Summer Bash

tms

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I have supporting the club I do have been involved in as many P&R games as most, and I have kept on going and supporting them simply because there was a prize to aim for if that was taken away and games that my club were involved was insignificant and didn't matter or not there would be a space on the terracing in my favourite place to stand, and in discussions with my neighbours on the terraces they would be absent also.

All of us went in the dead end tunnel that was the Licencing years, we wouldn't be going again, nor I doubt I would if we were a bottom dweller in SL, I would be sooner fight for survival than turn up to watch a game with nothing at stake.

I think that’s a different debate altogether but either way, whether with promotion and relegation or whether there is a licensing product, the number of meaningless fixtures is too large to ever really engage with an existing audience let alone a new audience and gimmicky events like loop fixtures are overly enforced attempts at keeping things interesting, when in actual fact three or four regular season games against your local rivals gets quite boring very quickly and devalues the rivalry let alone the competition.

There’s no easy fix for this either and even fewer that clubs would agree to. 

9 hours ago, Jughead said:

I think that’s a different debate altogether but either way, whether with promotion and relegation or whether there is a licensing product, the number of meaningless fixtures is too large to ever really engage with an existing audience let alone a new audience and gimmicky events like loop fixtures are overly enforced attempts at keeping things interesting, when in actual fact three or four regular season games against your local rivals gets quite boring very quickly and devalues the rivalry let alone the competition.

No fixture is meaningless , they all have value , just different ones depending on each club

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jughead said:

Meaningless?? So are there no points on offer..

7 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

No fixture is meaningless , they all have value , just different ones depending on each club

6 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Meaningless?? So are there no points on offer..

Plenty are utterly meaningless. We don’t need 28-30 regular rounds and playing half the competition three times were examples of plenty of meaningless, often mundane games. Playing as many games as that suited nobody but the club chairmen. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

Plenty are utterly meaningless. We don’t need 28-30 regular rounds and playing half the competition three times were examples of plenty of meaningless, often mundane games. Playing as many games as that suited nobody but the club chairmen. 

We don't ' need ' to play any game of RL at all , sounds like that is your preferred option 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

OK - So do clubs just play 3 or 4 games a season - if they play that few every game would be very important...

32 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

We don't ' need ' to play any game of RL at all , sounds like that is your preferred option 

12 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

OK - So do clubs just play 3 or 4 games a season - if they play that few every game would be very important...

Yeah, I didn’t say either of these options. 

Either way, we play too many games in the top division, rendering many, meaningless box ticking exercises that are only there to benefit the club chairmen and nobody else. We’ve also tried to force competition with too many gimmicks in an attempt at keeping things interesting. There’s a fine balance that I don’t think Super League has ever really got right but when it’s control is in the hands of the club chairmen, you’re going to get situations arising that are not really preferable for anyone bar those club chairmen. 

Edited by Jughead

9 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

When points are at stake that have a bearing on how a club's future could be affected I will agree with you, take away that "Results don't matter" scenario for teams battling against relegation brings, then yes some fixtures are meaningless.

On 25/01/2022 at 11:03, Harry Stottle said:

I still use Leigh, Lancashire not Leigh Gtr. Manchester on all correspondence be it written or electronic for my address, and I still receive post addressed Leigh Lancashire, as long as the postcode is correct it will find you.

Its a bit weird to me that so many Lancastrions have been so quick to drop thier Lancashire allegiances for the fake Merseyside and Greater Manchester 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Its a bit weird to me that so many Lancastrions have been so quick to drop thier Lancashire allegiances for the fake Merseyside and Greater Manchester 

Be fair, if you were a Lancastrian, you'd want to find a way of hiding your shame.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

When points are at stake that have a bearing on how a club's future could be affected I will agree with you, take away that "Results don't matter" scenario for teams battling against relegation brings, then yes some fixtures are meaningless.

As I said Harry , different values depending on each club , and indeed each fan 

8 hours ago, Jughead said:

Yeah, I didn’t say either of these options. 

Either way, we play too many games in the top division, rendering many, meaningless box ticking exercises that are only there to benefit the club chairmen and nobody else. We’ve also tried to force competition with too many gimmicks in an attempt at keeping things interesting. There’s a fine balance that I don’t think Super League has ever really got right but when it’s control is in the hands of the club chairmen, you’re going to get situations arising that are not really preferable for anyone bar those club chairmen. 

This thread isn't about SL 

With regards club chairmen , well yes , they are the ones who have to balance the books between income and costs involved in running a professional club , have you ever tried it ? 

6 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

Like who ?

And it's LancastriAns 

22 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

This thread isn't about SL 

With regards club chairmen , well yes , they are the ones who have to balance the books between income and costs involved in running a professional club , have you ever tried it ? 

The thread went that way. It’s how conversations work.

I’ve two businesses, so yes but I don’t wave it around to be condescending. However, I know better than to do something my clientele is not partial to, which is what Super League chairmen do. 

46 minutes ago, Jughead said:

The thread went that way. It’s how conversations work.

I’ve two businesses, so yes but I don’t wave it around to be condescending. However, I know better than to do something my clientele is not partial to, which is what Super League chairmen do. 

Did it ? Seems everybody else was discussing the Championship 

Good for you , how many of them are proffessional RL clubs ?

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Did it ? Seems everybody else was discussing the Championship 

Good for you , how many of them are proffessional RL clubs ?

Yes, it did.

None, obviously. But hey, before you get in there, yes, I am allowed to comment on my opinion on the sport and it doesn’t mean I have to get involved with running a club for my opinion to be validated because that’s the condescending road you’re heading down.

Just now, Jughead said:

Yes, it did.

None, obviously. But hey, before you get in there, yes, I am allowed to comment on my opinion on the sport and it doesn’t mean I have to get involved with running a club for my opinion to be validated because that’s the condescending road you’re heading down.

No it didn't , the only reference to SL was you , Harry referenced it in the promotion context , which is still the Championship 

So you're not a fan of the ' Bash ' ? , No problem , it isn't compulsory 

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

No it didn't , the only reference to SL was you , Harry referenced it in the promotion context , which is still the Championship 

So you're not a fan of the ' Bash ' ? , No problem , it isn't compulsory 

You’ve not read anything I’ve posted here, clearly.