After 40 years have we finally given up on cracking the London market?

6 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

RU being a national sport, maintaining a place in its top tier (let alone being one of the dominant clubs) is not as easy as in RL's top tier.

It's remarkably easy to maintain a place in RU's top tier, given the lengths they go to restrict who can come up.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

And give them less money if they come up, where have I heard that before? Union is settled now with its teams , probably they want Cornwall in and maybe a Yorkshire team then close the door. They will let Ealing in, and when Cornwall get their stadium they will dump them out. 

I hadn't realised that they have actually implemented their block on relegation so it's now *even easier* to stay in the top tier.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 09/02/2022 at 20:38, Jughead said:

Rugby League’s profile is so small, the profile of the game outside of Super League is non-existent and London do so little to build a reputable brand or an entertainment venue that people actually want to attend. 

I think this is the key point in your post. 

If we are honest, this point isn't limited to London. A lot of these part-time Northern clubs need to be thinking along the same lines. "A reputable brand or an  entertainment venue that people actually want to attend."

Well put. 👊🏼

29 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

I think this is the key point in your post. 

If we are honest, this point isn't limited to London. A lot of these part-time Northern clubs need to be thinking along the same lines. "A reputable brand or an  entertainment venue that people actually want to attend."

Well put. 👊🏼

Not just the part-time sides. Super League sides often aren’t the biggest ticket in town and they could do well to remember this. Round One and Two ticket sales appear very positive, it’s committing to the long haul that creates fans. 

On 10/02/2022 at 18:10, EssexRL said:

I am not sure how many people on the Forum are from London or nearby. If you are the most important thing you can do is go along and support one of the semi-pro or amateur teams here in any way you can. If we want RL to survive/thrive in London and the SE then we all need to play our part in what ever way we can (I've just sponsored to London Skolars players).

This is so true and seeing the game back on terrestrial Tv was fabulous! Get behind every RL in the south. What I notice most is the speed to criticise and I know I am also guilty of it and must do better! Skolars broncos Hemel chargers and more are all working hard to keep the sport alive 

On 10/02/2022 at 14:26, nadera78 said:

Has the monkey gone? 

Whether it was his choice to go or Hughes' this kind of move, at this point in time, pretty much sums the club up tbh - actively work to drive people away, hand club contracts to your private business, orchestrate a move to another part of the city, then leave after one home game.

Who knows what is behind both moves but if youth is going to continue in the south to grow - the community teams need pathways. One reason given in interviews for going part time was to invest in the youth sections where they have always been successful - currently no scholarship program running and zero comms from LB for how players can progress. Likely to undo all the hard work of Powell very quickly 

Archived