Funding at Feathsertone - self sustainable club punching above their weight

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done Fev, and as a Leigh fan I wish them all the best this season.

SL just needs the 12 best sides, whether they are on different planets or in the same square mile, who cares.

SL would have killed Fev if they got promoted. They didn't,  they have consolidated and now look at the go. It might now be time ?

Pity the Leigh game is on a Monday Night because we would have taken a good few and packed out PO Rd. Hoping for a great season and looking forward to this incredible Juggernaut called Toulouse to packing out their Stadium and reaching the top 4 of SL !😉

24 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Outrageously there is no limit in the Championship, there is only a limit in super league 

I will confess we were shocked to find that out so 4 more on the way I was told tonight  - you cant get British lads of quality unless on DR, we should try that as well imo

1 hour ago, Snowys Backside said:

SL just needs the 12 best sides, whether they are on different planets or in the same square mile, who cares.

SL would have killed Fev if they got promoted. They didn't,  they have consolidated and now look at the go. It might now be time ?

Pity the Leigh game is on a Monday Night because we would have taken a good few and packed out PO Rd. Hoping for a great season and looking forward to this incredible Juggernaut called Toulouse to packing out their Stadium and reaching the top 4 of SL !😉

Leigh have got plenty of games to sell out their rent a stadium. I look forward to seeing the sold out signs going up for the Leigh home games.
Has Beaumont ever thought of playing a league match as a curtain raiser before a United ladies game to get more fans through the gate 🙂.

3 hours ago, Josef K said:

Leigh have got plenty of games to sell out their rent a stadium. I look forward to seeing the sold out signs going up for the Leigh home games.
Has Beaumont ever thought of playing a league match as a curtain raiser before a United ladies game to get more fans through the gate 🙂.

I cant remember the last time I saw Saints sell out either ?  God help them if they start losing, they might drive down the East Lancs to watch United Ladies !! 

9 hours ago, dkw said:

Get used to it if Fev top the league for any time, the Leigh mafia on here will not like it.

the leigh mafia would be fine with fev going up as long as it costs an entitled smug super league side who create rules so they can stay in super league goes down.

On 26/01/2022 at 21:25, Whippet13 said:

The title of this thread sums up the key problem Featherstone face, they really are punching above their weight with a 15k core population. The club is clearly brilliantly run but as those who went before them have demonstrated will need an exponential increase in player expenditure to survive in SL and I don't see how that potential exists.

I suspect Leigh will win the championship in any case.

Actually I don't think 'punching above their weight' was the best choice of words and is actually unfair of me. What we have is a club run by savvy and forward thinking people and supported by a passionate base of supporters where the club is the heartbeat of the community. They are actually setting an example to ALL clubs in the rugby league and showing them what can be achieved. And we have yet to reach our potential or actually punch TO our weight. We have grown and improved every year since Campbell and have done it largely on a sustainable , self funding model. 

Also reading through this thread it's clear many people don't realise the massive advantage owning your own ground is. All of the income streams mentioned plus making money from the ground (and saving money from it by not  having to pay rent) is massive. 

Wish th rugby league world would celebrate these innovators and look for ways to strengthen and grow in the same way we have. 

10 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

A positive post! Good to see! I too am annoyed about Monday night. Lots of kids won't go at that time and can't see Leight being able to get that many over the M62 Monday evening either. How many do you think you will be able to take? 400 to 500? How many coaches are you taking?

22 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

So how much are Fev and other Championship clubs getting in central funding from the sky tv deal? 

The game caller has stated Fev’s wage bill is over £1M on players, clubs have other running costs as well as players wages, so for total costs you can probably double that figure. Season ticket sales will probably bring in revenue to only cover something like 10%-15% of these costs, that looks a big shortfall to me.

Just a thought Sir K why do't you ask the font of all your knowledge the game caller for the last couple of years he's complained  that by finishing  higher up the league FEV get more central funding than his beloved Bulls so  like FEV's spending he claims to have  all the numbers

I haven't seen any comments on here by this so called "Leigh Mafia" about not wanting Featherstone to get to SL. Featherstone are a great example of how to run a Rugby League club.

Most Leigh fans would be happy for them including myself, just as im happy for Toulouse and just like i was happy for Toronto.

Anything to upset the top table where most clubs do absolutely nothing to push the boundaries of the game and just sit there year after year investing nothing and taking 1.7 million from the teat of the RFL. Featherstone and Leigh are investing 

However that wouldn't fit with the narrative of the like of Davo, Dallas Mead & DKW who spout the same bile about Leigh every day trying to get a reaction just because they dislike Derek So much, you can see it a mile off.

Rugby League is walking into a commercial disaster at the end of this year, SKY warned the sport, we have done absolutely nothing to change the product or give Sky anything different.

Wigan, the games most famous team cant even sign a big name anymore, they cant afford it, but don't worry Davo is on it we will be reet.

4 minutes ago, binosh said:

I haven't seen any comments on here by this so called "Leigh Mafia" about not wanting Featherstone to get to SL. Featherstone are a great example of how to run a Rugby League club.

Most Leigh fans would be happy for them including myself, just as im happy for Toulouse and just like i was happy for Toronto.

Anything to upset the top table where most clubs do absolutely nothing to push the boundaries of the game and just sit there year after year investing nothing and taking 1.7 million from the teat of the RFL. Featherstone and Leigh are investing 

However that wouldn't fit with the narrative of the like of Davo, Dallas Mead & DKW who spout the same bile about Leigh every day trying to get a reaction just because they dislike Derek So much, you can see it a mile off.

Rugby League is walking into a commercial disaster at the end of this year, SKY warned the sport, we have done absolutely nothing to change the product or give Sky anything different.

Wigan, the games most famous team cant even sign a big name anymore, they cant afford it, but don't worry Davo is on it we will be reet.

Did you notice Wiggin have gone back to the original Leigh kit we lent them when they reformed, the narrower hoops.

13 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

I will confess we were shocked to find that out so 4 more on the way I was told tonight  - you cant get British lads of quality unless on DR, we should try that as well imo

Unfortunatley, or fortunatley depending how it turns out, because of poor planning and a belief they would still be in Sl this year, Leigh have been left with no choice but to look overseas and try to pick up second rate aussies who are willing to come over here and play. The good thing for them though, even though they will be more expensive then lads already playing over here 2nd rate Aussies are more than good enough in most cases to hold their own in the Championship.

1 hour ago, POR said:

Just a thought Sir K why do't you ask the font of all your knowledge the game caller for the last couple of years he's complained  that by finishing  higher up the league FEV get more central funding than his beloved Bulls so  like FEV's spending he claims to have  all the numbers

I could do, but you claimed the £180k central funding figure (or whatever is was something similar to that) to be incorrect. If that’s the case why don’t you provide us with the correct figure? 

10 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Unfortunatley, or fortunatley depending how it turns out, because of poor planning and a belief they would still be in Sl this year, Leigh have been left with no choice but to look overseas and try to pick up second rate aussies who are willing to come over here and play. The good thing for them though, even though they will be more expensive then lads already playing over here 2nd rate Aussies are more than good enough in most cases to hold their own in the Championship.

The problem Leigh will find is they’re going to have to release a load of their overseas players if they are promoted to Super League, as they will have too many. Why on earth the Championship does not have the same overseas player quota as Super League is beyond me.

14 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Looking forward to the self-promoting Leigh juggernaut packing out their stadium,gaining promotion on the field,then reaching beyond the bottom 4 of Super League. 

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

39 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I could do, but you claimed the £180k central funding figure (or whatever is was something similar to that) to be incorrect. If that’s the case why don’t you provide us with the correct figure? 

Because I'M just a fan  unlike the game caller I don't claim to know the fiigures involved but the reference to the 180k deficit is from a press conference which can can be found on FEV's facebook page 

29 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

So you don’t know what Featherstone are getting in central funding, you only know that it’s not £180k

NO Sir K I was just letting you know THE 180 k THAT you thought was FEV'S central funding was actually  a reduction  but i think the GC mentioned 800k for FEV tuther year so minus 180 is 620k  but I know and I don't really care club says were sustainable and still have money in the bank

9 minutes ago, POR said:

NO Sir K I was just letting you know THE 180 k THAT you thought was FEV'S central funding was actually  a reduction  but i think the GC mentioned 800k for FEV tuther year so minus 180 is 620k  but I know and I don't really care club says were sustainable and still have money in the bank

9 minutes ago, POR said:

Think Fev get £176k Total - new TV deal dont forget otherwise Leigh would have got £1.3m not £580k

Archived