Oldham v Lock Lane

clifford

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, JMB said:

Sorry couldn't resist that, 

The exact same thing happened a couple of weeks ago against Wakefield in a friendly. No one put money in the meter apparently. Seriously you'd have thought they'd have plumbed for an afternoon fixture instead of it being embarrassing.

38 minutes ago, ArthurO said:

As a matter of interest, when was the last time that we lost to an amateur side, in the challenge cup ? ?

·       this was put up recently on a thread, 

22 January, 1995

·        Challenge Cup Round 3

·        Highfield 4-27 Beverley

·        January 14, 1996

·        Chorley 12-27 Thatto Heath Crusaders

·        Highfield 20-35 West Hull

·        January 26, 1996

·        Challenge Cup Round 4

·        West Hull 10-6 York

·        January 26, 1997

·        Challenge Cup Round 3:

·        York 14-21 Bradford Dudley Hill

·        February 1, 1998

·        Bramley 10-16 Ellenborough

·        Doncaster 18-23 Featherstone Lions

·        February 13, 1998

·        Egremont 18-0 Workington Town

·        February 14, 1998

·        Ellenborough 14-12 Hunslet

·        January 31, 1999

·        Bramley 12-18 Leigh Miners Rangers

·        January 30, 2000

·        Batley Bulldogs 0-10 Oldham St Annes

·        Sheffield Eagles 14-16 Thornhill Trojans

·        January 28, 2001

·        Chorley 8-22 Woolston Rovers

·        January 24, 2003

·        Wath Brow 13-12 Workington

·        January 26, 2003

·        Halton Simms Cross 15-8 London Skolars

·        February 6, 2004

·        Sharlston 30-28 Dewsbury 28

·        February 8, 2004

·        Bradford Dudley Hill 16-16 Keighley Cougars

·        Swinton Lions 14-26 East Hull

·        March 12, 2005

·        Wath Brow Hornets 32-30 Dewsbury

·        March 11, 2006

·        Thornhill Trojans 16-12 Workington Town

·        March 8, 2009

·        Wath Brow Hornets 14-12 London Skolars

·        March 6, 2010

·        Doncaster 0-26 Siddal

·        March 21, 2015

·        Leigh Miners Rangers 32-6 Oxford

·        February 27, 2016

·        Featherstone Lions 37-20 South Wales

·        Kells 12-6 Hemel

·        Pilkington Recs 13-0 London Skolars

·        Siddal 30-4 Newcastle Thunder

·        February 28, 2016

·        Oxford 22-37 Lock Lane 37

·        March 30, 2019

·        Thatto Heath Crusaders 16-14 North Wales

·        February 9, 2020

·        West Wales Raiders 8-30 Underbank Rangers

1 minute ago, JMB said:

·       this was put up recently on a thread, 

22 January, 1995

·        Highfield 4-27 Beverley

·        Chorley 12-27 Thatto Heath Crusaders

·        Highfield 20-35 West Hull

·        January 26, 1996

·        West Hull 10-6 York

·        January 26, 1997

·        Challenge Cup Round 3:

·        York 14-21 Bradford Dudley Hill

·        Bramley 10-16 Ellenborough

·        Doncaster 18-23 Featherstone Lions

·        February 13, 1998

·        Egremont 18-0 Workington Town

·        February 14, 1998

·        Ellenborough 14-12 Hunslet

·        January 31, 1999

·        Bramley 12-18 Leigh Miners Rangers

·        Batley Bulldogs 0-10 Oldham St Annes

·        Sheffield Eagles 14-16 Thornhill Trojans

·        January 28, 2001

·        Chorley 8-22 Woolston Rovers

·        January 24, 2003

·        Wath Brow 13-12 Workington

·        January 26, 2003

·        Halton Simms Cross 15-8 London Skolars

·        February 6, 2004

·        Sharlston 30-28 Dewsbury 28

·        Bradford Dudley Hill 16-16 Keighley Cougars

·        Swinton Lions 14-26 East Hull

·        March 12, 2005

·        Wath Brow Hornets 32-30 Dewsbury

·        March 11, 2006

·        Thornhill Trojans 16-12 Workington Town

·        March 8, 2009

·        Wath Brow Hornets 14-12 London Skolars

·        March 6, 2010

·        Doncaster 0-26 Siddal

·        March 21, 2015

·        Leigh Miners Rangers 32-6 Oxford

·        Featherstone Lions 37-20 South Wales

·        Kells 12-6 Hemel

·        Pilkington Recs 13-0 London Skolars

·        Siddal 30-4 Newcastle Thunder

·        February 28, 2016

·        Oxford 22-37 Lock Lane 37

·        March 30, 2019

·        Thatto Heath Crusaders 16-14 North Wales

·        February 9, 2020

·        West Wales Raiders 8-30 Underbank Rangers

Someone loves their stats don't they?😀

1 minute ago, moorside roughyed said:

Someone loves their stats don't they?😀

Sorry missed this bit off, 

There have been a total of 30 occasions where community [amateur] clubs have inflicted a Challenge Cup defeat on semi-professional opposition since the 1993/94 season, the first Cup campaign where the early rounds of the competition were made up of entirely of amateur clubs.

Beverley became the first amateur side to defeat a semi-professional opponent in the Challenge Cup for 86 years when they triumphed 27-4 at Highfield in 1995.

Beverley themselves were the last club to achieve the feat prior to that fixture, when they defeated Ebbw Vale 7-2 at home in 1909.

Round 3 of the Challenge Cup in 2016 proved to be a memorable weekend for amateur clubs in the competition, with five sides progressing. Featherstone Lions, Kells, Pilkington Recs, Siddal and Lock Lane all made it through against League 1 opposition.

The following round saw Lock Lane make it through to Round 5 after defeating local rivals Featherstone Lions, whilst Pilkington Recs (v Halifax), Kells (v Oldham) and Siddal (v Rochdale) all bowed out.

Lock Lane's Challenge Cup adventure then ended with an 80-4 Round 5 defeat at Halifax on 17 April.

2 minutes ago, JMB said:

Sorry missed this bit off, 

There have been a total of 30 occasions where community [amateur] clubs have inflicted a Challenge Cup defeat on semi-professional opposition since the 1993/94 season, the first Cup campaign where the early rounds of the competition were made up of entirely of amateur clubs.

Beverley became the first amateur side to defeat a semi-professional opponent in the Challenge Cup for 86 years when they triumphed 27-4 at Highfield in 1995.

Beverley themselves were the last club to achieve the feat prior to that fixture, when they defeated Ebbw Vale 7-2 at home in 1909.

Round 3 of the Challenge Cup in 2016 proved to be a memorable weekend for amateur clubs in the competition, with five sides progressing. Featherstone Lions, Kells, Pilkington Recs, Siddal and Lock Lane all made it through against League 1 opposition.

The following round saw Lock Lane make it through to Round 5 after defeating local rivals Featherstone Lions, whilst Pilkington Recs (v Halifax), Kells (v Oldham) and Siddal (v Rochdale) all bowed out.

Lock Lane's Challenge Cup adventure then ended with an 80-4 Round 5 defeat at Halifax on 17 April.

Come on give it a rest.😅

The thing is, taking into account the rub of the green, weather, stupid handling, lack of game time etc. I think we lost it in our heads. The bickering, sniping and blame game. The on field leaders have to get a grip. Unlike tandle I know it's not the end, fact! Respecting possession is the number one skill we need to practice. The coaching staff must now show their true mettle and turn this set back on its head and build a stronger mental attitude.

Well done Lock Lane, they certainly deserved it.

Although embarrassing, I don’t think it’s quite time to be breaking out the razor blades or contemplating joining the NCL.

Ridyard showed glimpses and Hewitt took his try well. If Brierley grounds the ball properly it could have been a different story. However, we didn’t adapt to the conditions well enough and coughed the ball up far too often. The right side defence needs tightening up desperately before the start of the season.

I imagine there was a few home truths flying around the sheds at full time, I’ve no doubt it’ll be better come the start of the season though.

16 minutes ago, tandle said:

for this pathetic display of a so called rugby league team called oldham i must have been misled i thought you and ch were in charge of the club.

No offence, my friend, We're all disappointed and more-because we love our club. And as with most clubs in any sport there are things the fans and likely the owners/people involved would like to improve. I've had years of traveling from Middlesbrough to watch the Roughyeds, followed by years of travelling from Shrewsbury. There are times I've been fuming but there are times I've been elated, because I'm sure as with you the club is part of my life, my roots and my hopes. I couldn't even dream of supporting anyone else. But I honestly think that though letting off steam is one thing - I do that as much as anyone else - destructive and possibly personal criticism is not going to help. It will only demoralise, destabilise and work against the club and the team. I know that you love Oldham rugby and you have a very long and significant history with the club, but we have to stick together, fight together and support together. With warmest regards to all Roughyeds' fans after a difficult day at the office (which as seen in above posts, is not unique to Oldham).

12 hours ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

A frustrating game to watch.

Lock lane are a very good side and were very well organised, I thought they got their tactics spot on.

Oldham tried hard, run well but it wasn't enough to turn over a top Amateur team.

Oldham lost the ball too often, got lazy off the ball a few times which led to two of their trys (the first try nobody helped the full back) but the most frustrating point for me was the post contact metres for Lock lane. They won the contact and often got extra metres, and won the rucks. They didn't do anything special just well drilled and determined.

Oldham were not bad, just looked like a new team with conflicting ideas on what was needed. Caught between different ideas, extra passes that weren't expected for example. Lock lane also played an intelligent game, they slowed the pace when they needed to and upped the tempo when in opponents half with the ball, this caught Oldham on the back foot. Good use of tempo change by Lock lane, something Oldham didn't manage. 

Much of this can be fixed, they need time playing, more work on their defence and stick together. Their understanding will get better, they need to use this as a motivation to drive their season forward. Losing as a team will make winning as a team sweeter, this can bring them closer if they don't finger point and blame each other.

9 minutes ago, shrewsbury roughyed said:

No offence, my friend, We're all disappointed and more-because we love our club. And as with most clubs in any sport there are things the fans and likely the owners/people involved would like to improve. I've had years of traveling from Middlesbrough to watch the Roughyeds, followed by years of travelling from Shrewsbury. There are times I've been fuming but there are times I've been elated, because I'm sure as with you the club is part of my life, my roots and my hopes. I couldn't even dream of supporting anyone else. But I honestly think that though letting off steam is one thing - I do that as much as anyone else - destructive and possibly personal criticism is not going to help. It will only demoralise, destabilise and work against the club and the team. I know that you love Oldham rugby and you have a very long and significant history with the club, but we have to stick together, fight together and support together. With warmest regards to all Roughyeds' fans after a difficult day at the office (which as seen in above posts, is not unique to Oldham).

Agreed, which was my final point in my post about the game, this can make is stronger, hard to take now but part of the journey with a new team 

Horrendous performance. We've all see amateur teams pull off shock victories with a backs against the wall performance but I don't know if I've ever seen one where they dominate a supposedly semi pro team. 

Thought Andrade was the only one who could hold his head up high and ran as hard as he could every carry. Nelmes and Spencer were appalling in the front row and were absolutely dominated by their middles. Lots of work for Littler to do over the next two months to get ready for the league season as we look miles away from being competitive

12 minutes ago, m brooksy said:

Horrendous performance. We've all see amateur teams pull off shock victories with a backs against the wall performance but I don't know if I've ever seen one where they dominate a supposedly semi pro team. 

Thought Andrade was the only one who could hold his head up high and ran as hard as he could every carry. Nelmes and Spencer were appalling in the front row and were absolutely dominated by their middles. Lots of work for Littler to do over the next two months to get ready for the league season as we look miles away from being competitive

thank you brooksy you seem to be a man who tells the truth, and does not ware rose tinted glasses.

The floodlight issue is a serious one for a few reasons that I can think of. You just cannot have a "collision" sport that on two occasions is plunged into utter darkness...For every light in the ground went out.

Thats a Player Safety issue and a major one.

Theres fan safety to consider also as there were areas of soaked mud on whitebank road side, Try negotiating them in Darkness.

Also at 16 12 down Oldham were on a good attack when the light stopped for the third time and the ref and linesman did they leave the field? Im not sure what went on, would the ref be concerned re the second light fail during play, but Oldham lost all momentum 

Maybe less serious in the grand scheme of things but honestly I was embarrassed, acutely so by this shambles having been also at the Wakefield Friendly when the lights went out twice thankfully not in open play.

As for the game Oldham did try hard but Lock Lane Had a plan, well executed with the kicks they protected the ball far better in the conditions and out enthused Oldham on the night...The conditions were awful The centre line where I love to view the game was exposed to the rain and cold that was incessant, Ive never been so wet at a game. As has been said Oldham will improve and once again for Me Restall was pretty good under those steepling kicks,Its no shame to be beaten by Lock Lane the second game into the latest era of ORLFC but I insist on an explanation of the current Situation regarding the Lights from Mr Hamilton before he gets another £12 quid off me.

Laughing Stock Chris!

Archived