Stadium updates .......

8 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

No -

but you said " just leave the ends for now and spend the money on 1 decent main stand and a covered stand on the other side for standing only."

That is same as DP now [apart from the age etc]

Err ok Marra.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rockerlad said:

wasn't all the drilling and samples taken on the BP site when the previous plans were in place and everything was given the ok for that site? I'm sure it was but could be totally wrong. 

I seem to remember reading of some sort of ground contamination where the old grandstand / change rooms are located.

11 minutes ago, town blue said:

I seem to remember reading of some sort of ground contamination where the old grandstand / change rooms are located.

I haven't got a clue, I just remember there was samples taken when the previous project popped up. anyway its matter less that is the site that has been chosen as part of the bid and that's what's the money has been allocated for. 

17 hours ago, dkw said:

Erm, because its not suitable for a stadium doesn't mean its not suitable for anything. The groundwork needed to build foundations for a grandstand is the problem, the ground is poor until you get to a depth, that's where the huge cost comes into it.

Was that different to when they put William Low's on there? Different foundations needed?

I read somewhere the existing main stand at Derwent Park had to be built on a raft as the ground was unsuitable when it was built in the mid-50's, and since then the new sewer was built which runs adjacent to the main stand, some of you may remember that it disturbed the foundations of the old squash courts during tunnelling which resulted in the squash courts  being demolished. 

Anyway, it doesn't matter now as this is a different pot of money to the original world cup bid and its linked to the town centre regeneration and can only be used for the projects as described in the application. It was documented somewhere that these schemes have to be finished by the end of 2024 as well, so you would hope that things would move quickly once the plans have been released.

Worryingly, the cost of building materials has rocketed since the bids would have been submitted, so by that token alone I would expect to see a scaled back scheme

22 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

the new sewer was built which runs adjacent to the main stand, some of you may remember that it disturbed the foundations of the old squash courts during tunnelling which resulted in the squash courts  being demolished. 

Yes there was much upheaval when the 'new sewer' project was happening. And I can vaguely recall the Town Board claiming the river end of the Grandstand was indeed sinking, along with the squash courts and bar facility above them (which the players frequented post match....i.e. the bar, not squash courts)......And my recollection is that building inspectors (or their like)refuted any 'grandstand damage claims'  made by Town by proving all brickwork cracks were not in fact new and therefore claims were abandoned......anyone else recall this...how about you Joe Aitcheson???

3 hours ago, homeandawayer said:

Was that different to when they put William Low's on there? Different foundations needed?

No idea, I just remember from when I worked on the project for the town ground many years ago the construction costs for groundworks were going to be astronomical because of how deep they would have to dig to get to useable levels. This was the design with what looked like sails on the grandstand side.

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

No idea, I just remember from when I worked on the project for the town ground many years ago the construction costs for groundworks were going to be astronomical because of how deep they would have to dig to get to useable levels. This was the design with what looked like sails on the grandstand side.

Roughly when was that?  My memory is rubbish, cant remember that, only other plan i can vaguely remember was in 90s when a fellow called Jameson was wanting to take over and build a new ground on cloffocks - something to do with tescos - but cant remember what it was going to look like

4 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Jameson was 96 - John Walsh published an article about him last year 

https://www.cumberlandecho.com/news/town-take-over-man-bob-jamieson-back-in-the-news.html

I remember that, he was going to fill the Town end with corporate boxes and all sorts. Seems like he's just never had any money to back his big ideas up. Wasn't the that owned rangers sniffing around at one time too?

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

It's not just a stadium. I believe the plans were for a separate community use 3g pitch alongside it? Which in itself brings in more revenue and saves the reds an outlay at the same time.

I belive the reds hire out either St Benedicts or Lillyhall at £80 per hour for their community sides to play. Approx £320 a week in total? This is money that would be kept in the club.

6 minutes ago, The Voodooguru said:

I remember that, he was going to fill the Town end with corporate boxes and all sorts. Seems like he's just never had any money to back his big ideas up. Wasn't the that owned rangers sniffing around at one time too?

I think the Rangers link was nothing other than speculation as I think he owned or had a large share in 'Russells' who were Town's sponsors when Ray Ashton and Walshy were coaches. Someone set the rumour off and it stuck, and as they say 'any publicity is good publicity' 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, townie88 said:

It's not just a stadium. I believe the plans were for a separate community use 3g pitch alongside it? Which in itself brings in more revenue and saves the reds an outlay at the same time.

I belive the reds hire out either St Benedicts or Lillyhall at £80 per hour for their community sides to play. Approx £320 a week in total? This is money that would be kept in the club.

correct and have you noticed our community sides are often away at grounds like man City, Preston, Sheffield Wednesday yet those clubs never send their youth sides up here as we just don't have the facilities to host them. it's the junior premier league the compete in.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, town4me said:

A new stadium will most likely be a 5k stadium on the BP site. I'll miss DP it's going to be a different match day experience in the new place.  I'd rather stay at DP but times move on and a new stadium is progress I suppose. 

I would rather stay at DP - but i was happy to move to a 8k suitable new stadium, but we are unlikely to get that as they are aiming low at 5k minimum standards - no built in redundancy. Why no Ambition?

If we needed more, there would be no chance of it being increased.  UNLESS  it was built in with the current plans and space to add seats etc easily without any additional major structure work to make it 8k but only fitted out for 5k, then that would be different.

In the big picture if you are building a grandstand for example the cost is huge - but wouldn't be much more if you made it a yard deeper and higher to accommodate another few rows of seats or terracing.

I know that DP limit was reduced to save money on safety certs whilst we were in L1 as the crowds were low - but if [a very big IF, but not impossible] and we got in Super-league DP crowds capacity could be lifted - this would cost money - but everything costs money.

Remember The jammies got into play-offs last year so were technically only 3 or 4 wins away from SL in their first season in Championship.

REMEMBER SL could change minimum standards in next year or two and the new stadium would be out of date.So why go low??

Mainly because it is been planned around REDS, whos last 3 seasons averaged 300+, 400+ and 600+ according to  www.footballwebpages.co.uk/northern-premier-league-west-division/attendances and everybody on reds side is happy with reduced size - because a 5 k new stadium is ALMOST 10 times bigger than what they need.

2 minutes ago, townie88 said:

5k capacity is perfectly adequate and then some for where the clubs see themselves in the short and medium future. Spending the extra £££ for an extra 3k capacity that we will never use is obviously uneconomical.

Let's walk before we run. 

No ambition

What if that short and medium future is only 2/3 years - do you not want the Wigans etc bringing their fans up?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, townie88 said:

5k capacity is perfectly adequate and then some for where the clubs see themselves in the short and medium future. Spending the extra £££ for an extra 3k capacity that we will never use is obviously uneconomical.

Let's walk before we run. 

But wasn't there plans for music events for the original stadium? An 8k capacity would be better if they happened or to stage representative matches. Was the new hotel part of that plan? Moving away from a stadium hardly used is the way forward and an 8k facility would be better IMO  however as I said earlier I suspect a 5k stadium on the current BP site is most likely. A stadium that can generate as much income as possible would be great and for me that's an 8k one. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

No ambition

What if that short and medium future is only 2/3 years - do you not want the Wigans etc bringing their fans up?

It isn't though. We aren't even an established championship club yet. To think we will be anywhere near super league in 2/3 years is madness.

Who says the 5k capacity doesn't allow for further expansion when it's due? We haven't seen the plans?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, townie88 said:

It isn't though. We aren't even an established championship club yet. To think we will be anywhere near super league in 2/3 years is madness.

Who says the 5k capacity doesn't allow for further expansion when it's due? We haven't seen the plans?

We haven't seen the plans? - cop out answer - basically shut up cos you don't agree with me.

Cos we haven't. seen the plans yet - does not mean we cant have any opinion??

As I said no ambition - If you don't think we should be trying to get promoted then we should all just wind it up

Unless you are a reds supporter using a town name just to shut us up

We are talking about .planning a stadium - as i said it is cheaper and better to do it properly at the start.

If you want a 30 x 20m bungalow built it is cheaper to build a 30 x 20m building at the start than build a 20 x 10 and ask them 3 year later to come and make it 30 x 20m.