Oldham v Lock Lane

clifford

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Oldham 1 said:

First off all credit to Lock Lane totally deserved the win great attitude and playing for each other , as for us our attitude seems dreadful never looked interested in the simple hard work that's required in a game like this , no structure in attack all game and we don't look anything like fit which is inexcusable , the drop from brierley over the line  sums up all his time with us so far as in useless , we need to sort ourselves out fast cos that tonight won't get past mid table league 1 

I agree with a lot of that- but there was a lot of hard work- just completely misdirected. 80 minutes banging your head against a wall doesn’t win a rugby league match. There has to be some intelligence, a plan, some moves. There appeared none. Very very poor.

Just now, Pigeon Lofter said:

Losing possession so often in those atrocious conditions would be forgivable---if the opposition were spilling the ball too. Fact is, they didn't and Oldham lost to the better side. 

I like the Oldham shirt design though. 

The shirt was better than the team tonight mate. That was shocking. Lock Lane were great tonight,a great advert for the amateur game.

As a matter of interest, when was the last time that we lost to an amateur side, in the challenge cup ? ?

Just now, tandle said:

we never have until to night in our super duper stadium lights permitting.

Would we have won if the lights hadn't gone out. We lost to the better side tonight. Congratulations to them,I hope they enjoy tonight. Words are failing me at the moment.

Admittedly it wasn’t a night to be throwing it about, the problem is we don’t throw it about in good conditions. The team apart from the players names are playing no differently than they have for the last 5 or 6 seasons, I mean Ridyards performance was a shadow of what he produced for Swinton. There’s a lot of work to be done before the season kicks in properly. 

15 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

As I said,what have I let myself for?

A rollercoaster of emotions for a bargain price?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

A frustrating game to watch.

Lock lane are a very good side and were very well organised, I thought they got their tactics spot on.

Oldham tried hard, run well but it wasn't enough to turn over a top Amateur team.

Oldham lost the ball too often, got lazy off the ball a few times which led to two of their trys (the first try nobody helped the full back) but the most frustrating point for me was the post contact metres for Lock lane. They won the contact and often got extra metres, and won the rucks. They didn't do anything special just well drilled and determined.

Oldham were not bad, just looked like a new team with conflicting ideas on what was needed. Caught between different ideas, extra passes that weren't expected for example. Lock lane also played an intelligent game, they slowed the pace when they needed to and upped the tempo when in opponents half with the ball, this caught Oldham on the back foot. Good use of tempo change by Lock lane, something Oldham didn't manage. 

Much of this can be fixed, they need time playing, more work on their defence and stick together. Their understanding will get better, they need to use this as a motivation to drive their season forward. Losing as a team will make winning as a team sweeter, this can bring them closer if they don't finger point and blame each other.

Just now, clifford said:

The best side won tonight. They played the conditions and made fewer mistakes.

Lock Lane looked like the pros

Spot on mate. I was watching on our league. My wife said if I'd have had a swear jar she'd have been paying the mortgage off.😂

2 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

Spot on mate. I was watching on our league. My wife said if I'd have had a swear jar she'd have been paying the mortgage off.😂

I've warmed up now and all I can say is well done Lock Lane you were by far the better side and let's hope you  get a decent draw in the next round.

Ridyard is a quality playe,r and it showed in glimpses, but he needs a decent pack in front of him - sadly on this performance he hasn't got one.

The disallowed Brierley try was right in front of us, I don't think he dropped it it looked more like he grounded it in the football area and not in the rugby in goal area.

Just now, moorside roughyed said:

So frustrating.😡

Not a good night to be a Oldham supporter, but a good night for Cas lock lane and advertising the NCL, 

1 minute ago, JMB said:

Not a good night to be a Oldham supporter, but a good night for Cas lock lane and advertising the NCL, 

Absolutely,I also support Saddleworth rangers so my respect for the amateur game is strong. Lock Lane were superb. They should enjoy their victory. A great advert for the amateur game.

Archived