Crowd Participation

I’m watching a reply of the Kokkinakis/Kyrgios quarter final and the overly young crowd are offering very boisterous and sometimes hostile support behind the Aussie pair. 

The Australian crowds at this year’s Open have had their fair share of criticism, but what can’t be denied is that the young crowd very much enjoy the hostile environment.

With footy attendances both ageing and stagnant for a very long time now, is the current homogeneous environment that the NRL push actually detracting from what the younger audience want when they are participating at a footy game?

I'm all for crowd participation but not boorish behaviour.

We want to have families at the game. People bring their children and girlfriends and wives and mothers. That type of support is more solid than flavour of the month bandwagoners.

What can be done is supporting active support and make some good use of that energy.

• Like 2

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

7 hours ago, DlEHARD said:

I'm all for crowd participation but not boorish behaviour.

We want to have families at the game. People bring their children and girlfriends and wives and mothers. That type of support is more solid than flavour of the month bandwagoners.

What can be done is supporting active support and make some good use of that energy.

I hear you loud and clear. Throwing beers at players like in the old days at SOO is not what I am aiming for.

I think the NRL and the clubs are being reactive to a buzz culture around what “inclusiveness” is. Nothing says that more than the Falou saga. I believe this deters supporters from collectively participating and diminishes the atmosphere that the late teens and young adults actually crave.