Sat 29-Sun 30 Jan: Pre-Season Friendlies Match Thread

Discuss this weekend's pre-season games here.

Saturday 29th January
Catalans Dragons v Toulouse Olympique    15:00
Warrington Wolves v Wigan Warriors    17.30 (Stefan Ratchford Testimonial)

Sunday 30th January
Hull KR v Huddersfield Giants    15:00
Leeds Rhinos v Hull FC    15:00 (Tom Briscoe Testimonial)

Having Mourgue out for maybe two months with an ankle injury is tough. Still good to see  half back teenager Rouge featuring Saturday against TO. Bousquet and skipper Garcia give it a miss but both are I think OK for St Helens.

Interesting that 20 Dragons players have over the years played for Toulouse Olympique

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Leeds name 1 to 17 squad numbers for the Tom Briscoe testimonial (which doesn't include Briscoe himself who is 20). Don't think I've seen a full strength first choice side available in a long, long time.

FKLusvbXMAMNFT3?format=jpg&name=large

The TO13 website suggests that Gigot will be at full-back with Paulo and Albert as the halves.  We shall see!

3 hours ago, Jughead said:

Hankinson and Albert started in the halves. No Paulo, Cunningham or Marion today either. 

26-10 Catalans. 

No paolo , cunningham, Marcon, shaumkel, springer, pezet, vaivai, but 5 yung players from the reserve team . 

A really pleasing 14-6 win for Wigan in Steff Ratchfords testimonial. The first half in particular was really impressive with Wigan 10-0 up at the break and that should’ve been more. 

We were so short around the middle last season but Ellis and in particular Patrick Mago look very good signings on limited evidence so far. 

1 hour ago, PECETTO said:

No paolo , cunningham, Marcon, shaumkel, springer, pezet, vaivai, but 5 yung players from the reserve team . 

Sounds like a very encouraging result when you look at the strength of the Catalan side, 10-6 at half time would inspire plenty of confidence within the squad you'd think.

4 hours ago, PECETTO said:

Paulo not playing….i think the loss would’ve been heavier if he’d have been involved. He was dreadful at Saints and i was amazed they managed to offload him. 

22 hours ago, M j M said:

Leeds name 1 to 17 squad numbers for the Tom Briscoe testimonial (which doesn't include Briscoe himself who is 20). Don't think I've seen a full strength first choice side available in a long, long time.

In contrast, Hull FC have a fairly damaging injury list considering they've yet to play a first team game in anger. Seems a ridiculous situation but one us black and whites are becoming used to, not sure if it's just bad luck or training methods (The injuries that is, not us being Hull fans).

Probably around a half strength squad but the key absentees are in the forwards where I expect us to get completely run over.

Hull FC squad to face Leeds: Jake Connor, Adam Swift, Carlos Tuimavave, Darnell McIntosh, Luke Gale, Danny Houghton, Jordan Lane, Joe Lovodua, Brad Fash, Ben McNamara, Jack Brown, Jordan Johnstone, Cameron Scott, Marcus Walker, Aidan Burrell, Davy Litten, Charlie Severs, Harvey Barron, Callum Rutland, Leon Stewart

Leeds by a decent margin.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

12 hours ago, WN83 said:

Latest in a long line from Wigan. It’s something you have to whisper quietly because it’s Wigan but they have this sort of stuff nailed. 

Agreed, Wigan are very decent with this kind of thing. 

On the game, Wigan will be tha far happier, although it's a pre-season run out that will ultimately tell us little. The game was flat for much of it, but I enjoyed being out and going to a game again with my family, that 5.30 Saturday kick off time is a good slot, I wish we'd use it. 

Wigan tore us apart down our left with Wrench and Ashton, and Wigan dominated the first half whilst the 2nd half was all Wire as Wigan gave penalty after penalty, but they did this backing their defence, knowing that Wire were pretty toothless. 

I did have to laugh at the sponsors who didn't get the memo that at a testimonial it is traditional to give MoM to the Testimonial guy, and instead gave it to Matautia who I thought was appalling and must have made a 100m sideways and 0 forwards. 

Whilst not exciting, I enjoyed a full blooded battle though and I thought both sets of players got stuck in and a good following from Wigan livened the atmosphere up - a very decent 7.6k crowd overall. 

4 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

In contrast, Hull FC have a fairly damaging injury list considering they've yet to play a first team game in anger. Seems a ridiculous situation but one us black and whites are becoming used to, not sure if it's just bad luck or training methods (The injuries that is, not us being Hull fans).

Probably around a half strength squad but the key absentees are in the forwards where I expect us to get completely run over.

Hull FC squad to face Leeds: Jake Connor, Adam Swift, Carlos Tuimavave, Darnell McIntosh, Luke Gale, Danny Houghton, Jordan Lane, Joe Lovodua, Brad Fash, Ben McNamara, Jack Brown, Jordan Johnstone, Cameron Scott, Marcus Walker, Aidan Burrell, Davy Litten, Charlie Severs, Harvey Barron, Callum Rutland, Leon Stewart

Does look a bit like men against boys as far as the two packs are concerned but as ever the main interest in these games is seeing how the newcomers and youngsters go. Looking forward to it for that reason.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

6 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Tbf, it could be both your bad luck and your training regime. 

On the positive side, they are holding Leeds so far. 

1 minute ago, M j M said:

I would hope so given the game doesn't start for another half hour.

Panic over in the Original Oak!

Currently Leeds 10 Hull FC tots 6, Jake Connor off with a bad looking injury, Hull tot off on a stretcher after a yellow card inducing tackle by Leeds, and a Hull player in the bin after kicking the ball away.

Arf tarm.

Three quick tries in 2nd arf and the tots are teetering.

Leeds 30ish Hull 6.

15 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Currently Leeds 10 Hull FC tots 6, Jake Connor off with a bad looking injury, Hull tot off on a stretcher after a yellow card inducing tackle by Leeds, and a Hull player in the bin after kicking the ball away.

Arf tarm.

A bit wrong with that.

Austin went to the bin for a late hit, the tackle by fusituia was a legal hit

gale went to the bin for trying to stop a quick tap restart 

;-)

Archived