Techno music on Sky's coverage - a campaign

Watched some old 1990s games recently 

Extradinarily the techno music for try replays seems to be the same now as it was then 

Can we agree it sounds dated and needs to change? We managed to phase out curtain haircuts, boot cut jeans and The Spice Girls....surely techno needs the boot too

Something similar to Fox's NRL try music is my preference.....

Who's with me ? Give your support on this thread....who knows SKY production staff may well read these forums 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The “ahhh…ahhh…aye” music from tries in the 90’s was iconic. The rubbish we have put up with in the last ten years is a joke, in all honesty. I cannot wait for the metal men to be in the bin with Carney’s margin meter and referees having cameras on their head. 

4 minutes ago, Jughead said:

The “ahhh…ahhh…aye” music from tries in the 90’s was iconic. The rubbish we have put up with in the last ten years is a joke, in all honesty. I cannot wait for the metal men to be in the bin with Carney’s margin meter and referees having cameras on their head. 

The metal men were dropped three years ago.

11 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

As good a tune it is, it is being used for third decade now so it is time it was dropped. Do replays really need music anyway?

Try music works very well Fox league

https://m.facebook.com/foxnrl/videos/hands-like-houses-bring-us-the-fox-league-theme-song-in-2021-/279323940453424/

1 minute ago, Gav Wilson said:

Go on then, lets see you do any better.

That bright and bold brand guidelines that Super League brought in last year are fantastic, IMO.

Channel 4 have knocked up an advert in one year that’s clear of anything Sky have done in years. The Brownlee brothers and Jonny Vegas, come on?! It’s not rocket science as proven by 4. Use players and be relevant and engaging. It’s not hard but Sky either don’t grasp that, which is hard to believe as they’re pretty good at other sports, or simply, don’t care and settle for anything.

The guidelines look like wasted effort and are as eye catching as a power cut. 

spacer.png

The away teams names are far bigger than the home side, comedic poorness. If I didn’t know, I’d wonder if Rugby League had taken the Americanism of “Giants @ Seahawks” from the NFL and those in larger font were the home side. There’s a complete lack of identity. Who are these clubs? Some generic navy typeface with a mishmash of text sizes and a lack of brand identity, something Elstone pushed for so long, is shocking, especially when this is as far as brand identity goes for most of these clubs.

The graphics they used for fixture releases was shocking, too. 

spacer.png

The videos and social media output from Super League is just Sky content. They have none of their own and their engagement possibilities compared with actual activities are huge. 

1 hour ago, Gav Wilson said:

'Carpe Diem' by Edrenalin is an absolute banger and I won't hear otherwise.

If you were mashed on a 90s night out you’d love it tbf, however I appreciate that doesn’t make it suitable 2022 try scoring music. 

1 hour ago, Liverpool Rover said:

As good a tune it is, it is being used for third decade now so it is time it was dropped. Do replays really need music anyway?

Good point, in football I’d say no but in RL I don’t mind it, especially when there is a small crowd rattling around in a largish ground. 

It's a good tune and many people who aren't hardcore RL fans associate it with the Super League coverage (I've heard it played played and identified as the Super League music on Radio 5 shows like Fighting Talk).

Change it if there is something better, but dont change it if there's no need. I'm not aware of any campaign to change the music for Wimbledon, Match of the Day or Ski Sunday - at some point they become iconic and if you change it you lose that.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

'Carpe Diem' by Edrenalin is an absolute banger and I won't hear otherwise.

Agreed. They should bring it back as the intro tune too!

I don't like how they changed to a different section of the song a while ago though. The middle section was perfect for try music as it built up at the end for the long replays and made it feel awesome (see "Wide to West!")

They also need to bring back the highlights montage at the end with the last section of the song! The drama!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

11 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

It's a good tune and many people who aren't hardcore RL fans associate it with the Super League coverage (I've heard it played played and identified as the Super League music on Radio 5 shows like Fighting Talk).

Change it if there is something better, but dont change it if there's no need. I'm not aware of any campaign to change the music for Wimbledon, Match of the Day or Ski Sunday - at some point they become iconic and if you change it you lose that.

I agree. We've talked about lack of brand identity for years, then we have people wanting to change something that is instantly relatable to those that have heard it.

I think they should remake it Carnival de Paris style for the World Cup using different nations' traditional instruments! Would be a great WC anthem!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

46 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Agreed. They should bring it back as the intro tune too!

I don't like how they changed to a different section of the song a while ago though. The middle section was perfect for try music as it built up at the end for the long replays and made it feel awesome (see "Wide to West!")

They also need to bring back the highlights montage at the end with the last section of the song! The drama!

Agree 100%. The old version was much better 

Archived