Sun 30 Jan: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

17 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Guess that is why shock had 'shock' written around it. It is surprising when you compare the budgets of the two.  

Batley got another chance to pull up more trees next week. If they get another win vs full time thunder they will be set again to be a spoiler for bigger teams this year.

Anywhere we can compare the two budgets?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

I usually drive but getting to that part of London looked more bother than its worth. I went via Euston and then Blackfriars to Haydon's Rd which was a doddle.

Generally positive posts on their Footie Forum :-

`Exiled - 2k is a good start, particularly at the end of a loooong January. The pub was open and was busy, as was the West Stand concourse and to a lesser extent the Speedway Bar. We share all revenue IIRC - tickets, food and drink - but the detail has understandably been kept confidential.
30th Jan 2022 17:58:55 
[92.lo.gg.ed] 
The trick will be keeping people coming back, and I’d like to see Broncos up the ante in the warmer months with live music etc to make best use of the fanzone`

3 hours ago, Havenfan10 said:

Not all 3 for dissent did you go to the match? 

I did, been told later one was a late hit. Still shocking discipline all the way through from Haven - every man and his dog was having a go at Childs even after the binnings. You had a few decent players 13 was a handful and the FB looked decent, as did both halves and the 9 could be if he sorts his attitude

Comfortable win for Leigh, in a game that was over as a contest before the yellow cards, which I had no idea what they were for at the time, so assumed it was dissent.

Couldn't read a great deal into it, because we weren't particularly tested. Never really saw our new full back under a high ball, and the halves didn't really need to create much, with a lot of tries scored by the fact we had a number of players that were simply bigger, stronger and faster than their opposite numbers. 

I think we might need an upgrade on Ben Reynolds at 6 to have enough quality against Fev.

12 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Are you seriously suggesting that Fax are with a smaller budget?  There will be a few other scalps Batley will take this season. 

Im not suggesting that Fax have a smaller budget but our budget is also not going to be double Batleys. As has been the case over the last few seasons I would imagine that we are spending about 100-150k more than them and it would put us both around 5th or 6th in the spending table behind Fev, Leigh, York, Newcastle, and Bradford. Anyone who thinks yesterday was a shock for Batley must have been hid under a rock for the last few seasons.

3 hours ago, phiggins said:

Comfortable win for Leigh, in a game that was over as a contest before the yellow cards, which I had no idea what they were for at the time, so assumed it was dissent.

Couldn't read a great deal into it, because we weren't particularly tested. Never really saw our new full back under a high ball, and the halves didn't really need to create much, with a lot of tries scored by the fact we had a number of players that were simply bigger, stronger and faster than their opposite numbers. 

I think we might need an upgrade on Ben Reynolds at 6 to have enough quality against Fev.

I thought Ben Reynolds had one of his best games yesterday on the left and seems to have already got a great combo going with Macdonald & Dixon.

17 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Right then so it was a 'shock' in that it was the only result against money. With so many competitive teams,  winning the games such as Batley Dewsbury and the Cumbrian teams will be vital to making the playoffs. 

I agree those would be vital wins but losing away from home to last years 4th place team really is no shock unless you think Batley were a fluke last year.

I said on the Batley forum other than Leigh or Fev I thought it were the toughest possible start we could have.

19 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

I spoke to loads who said Monday just doesn't work for them.

Fev are bringing over a thousand fans to York tonight.

Just goes to show what a difference it makes with a proactive fanbase rather than one that does more moaning about Mondays than the Boomtown Rats.

49 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Right then so it was a 'shock' in that it was the only result against money. With so many competitive teams,  winning the games such as Batley Dewsbury and the Cumbrian teams will be vital to making the playoffs. 

I think throwing Batley in with some teams who may be relegation candidates is a bit insulting I'd say, as is the fact that you have noted 7 teams as play-off candidates but not the team that made the last 4 last year and has only really lost about one notable player.

8 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Just goes to show what a difference it makes with a proactive fanbase rather than one that does more moaning about Mondays than the Boomtown Rats.

A trip over the Pennines hsflycequates to a trip from Fev. to York. Also watch out for Nene MacDonald coming for you lot next weekend!!

28 minutes ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

Also watch out for Nene MacDonald coming for you lot next weekend!!

Has he signed for Dewsbury?

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

53 minutes ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

A trip over the Pennines hsflycequates to a trip from Fev. to York. 

Featherstone to York - 38 miles, 48 minutes

Leigh to Featherstone - 60 miles, 72 minutes

22 miles or 24 minutes difference, according to Google Maps. So you're talking nonsense.

49 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

I would expect a good following to York from the Fev fans, but equally I expect the reverse when Leigh visit Fev next Monday, working and then traversing the M62 for a 19:45 kick off is a big ask for a lot of fans, Leigh always take a lot of fans to Fev which I am sure there fans will testify to it will be Fev who suffer from the well reduced takings.

So how much will they receive for what most certainly will be lost revenue, I seem to remember a figure in the region of £96K being payed by Premier in total for all the games they will screen But this is not a share out for all club's if you ain't on the telly you get nowt is how I read it, and those on most will receive the most but governed by the audience it brings to Premier Sports, hence this statement:-

"The RFL has told clubs that the money they receive for being shown at home is a marketing budget rather than compensation."

It's great that there is more rugby on TV, bit it should in my opinion be sold to increase money coming into the club's, somehow I don't see how this deal will deliver that.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I would expect a good following to York from the Fev fans, but equally I expect the reverse when Leigh visit Fev next Monday, working and then traversing the M62 for a 19:45 kick off is a big ask for a lot of fans, Leigh always take a lot of fans to Fev which I am sure there fans will testify to it will be Fev who suffer from the well reduced takings.

So how much will they receive for what most certainly will be lost revenue, I seem to remember a figure in the region of £96K being payed by Premier in total for all the games they will screen But this is not a share out for all club's if you ain't on the telly you get nowt is how I read it, and those on most will receive the most but governed by the audience it brings to Premier Sports, hence this statement:-

"The RFL has told clubs that the money they receive for being shown at home is a marketing budget rather than compensation."

It's great that there is more rugby on TV, bit it should in my opinion be sold to increase money coming into the club's, somehow I don't see how this deal will deliver that.

Bloke at the LNER Community Stadium ticket office this morning predicted a circa 3,500 crowd. He based that estimate on advance sales and likely walk-ups.

5 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Featherstone to York - 38 miles, 48 minutes

Leigh to Featherstone - 60 miles, 72 minutes

22 miles or 24 minutes difference, according to Google Maps. So you're talking nonsense.

Very unlikely at 17:30ish on a work night, I used to do this journey quite a lot granted it was in the opposite direction and it was 10 years ago, and there is much more traffic nowadays, one hold up can mean missing the kick off by a considerable amount of time.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I think throwing Batley in with some teams who may be relegation candidates is a bit insulting I'd say, as is the fact that you have noted 7 teams as play-off candidates but not the team that made the last 4 last year and has only really lost about one notable player.

I saw nothing at all yesterday to suggest they are not at least as good a team as they were last year so I think it will take a brave person to suggest they won't make the top 6 this year. Id expect them to win the majority of their home games which alone should put them somewhere around the playoffs. Its why Im not too disappointed by yesterdays loss, we played most of the game a forward down and then a lot of the last 20 minutes with 11 players. We simply can't afford to be so ill disciplined or make so many errors against a good team. What I saw in the first half though was encouraging and maybe with a bit more game time under our belts we may have been out of sight by half time. Now if we lose any of our next three which are London(h), Widnes(h), Workington(a) then I might start asking questions.

22 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Very unlikely at 17:30ish on a work night, I used to do this journey quite a lot granted it was in the opposite direction and it was 10 years ago, and there is much more traffic nowadays, one hold up can mean missing the kick off by a considerable amount of time.

They're obviously not factoring your enemy and everyone else's  - the M62!

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

Bloke at the LNER Community Stadium ticket office this morning predicted a circa 3,500 crowd. He based that estimate on advance sales and likely walk-ups.

Taking away the 1,000 Fev fans, I would have thought that more York Folk would have wanted to make a show, It must be their most attractive game of the season and would I be right in saying that even over the distance it is effectively York's "Derby" game?.

Archived