RL on Channel 4

3 hours ago, newbe said:

Kevin Brown is good, think it's down to a new generation of players who have recently retired, they seem to have a better grasp of the English language, the modern game.

Ash Golding is always good on Sky as well. 

• Like 1

Brilliant all round. Even the red card didn't put a dampner on it, because it was just calmy explained.

Even so as a great man once said surely a bit of controversy is part of the game's appeal. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Exhilarating game at times and a great job by C4 of building it up and covering it generally.

I like the simplicity of two commentators letting the action speak for itself instead of the constant patter on Sky that can almost make the on field action seem secondary.

Can’t wait for Hull FC vs St Helens now and the other games.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Exhilarating game at times and a great job by C4 of building it up and covering it generally.

I like the simplicity of two commentators letting the action speak for itself instead of the constant patter on Sky that can almost make the on field action seem secondary.

After the first attempt you want it on every week, how great would that be? I think in the long run it would help sky sports aswell. 2 games on sky sports and one on channel 4, wider audience would mean more people subscribing to see more rugby league.. if only..

• Like 2
f3gms4.jpg

Just watched on Channel 4’s catch-up. Really enjoyed the game (I skipped the pre-match and half-time chat). My wife, a solicitor, from Surrey - best described as an occasional watcher of rugby league (we don’t do Sky) - was similarly absorbed. The drama and tension needed no explanation. Looking forward to the next Channel 4 match.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, newbe said:

Kyle Amor is terrific as a co commentator, so much better than the muppets on Sky.

8 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

could not agree more 

8 hours ago, LeeF said:

He’s capable of putting together a sentence without resorting to cliches.

Also only having 2 voices on commentary works so much better

The commentary team was fantastic

• Like 2

Wibble

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Needs a big crowd at Hull (12k at least) and it will be a great spectacle. 

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Needs a big crowd at Hull (12k at least) and it will be a great spectacle. 

Hull are a fickle lot. Lose at Wakefield they will be tearing season passes up. Win and they will be there next week in big numbers talking about a great season.

24 minutes ago, newbe said:

Will be interesting to see if the co commentators muppets on Sky change their approach, after all the positive remarks on Ch4 today.

John Wilkin certainly isn't the answer 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, EggFace said:

Hate the idea of 12.30 kick off but was proved wrong with a great game and lush great crowd that early in the day, so yes nice to be proven wrong and fingers crossed this is a good change.

Good tv slot to.  Plenty of people heading off to 3pm kick offs in association football or at pub.  So good to get families Saturday afternoon plus for tv,  should be a nice start to alot of people's weekends. 

Yes as people have said long term,  copying the aussie model of game a week fta is ideal. Sky still get their thursday night and friday night slots, plus catalan home games and C4 helps us build a New audience. 

Excited to see the tv figures when they come out. 

Edited by ShropshireBull
  • Thanks 1

Watched the game back on All 4 as had to miss most of it live.

Technically the coverage seemed superior to Sky. The camera angles/editing/close-ups were qualitatively better and made an exciting game look fantastic.

My only criticism would be the captions. The interchange captions were shambolic.

Also, I would have thought a newbie would appreciate being told what a penalty/scrum was given for, and when there is a six again. Perhaps some stats too.

Other than that, v good 👏🏻

Just watching the start on playback as I didn’t see any of it yesterday. Great opening comment from Pryce about League being better to watch than Union 😂

Adam Hills (who I’ve seen very little of) seems massively enthusiastic and Helen Skelton (who I’ve also seen very little of) seems like a delight too. In short, I’m well impressed and am buzzing that this is happening, could be a game changer. 

Edited by Eddie
  • Like 3

The biggest game changing element is the response from the fans. All feedback appears to be positive. All interactions on social media have been great, which is so rare. 

It helped that it was a superb game with plenty of talking points. 

C4 taking it seriously since they got the rights has been brilliant, long may it continue. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Just watching the start on playback as I didn’t see any of it yesterday. Great opening comment from Pryce about League being better to watch than Union 😂

Adam Hills (who I’ve seen very little of) seems massively enthusiastic and Helen Skelton (who I’ve also seen very little of) seems like a delight too. In short, I’m well impressed and am buzzing that this is happening, could be a game changer. 

Two presenters who are familiar with the sport , Hills , an Aussie , and Helen , a Cumbrian girl married to a player , one with a dodgy groin 😂