Is the world cup happening?

There seems to be very little evidence reading the national papers or on the television that the RL world cup is taking place this year.

All we hear is constant references to the RU world cup in 2023!

Surely. there must be someone at RL headquarters responsible for promoting our RL world cup.

5 minutes ago, jroyales said:

There seems to be very little evidence reading the national papers or on the television that the RL world cup is taking place this year.

Surely. there must be someone at RL headquarters responsible for promoting our RL world cup.

I think the organisers have done a great job in difficult circumstances and I do see frequent news across social media. I'm not sure why there would be regular news articles at this stage and we have to remember it is the off season too where RL media opportunities are more limited. I can't say I have heard anything about the RU World Cup either. 

Why would there be many news articles in print or online in January, when a) the World Cup isn’t for ten months, b) domestic top flight Rugby League in the UK doesn’t start for another few weeks and c) the only other full time professional league, NRL, doesn’t start for about six or seven weeks? 

For the coverage Rugby League gets in the press here, the work completed by the RLWC team to promote the tournament has been impressive. We had a prime time advert in 2021 on free to air TV, I can’t ever remember that happening for any previous tournament here or any domestic rugby league. 

I have no truck with the OP and I agree that the organisers have been great, but I have noticed myself that the RLWC2021 social media channels have fallen a little silent since Xmas. Hopefully that's just to give the domestic season kick off a bit of space and things will start ramping up again soon.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

4 hours ago, jroyales said:

Constant? Other than the recent references to the 2023 RU cup now being a warm up to the RLWC2025 in France I wouldn't have known it was taking place there.....maybe it's because I don't read the RU papers or watch RU TV programmes.

5 hours ago, jroyales said:

I didn't know there was a RU WC in 2023 - I do know that the Rugby World Cup 2021 is being staged in 2022.

20 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Doesn't it all hinge on whether Australia and New Zealand are still wetting the bed over a nasty cold?

Theyve signed participation agreements this time around I believe, not that this stops them from hiding under the bed but I believe it makes it a bit more difficult (mum and dad have put some boxes under there)

Archived