah just makes me laugh, even when he doesn't talk - which is rare. His comments on the QareQare try and Saints having youngsters out, when Skelton said it was Offiah-esque made me chortle. Yeah, it was good, but not as good as mine, in essence. He lightens things up with his presence.

Good early afternoon fun!

• Like 4

On 26/03/2022 at 19:56, theswanmcr said:

Here’s a nerdy/stupid one of how a reverse SL (eg southern) would look. How many could pinpoint all these on a map? 

No real Leeds equivalent so thats a bit made-up (bringing Maxwell’s football dream of the Royals finally to life!) but all the rest are within 5k of population of related teams

Reading & Oxford Rhinos

Luton FC

Luton KR

Southend Wolves

Peterborough Giants

Basingstoke Red Devils

Bedford Warriors

Woking Saints

Gillingham Trinity

Newbury Tigers

😎

Easy-peas. ....but which Gillingham? Norfolk, Dorset or Kent? 😊

Anyway, what's the point of the thread?  Seems to be somewhat peripatetic.

I watched their broadcast of Wigan V Salford. Good stuff all round and I see no reason why it would not have appealed to a nationwide audience.  Good choice of presenters -Offiah's enthusiasm is infectious - and not an old wind-breaker or impenetrable accent anywhere to be heard. All in all a welcome addition to the BBC and Sky coverage.

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 4

Big shout out (that's me trying to keep up with the times, quoting Steve Wright. I think it means many congratulations) for Channel 4 on this one, the whole show was great.

Please keep Martin Offiah, he brought some real authentic enthusiasm about the game and a great sense of humour.

The ladies were great too, young, fresh, bright and yet very knowledgeable commentary.

All in all a very enjoyable presentation.

Last, but by no means least, the players, who contrived to produce a truly spectacular match, the outcome of which was uncertain, right to the end.

This medium (I believe) has the recipe right, to draw in many new spectators to our favourite game.  

Edited by fighting irish
  • Like 10

2 minutes ago, Heritage XIII said:

Gary Carter on twitter says Wigan v Salford garnered ch 4 viewing figures of 213k average, peak 270k I think. 

Surely the inconsistent coverage is hurting chances of more solid ratings?

The irregularity won't help I suspect. I must admit till I saw this thread I had forgotten it was even on.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The irregularity won't help I suspect. I must admit till I saw this thread I had forgotten it was even on.

I just registered with Channel 4 which promises email alerts in future, so that might help you and I personally, not to miss any in future. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Need a weekly game but with only 12 teams not enough variety or stories to tell. Got to push for a new deal that gets one weekly fta SL game next time. 

There’s plenty to tell, we just don’t bother. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JohnM said:

Easy-peas. ....but which Gillingham? Norfolk, Dorset or Kent? 😊

Anyway, what's the point of the thread?  Seems to be somewhat peripatetic.

I watched their broadcast of Wigan V Salford. Good stuff all round and I see no reason why it would not have appealed to a nationwide audience.  Good choice of presenters -Offiah's enthusiasm is infectious - and not an old wind-breaker or impenetrable accent anywhere to be heard. All in all a welcome addition to the BBC and Sky coverage.

I know what you mean about the lack of any impenetrable accents but the presenters still managed to represent a lot of the main RL areas