RL on Channel 4

dkw

14 hours ago, LeeF said:

They get third pick of the games on the 10 weeks of their agreement so by definition it is likely that they end up with one of the “lesser” lights

I thought I had read they got 2nd choice in the weeks they had fixtures? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I thought I had read they got 2nd choice in the weeks they had fixtures? 

Maybe. I thought that I had read they had the choice after Sky so maybe 3rd game but 2nd choice. Who knows - typical smoke & mirrors probably 

It had completely passed me by that Channel 4 has apparently won the rights to England football internationals for the next couple of years.

Any promotion of Super League games during those broadcasts would be worth so much to us.

• Like 7

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Cas v Wigan will now be shown on Channel 4 on June 4th.

When was the last time Sky spoke as positively about rugby league as Channel 4's Head of Sport does: 

"To televise two mаjor gаmes next to eаch other in the schedule represents а historic dаy for Chаnnel 4,” sаid Pete Andrews, Chаnnel 4’s heаd of sport." 

This seаson’s Super Leаgue hаs been fаntаstic for us, but putting it together with the Englаnd footbаll teаm is а very significаnt chаpter in Chаnnel 4’s history.”

(The two 'major games' he refers to are Cas-Wigan and the England football International! ) 

Edited by Toby Chopra
  • Like 6

Tories intent on selling channel 4 off.So it is important that we make the most of the opportunity to showcase our sport.If viewing figures stand up it may lead to mote games being shown in the future .The numbers will decide as a private channel 4 will want to attract good advertisement returns.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Tories intent on selling channel 4 off.So it is important that we make the most of the opportunity to showcase our sport.If viewing figures stand up it may lead to mote games being shown in the future .The numbers will decide as a private channel 4 will want to attract good advertisement returns.

alternatively... if ITV buy Channel 4 then it may help us get a bigger audience and more investment in production of the sport... or whatever private entity may see sport as key platform and put more money into sports like RL...

10 minutes ago, redjonn said:

alternatively... if ITV buy Channel 4 then it may help us get a bigger audience and more investment in production of the sport... or whatever private entity may see sport as key platform and put more money into sports like RL...

There's a huge if there. When have ITV ever shown an inclination to show RL nationwide? Never in my lifetime. Even in the 80s when it was on Granada it was very randomly shown.

C4 have a remit and a somewhat niche outlook and RL fits perfectly with that. I don't think a commercial company like ITV does and history shows they are much more interested in fawning over RU and Football.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

There's a huge if there. When have ITV ever shown an inclination to show RL nationwide? Never in my lifetime. Even in the 80s when it was on Granada it was very randomly shown.

C4 have a remit and a somewhat niche outlook and RL fits perfectly with that. I don't think a commercial company like ITV does and history shows they are much more interested in fawning over RU and Football.

not really a big if... but I was just putting another view.  If C4 have had a remit its taken an awful long time for them to show RL. 

I don't see why a initiative from RL couldn't be made to ITV if it bought CH4 as it will come/inherit the same public conditions as Ch4 currently have for that part of the business.

ITV or whatever broadcaster buys Ch4 they are not shutting down that channel outlet.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, redjonn said:

not really a big if... but I was just putting another view.  If C4 have had a remit its taken an awful long time for them to show RL. 

Indeed it has, but what's changed is that they're now fighting for their lives. 

It's now clear that C4's RL coverage was part of its defence mechanism against privatisation: ie to show that a public body can broadcast things that have important cultural resonance, but aren't necessarily commercially the most profitable. 

Kinda like why the BBC sticks with us, really. 

If a foreign private media company buys C4, that's under theat. 

So it's time to write to our MPs, either to stop privatisation entirely, or to ensure if a sale goes through there are enough safeguards in place that could protect things like rugby league coverage. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

It's now clear that C4's RL coverage was part of its defence mechanism against privatisation: ie to show that a public body can broadcast things that have important cultural resonance, but aren't necessarily commercially the most profitable. 

So it's time to write to our MPs, either to stop privatisation entirely, or to ensure if a sale goes through there are enough safeguards in place that could protect things like rugby league coverage. 

the public broadcast remit will be part of the conditions which in itself may narrow those prepared to buy in.

Anyway I see the underlying concern but agree with your comments except I ain't against privatisation of itself.   

Mind you I'll miss those reality shows Ch4 live off and Naked Attraction - I guess if that's its public service commitment then maybe RL will find it hard to compete.

Edited by redjonn
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

The BBC and C4 are a stealth tax, payable whether you watch them or not. I’m all for privatising them both, but rugby league then needs to show its worth to private broadcasters to get shown. To do that the sport’s governing body and clubs will have to up their game which is a win for everyone. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The BBC and C4 are a stealth tax, payable whether you watch them or not. I’m all for privatising them both, but rugby league then needs to show its worth to private broadcasters to get shown. To do that the sport’s governing body and clubs will have to up their game which is a win for everyone. 

How is C4, with 0p of government funding, a "stealth tax" then?

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’m pleased to see a Cas home game selected, granted the ground is past it but it should be fairly full and bouncing, good for tv. 

I actually like the way that C4 are taking in a selection of clubs and grounds. I think they have been clever in their fixture selection.

17 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’m pleased to see a Cas home game selected, granted the ground is past it but it should be fairly full and bouncing, good for tv. 

Absolutely. It always comes across well on TV in my view, regardless of what the spectator experience is. People look like they're having a good time. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

How is C4, with 0p of government funding, a "stealth tax" then?

It isn't currently, although it did get some monies to help it move digital a while ago, so you never know in the future if its commercial revenues aren't enough, then again it may well not need too.

Mind you Channel 4 TV company is 12 channels, so maybe hive off all the others except the channel showing RL and which we only ever think is Channel 4.   

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

C4 are a stealth tax

Are you 100% sure about that, Nadine?

• Haha 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

The BBC could be viewed this way but not Channel 4

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Oh yes the BBC for sure, but the taxpayer also helped fund C4s digitalisation. 

All for closing the BBC radio stations completely down total drain on the taxpayer.

Only decent radio comes from a boat LOL:)

www.atlantisradio.uk 

1 hour ago, M j M said:

Did they really? Are you sure about that?

To be precise and as I remember it was from the licence fee announced in 2006 over a period to cover costs of switchover.  This followed a campaign from Ch4 to receive a public subsidy to cover the costs.

So I guess depends how you view the licence fee.  It's a public subsidy which was used.

Who knows what's ahead and if Ch4 and its other TV, Film and Music channels will ever require a public subsidy to cover some other costs or losses.  Currently they have no need and I guess depends upon how you view that risk against the competition in broadcasting, Film and Music.

• Like 1