RL on Channel 4

dkw

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

The contract was only for a set number of games. Presumably on the part of C4 it's a bit of a test of the market but I'd also imagine Sky would put limits on this too. In the context of what has happened traditionally with RL TV rights it was a huge move for Sky to allow any FTA games in the first place.

Well to the other question that always remains unanswered to me. Why aren’t Sky televising more fixtures? The only reason I can think is the immediate ROI would be significantly negative.

Are the SL clubs blocking this so they can choose which day/night they play their home games?

16 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Well to the other question that always remains unanswered to me. Why aren’t Sky televising more fixtures? The only reason I can think is the immediate ROI would be significantly negative.

Are the SL clubs blocking this so they can choose which day/night they play their home games?

I think it's probably your first point. As a relatively minor domestic sport (I. E.  Not football),  we don't really have a culture in this country of covering loads of games. A couple of games a week is broadly the accepted number for SL,  sometimes we get three,  sometimes four,  but in reality,  due to the population watching,  the numbers start to drop off as the same people are not watching a 3rd or 4th game.  When Catalans games were on every week,  their Saturday night game was generally the lowest,  and I do think that was in part due to viewer fatigue. 

A quick look at comps like Scottish Football,  the EFL etc shows that the desire to take the costs to show all the games (or substantially more)  is not there. 

18 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Do I recall correctly that the Channel 4 deal included live coverage of a playoff game?

Two playoff games, according to https://www.rugbyleagueontv.com/channel4 

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/channel-4s-super-league-coverage-up-for-awards-59572/

In the Broadcast Sports awards 2022, Channel 4’s coverage of Super League is up for Sports Production of the Year whilst one of their star pundits is up for an individual award.

Former Leeds Rhinos women star Danika Priim is up for pundit of the year after a terrific season in front of the camera on Channel 4.

• Like 13

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/channel-4s-super-league-coverage-up-for-awards-59572/

In the Broadcast Sports awards 2022, Channel 4’s coverage of Super League is up for Sports Production of the Year whilst one of their star pundits is up for an individual award.

Former Leeds Rhinos women star Danika Priim is up for pundit of the year after a terrific season in front of the camera on Channel 4.

Thats great news and its very nice to see the production recognised in this way. It's thoroughly deserved.

• Like 3

Danica's the only newcomer among the pundits' shortlist. Not sure if that's a pro or a con.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Danica's the only newcomer among the pundits' shortlist. Not sure if that's a pro or a con.

When will we know the winners?

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

When will we know the winners?

The 1st of November.

• Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I just had a look at the C4 website, and all nine of their televised games are still available to stream in full, starting with Leeds v Warrington in February. That's some good extended availability!

• Like 4

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 01/10/2022 at 14:48, Gomersall said:

Sky have had the GF for 25 years and haven’t, to my recollection, ever done anything like this.

I thought it was great and I think Adam Hills slogan, ''I love rugby league me!'' is going to catch on. 

• Like 1