After 40 years have we finally given up on cracking the London market?

27 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Just seen the club have made a great move for families interested in going

£2 ticket for juniors....very good move and I'll be booking in more games with my kids now

Well done

Its a Great start, but they need to also have activities for the kids once they are in the gate. Having Buck and Dusty (and possibly Wimbledon mascot) would be the very minimum, also should have other things going on as well

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, crashmon said:

Its a Great start, but they need to also have activities for the kids once they are in the gate. Having Buck and Dusty (and possibly Wimbledon mascot) would be the very minimum, also should have other things going on as well

Yep, face painting, mascots, rugby games etc.....I always have the bribe at the end (fast food chain) but the in stadium stuff is even better

Excellent deals! Nobody can say they are not trying to bring crowds in. I hope they can keep attracting 1500 or more home fans to each match, even if it does mean continuing such deals theoughout the season. 1500 in a 3000-seat grandstand is enough to ensure a half-decent atmosphere. 

12 hours ago, langpark said:

Excellent deals! Nobody can say they are not trying to bring crowds in. I hope they can keep attracting 1500 or more home fans to each match, even if it does mean continuing such deals theoughout the season. 1500 in a 3000-seat grandstand is enough to ensure a half-decent atmosphere. 

Now just got to hope it’s worth watching

On 03/02/2022 at 19:23, langpark said:

Does that offer apply to associate members or to full members ?

On 03/02/2022 at 12:02, Big Picture said:

I'm not suggesting that the lack of interest in only due to the lack of money to support the venture well.  I suggest that it's also due to their opponents coming from places which with the odd exception Londoners have never even heard of, let alone rate as being worth their time and money to make an effort to go and watch.  The sport having a name which will lead to some confusion about what it even is wouldn't have helped either.

RU isn't king in London, not by any means.  London is big enough for a good few pro sports, but at present RL doesn't offer something which can cut through there.

I think a period of sustained success is vital for a team to take off....we have not really had that.... though now just being in SL feels like it was one 

It would be the best thing for the sport in the UK for us to win SL ....the support base could grow exponentially very quickly

On 03/02/2022 at 19:23, langpark said:

Yes well done Broncos ....I've planned a lot more trips with kids now 

11 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

11 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yes well done Broncos ….but I think it should also be mentioned that the price of a season ticket  has more than doubled from two years ago.

On 03/02/2022 at 12:02, Big Picture said:

I'm not suggesting that the lack of interest in only due to the lack of money to support the venture well.  I suggest that it's also due to their opponents coming from places which with the odd exception Londoners have never even heard of, let alone rate as being worth their time and money to make an effort to go and watch.  The sport having a name which will lead to some confusion about what it even is wouldn't have helped either.

RU isn't king in London, not by any means.  London is big enough for a good few pro sports, but at present RL doesn't offer something which can cut through there.

Exactly how thick are Londoners? They've never heard of Sheffield, Bradford, Newcastle, York, Featherstone? 

10 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Big Picture specifically stated 'places they've never heard of' 🤷‍♂️ 

I’ve never understood the myth that people in London don’t attend Rugby League because they haven’t heard of Dewsbury as if it’s that, that is holding back London Broncos and not a long history of poor management that’s a bigger factor.

TBH, most people in London will only recognise Halifax (for the Bank), Bradford, Leeds, Sheffield (owing to the football), York, Hull (owing to the only fools and horses espiode) in Yorkshire.  Its just the way it is living in the south. I originally come from Bolton, and even though people have heard of it (Peter kay and football), they have no idea where it is other than some place near manchester. Most londoners would not be able to point to St Helens, Rochdale, Widnes, Warrington etc on a map either, they will know its up North but not exactly where.

Also you have to remember London is huge, from Heathrow in the west to say the Millenium Dome in the east is a larger distance than from St Helens to Leeds.

8 minutes ago, crashmon said:

TBH, most people in London will only recognise Halifax (for the Bank), Bradford, Leeds, Sheffield (owing to the football), York, Hull (owing to the only fools and horses espiode) in Yorkshire.  Its just the way it is living in the south. I originally come from Bolton, and even though people have heard of it (Peter kay and football), they have no idea where it is other than some place near manchester. Most londoners would not be able to point to St Helens, Rochdale, Widnes, Warrington etc on a map either, they will know its up North but not exactly where.

Also you have to remember London is huge, from Heathrow in the west to say the Millenium Dome in the east is a larger distance than from St Helens to Leeds.

Is the broad point here that Yorkshire is more famous than Lancashire???

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

7 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Is the broad point here that Yorkshire is more famous than Lancashire???

Well it depends.

My Wife is american, before she moved over here with me, she had heard of Manchester and Liverpool and could point to them on a map, but when it came to yorkshire it was only Scarabourgh she had heard of, and that was because of Simon and Garfunkel (she actually wanted to go to the scarabourgh fair). So I would say outside UK, probably Lancashire is more famous (also Beatles from Liverpool), but this is really down to football TBH.

when I lived in the US, People over there though Newcastle was in Scotland, which I always found amusing.

52 minutes ago, crashmon said:

Yeah it's amazing how few people in the South know the geography of the north...ive had people think Halifax is near Birmingham or  Bradford is near Manchester....I take it for granted but then remember the reason  I might be an exception!

Eee....ecky thump these southerners like

8 hours ago, langpark said:

And stadium quality has quadrupled, so it's a sweet deal IMO. 

The club went part-time and now has a squad which isn't competitive. Moving to Plough Lane would be fine if the Broncos were going up to SL or at least being a top team in the Championship.

9 hours ago, crashmon said:

Firstly, I’m not sure it’s just a “southern thing” and the same can be said of northern people of the south. 

Geography or the lack of it will not be a factor in people watching rugby league, it certainly doesn’t stop lower league football clubs averaging crowds that Broncos could only dream of. 

Archived