Stadium updates .......

• 3 weeks later...

I have supported both teams all my life and without doubt Borough Park has the best match experience and atmosphere - I remember a Friday night cup game against Bramley under the lights on BP that attracted around 5000 and a cup game against Wigan that attracted even more. The field of play is nearer the spectators that creates the atmosphere.

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, town blue said:

I have supported both teams all my life and without doubt Borough Park has the best match experience and atmosphere - I remember a Friday night cup game against Bramley under the lights on BP that attracted around 5000 and a cup game against Wigan that attracted even more. The field of play is nearer the spectators that creates the atmosphere.

Sorry I can’t agree with you on this, BP is fine for watching football but it is very poor for watching Rugby, I fully take your point about atmosphere, but DP is  better suited to RL.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, bobg said:

Sorry I can’t agree with you on this, BP is fine for watching football but it is very poor for watching Rugby, I fully take your point about atmosphere, but DP is  better suited to RL.

100% mate

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bobg said:

I remember that game well, the atmosphere was amazing. When I heard we were to play a few games at BP I couldn't wait to watch them. I finished up hating the whole experience, don't know why but I just did.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/04/2022 at 12:27, dkw said:

Not sure whether I will be able to go to this due to work but wondering how many will attend, was at reds game on Easter Monday and was told that these next months are critical for the project but both clubs are 100 % behind the idea, a bit of praise for the reds crowd though 1300 or so and a lot of young kids and groups of teenagers at what was a pretty poor standard of football 

• Like 1

Out of curiosity did anyone manage to make the forum tonight? I read that Dave Bowden has stepped aside from.his role at reds to lead the project. Work got in the way of me making it down. 

Any interesting updates we don't already know about? Budget? Timescales etc?

6 minutes ago, Nero said:

Very good presentation. The people on board are experienced in fundraising building stadia etc. I’m feeling optimistic we’re getting a new stadium! 

Me to Nero, excellent presentation like you say and the people involved seem very knowledgeable to take the project forward.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, town4me said:

Is it a new main stand at BP for town and reds to share or more???

Briefly looking at the sketches, (no drawings yet) it looks like a new stadium 90 deg to the current pitch with a community/training pitch on the Lonsdale Park area inline with the stadium. Money has been released from the grant to enable detailed design to take place. They are having a website produced to inform everyone of the progress. The quality of the people recruited already to drive & support the project are of a very high standard with a proven track record. Funding is in place for almost 2/3 of the entire project with £3.5m still required to complete the first 3 phases. If successful it will be debt free & self sustaining. Dave Bowden declared a ###### free zone at the start of the presentation & I believe, despite the many challenges to come we’ll end up with a facility we will all be proud of. The Cumberland Sports Village, a true community project & politics free zone!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Worth going and all the speakers were very credible. If they pull off their plans we will have a decent functional stadium both clubs can use to take them forward. The best bit is that it will be jointly owned by the clubs with no debt attached. 

The 5.4m from the town fund is time bound and has to be spent or it will be lost. So the plan is to build the footprint of a new stadium and training pitch. With one main stand and possibly one opposite ( although this wasn't definite) Then using funding hopefully from the FA and big business the initial figure will be matched to deliver a complete 4 sided modular stadium and training facility.  

For me the positives are that they are using experts in their field to make up or advise the initial Cumberland Sports Village Ltd company to deliver the project. Not borrowing money to deliver it and It seems achievable. 

Negatives are to me (and this is just my opinion) it all seems a bit too fingers crossed and hope its affordable at this stage. Nothing more than a sketch and some aspirations of what may be achievable.  Maybe through my own ignorance I expected it to be further down the line. Given the changeover from Allerdale to Cumberland is happening there seems to be a lot of uncertainty over the commitment of what may happen. Also it's a possibility we may end up with an underwhelming one sided stadium that's half finished. 

Thought some of the reds fans believe they are just rebuilding the stands on Borough Park with one even wanting to keep the terracing, another was worried the current pitch isn't long enough. 

I think the devil will be in the detail. I doubt it will be as good as I wished but hopefully better than I feared.

• Like 2

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

Great presentation by some passionate and clever people who all spoke well. I know Dave told everyone to take no notice of the proposed stadium drawings but I couldn't weigh up which way the pitch will be facing. It showed the main stadium end back to back with the end of the training pitch which I assume is on Lonsdale Park. Are they proposing turning it round 90 degrees ? Just hoping this goes ahead this time, both clubs need it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Unicorn 106 said:

Great presentation by some passionate and clever people who all spoke well. 

I think this is what makes me pretty optimistic about the whole thing, as far as I can tell the people involved are all in it to get the best stadium possible for the clubs and town, and have no other vested interest, either political or financial. 

• Like 3

Did they give any indication at the meeting as to how much the new stadium will cost?

I was looking at Boston United new ground, the Jakemans Community Stadium which opened around 2020 and looks a cracking little ground, which is basically one very well equipped main grandstand and covered terracing and that cost £12 million !!

I think it has a 6,000 capacity 

There's a video showing how the work is progressing, can't help but think something along these lines would be ideal. I think the end that is still to be completed is a sports hall

https://www.bostonunited.co.uk/news/video--community-stadium-latest-2589592.html

10 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Did they give any indication at the meeting as to how much the new stadium will cost?

I was looking at Boston United new ground, the Jakemans Community Stadium which opened around 2020 and looks a cracking little ground, which is basically one very well equipped main grandstand and covered terracing and that cost £12 million !!

I think it has a 6,000 capacity 

There's a video showing how the work is progressing, can't help but think something along these lines would be ideal. I think the end that is still to be completed is a sports hall

https://www.bostonunited.co.uk/news/video--community-stadium-latest-2589592.html

We are looking at less than that for both the training pitch and the stadium, so I suppose it gives an idea of the standard of facility it will be.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

3 minutes ago, The Voodooguru said:

We are looking at less than that for both the training pitch and the stadium, so I suppose it gives an idea of the standard of facility it will be.

Its £10m for a very similar stadium to that Boston one, with slightly less capacity, though I don't think that's actually been set in stone yet so could also be something like 6000.

1 hour ago, dkw said:

Its £10m for a very similar stadium to that Boston one, with slightly less capacity, though I don't think that's actually been set in stone yet so could also be something like 6000.

Both Town & Reds fans have got to be happy getting a ground similar to Bostons surely.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1