Stadium updates .......

2 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Has anyone heard anything in regards to how the stadium bid is progressing?

I had a look on the Reds forum and noticed they had been given a small grant from their league which sounds like things are moving in the right direction 

are you talking about the 5k grant? that was to provide free footballing sessions at moorclose sports hall. its our AGM on Thursday so I'm sure the questions will be asked there.

I fully understand there is the need to get this right but its been about two years now since the initial plans were scrapped and we seem to be no further on? Part of the winning bid for the £25m town fund was to be put towards the new community stadium. Where is this cash? And how is it being spent?

1 hour ago, townie88 said:

I fully understand there is the need to get this right but its been about two years now since the initial plans were scrapped and we seem to be no further on? Part of the winning bid for the £25m town fund was to be put towards the new community stadium. Where is this cash? And how is it being spent?

That £25m was never actually real, this levelling up garbage that Jenkinson was spouting is a complete lie, has anyone seen any of this money spent anywhere? Its basically a scam by the Tories to try and get people on there side, we will never see any of that money.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dkw said:

That £25m was never actually real, this levelling up garbage that Jenkinson was spouting is a complete lie, has anyone seen any of this money spent anywhere? Its basically a scam by the Tories to try and get people on there side, we will never see any of that money.

Cant disagree with anything. Its frustrating seeing the whole town have a carrot dangled in front of them and not seeing any progress. Im sure there's been plenty going on behind the scenes. But an update would be nice

The stadium project is at the design stage, fundraising is going well. People are working hard on the project. Some of the funding comes from the £25m. People assume because it isn't being trumpeted at every stage that it's over, it certainly isn't. When the plans have been submitted & approved then it will be publicised.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I know at this level we can't pick and choose but just hope the new main stand seats are elevated above a standing area below - similar to what we have now (or Leeds South stand) - nothing worse than watching RL sat at pitch level as you can bet there won't be more than 10 rows of seats to get a good view.

Saying that, to keep costs down hope 3 sides are just standing and they could put a Town/Reds club shop and pub/venue in as well to open up commercial opportunities.

To be honest I would be happy to have a slow staged build around DP (move Reds in)  - loads of room so start with the river end, then the popular side etc etc - keep finances under control as well as they could build 3 stands over 10 years then redevelop the main stand..  we can dream

I wasn't being critical, just a genuine interest to see if there had been any progress. I totally get that other funding pots couldn't be accessed until the main bid had been approved, and if I've understood how these government grants work, the money has to be spent by the end of 2024, so it doesn't leave much time to plan and build a stadium if that's the case.

I suppose the stadium could easily be built within 12 months, Borough Park could be flattened in a week

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

To be honest I would be happy to have a slow staged build around DP (move Reds in)  - loads of room so start with the river end, then the popular side etc etc - keep finances under control as well as they could build 3 stands over 10 years then redevelop the main stand..  we can dream

I think DP will be sold off to raise funds towards the new stadium cost. Personally I'm not really bothered which site will be eventually used as long as the area gets a new stadium. I thought Derwent Park was looking very tired when I was at the Haven game. 

I haven't been in the Reds ground since Town played Oldham and as much as I enjoyed being closer to the pitch the stadium isn't really fit for purpose in the modern era.

whatever type of stadium is built it'll be better than the two relics we have at present and I would be happy with anything above a 4000 capacity  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

I wasn't being critical, just a genuine interest to see if there had been any progress. I totally get that other funding pots couldn't be accessed until the main bid had been approved, and if I've understood how these government grants work, the money has to be spent by the end of 2024, so it doesn't leave much time to plan and build a stadium if that's the case.

I suppose the stadium could easily be built within 12 months, Borough Park could be flattened in a week

I'm sure I read the last time it wasn't talked about at council (minuets are online somewhere) that each club had until March to submit a business case 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

I think DP will be sold off to raise funds towards the new stadium cost. Personally I'm not really bothered which site will be eventually used as long as the area gets a new stadium. I thought Derwent Park was looking very tired when I was at the Haven game. 

I haven't been in the Reds ground since Town played Oldham and as much as I enjoyed being closer to the pitch the stadium isn't really fit for purpose in the modern era.

whatever type of stadium is built it'll be better than the two relics we have at present and I would be happy with anything above a 4000 capacity  

We have had some very good crowds for the past 3 home games and I aways think the bowl that is DP is great with a good crowd on 3 sides. Think the bigger and better pitch has made DP look great in the past 2 years.

However, we do need to move on with a new stadium but I would hate for a tiny tin sheeting box stadium with a main stand like Whitehaven have ( ok, but the length of the pitch) as its an awful stand to watch RL from. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/01/2022 at 08:57, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Has anyone heard anything in regards to how the stadium bid is progressing?

I had a look on the Reds forum and noticed they had been given a small grant from their league which sounds like things are moving in the right direction 

You seem very pro reds. 🤔 

14 hours ago, Route66 said:

Mp mark jenkinson on social media today telling the world how he has managed to get 5.5 million for the new shared stadium, must be an announcement soon as he will want to take all the credit 

The guy is a idiot Mr Bull .... Wouldn't believe out he says 

• Like 1

Is he the man who basically stopped the original stadium getting built.  From what I've heard at wrk reds have got a fair bit of coin from FA grants and town will get coin from selling derwent park  . Wouldn't believe out he says all you can see are his toenails hanging out of his dumb leaders backside 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That opportunist of an MP cost the clubs a new stadium, games at the rugby league World Cup, NHS and sellafield employees based at the stadium bringing extra spending into the town, based on scaremongering about costs which had already been proven by the paid employees in the council who's job it was to make sure nobody including the taxpayer got lumbered. Believe what he says at your own risk.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

Great news - hopefully name one of the stands after him.

ONE of the stands????

You be lucky last time we had a debate on here about doing reds ground up it was aiming at FC United's "Meccano Style" stadium with only one stand and not enough seats. Basically what reds have now but with new tin sheets and a new stand but with hardly any seats in. Just a promise to upgrade to SL standards in future?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

ONE of the stands????

You be lucky last time we had a debate on here about doing reds ground up it was aiming at FC United's "Meccano Style" stadium with only one stand and not enough seats. Basically what reds have now but with new tin sheets and a new stand but with hardly any seats in. Just a promise to upgrade to SL standards in future?

it was said at our shareholders meeting the ground would be a 5k capacity with 2k of that seated. 

• Like 1

The problem I have with a 5k capacity is that it isn't big enough for world Cup games, also if workington were to get back to the top level of RL, which is possible it wouldn't be a big enough capacity. If the stadium capacity could be increased, who would pay for this, both clubs? To me the stadium if built ( I'm very sceptical), needs to be large enough to ensure no extra building needs done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Number8 said:

The problem I have with a 5k capacity is that it isn't big enough for world Cup games, also if workington were to get back to the top level of RL, which is possible it wouldn't be a big enough capacity. If the stadium capacity could be increased, who would pay for this, both clubs? To me the stadium if built ( I'm very sceptical), needs to be large enough to ensure no extra building needs done.

Just want to see an elevated stand with seats above standing - like we have now, Leeds south stand etc - nothing worse than watching RL at ground level with about 6 rows of seats - but standing on the other 3 sides is a must.

The money saved from cheap standing areas then spent on a good club bar (money to both clubs) and a joint club shop - just want the clubs to make money from the stadium rather than just paying rent.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Number8 said:

I agree DP has almost 10k capacity as it stands [pre covid] so build the new "Meccano Style" stadium on there with a new stand same price but could keep the bigger capacity and lots more space to build in future

• Like 3