Championship Grand Final

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Isn't it just , why would Spurs put the infrastructure to fill 10,000 pints of beer a minute unless there was money to be made from it ? , Or indeed have an on site brewery ?

Just admit you were trying to be clever , and failed 

You’re trying to compare gigantic Premier League football clubs to Rugby League teams out of rented council/third party owned stadiums now? That’s some stretch. 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Jughead said:

You’re trying to compare gigantic Premier League football clubs to Rugby League teams out of rented council/third party owned stadiums now? That’s some stretch. 

When Leigh played at Hilton Park we made a fortune out of food and drinks , I know this because I was on the board at the time , Spurs have refined the process , but it's still the same be it big or small , just a matter of scale 

53 minutes ago, Jughead said:

You can’t “just forget” the occasion, that’s the point. The Super League Grand Final is the games best attended event and rates well with TV audiences. Contrast that to the Championship Grand Final, the attendances have been 6-7,000 when in this country and the Championship’s television profile is much lower than Super League’s, having only had seven or eight games on Sky the past few years. 

It would appear that neutrals have little interest in attending the Championship Grand Final, as proven by previous attendances in those events. There’s a big difference between wanting a Grand Final at a neutral venue and actually attending said final and that’s the problem. It makes good copy and you can stamp your feet about it but not enough people attended previous incarnations of the Million Pound Game, so what’s changed? 

Not for change are you? Can't see the value in moving on, another business term for you if you stand still you go backwards.

You are already using the MPG's as examples but think about them they were played at the ground of one of the participating teams, I referenced the '14 Championship Final which was the best attended of the last 3 better attended than games in Toronto or Toulouse it was also at a neutral venue being Headingley and played between Fev and Leigh, I would say repeat that this year and it will get 15K+, add in other games like the L1 and Ladies GF and it will get more, how can you being a business man just dismiss progression, a bit of advise for you make as much money as you can while you can, for with your attitude you are going to get left behind.

17 minutes ago, Jughead said:

No he isn't he is quoting a business model, the rudiments are there they will then be adjusted to suit individual requirements.

20 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

With so much at stake its like the Million pound game in the 8's - you earn home advantage over the season

C'mon Sweaty I thought you were savvy enough to realise why the Championship GF was moved to the home of the top finishing team, the first one coming after the disastrously attended Wembley final with Catalans the RFL were running scared of a repeat of a neutral venue and especially so when Toronto and Toulouse were expected to make to the final so they then took the decision to play the game at the highest placed team, nothing whatsoever with earning it through the season, the top placed team earns the easiest passage to the final that should be just reward.

29 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

With so much at stake its like the Million pound game in the 8's - you earn home advantage over the season

No you didn't earn home advantage over the season to host the MPG, you earned it by finishing in 4th place in the 7 game mini comp after the regular season finished!

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not for change are you? Can't see the value in moving on, another business term for you if you stand still you go backwards.

You are already using the MPG's as examples but think about them they were played at the ground of one of the participating teams, I referenced the '14 Championship Final which was the best attended of the last 3 better attended than games in Toronto or Toulouse it was also at a neutral venue being Headingley and played between Fev and Leigh, I would say repeat that this year and it will get 15K+, add in other games like the L1 and Ladies GF and it will get more, how can you being a business man just dismiss progression, a bit of advise for you make as much money as you can while you can, for with your attitude you are going to get left behind.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

No he isn't he is quoting a business model, the rudiments are there they will then be adjusted to suit individual requirements.

A couple of episodes of Apprentice and we have the Leigh branch quoting nonsense. Tottenham’s business model is very different to that of Leigh’s (thankfully), who would like to host a neutral game, I’m sure. It’s night and day. It’s comparisons that aren’t valid or fair.

Change is great. We desperately need monumental change in the sport. The sooner the better. Change isn’t doing what we’ve done before (like, y’know, a second tier Grand Final at a neutral venue) and hoping for a different outcome. That’s not change. That’s repeating history and making the same mistakes but that’s Rugby League for you.

There’s a business decision behind the Championship Grand Final being rewarded to the highest ranked side and a sporting decision (reward for finishing first/second) and I imagine clubs at that level are grateful for an additional home game that generates income through hospitality, TV money, tickets, merchandise. Sweating the small stuff like the small percentage of income a stadium management company may keep from shifting some thrice cooked burgers is minutiae that matters little in this instance.

While I get that some Championship fans might pine for the past (no, Rugby League fans would never do that!) but times have changed and as a reward for finishing first/second, home advantage in a final works for the parties that ultimately count right now; The RFL and the clubs, who are all about finances, in the same way Super League chairmen are and loop games are a benefit to them but less so fans of the clubs. 

If Rugby League fans spent their time supporting the game instead of moaning, the game would be far richer from multiple angles. 

My opinion is that the final always should have been at a neutral venue, however as a Fev fan if the final goes to a neutral venue and we finish top  I retain the right to moan about how unfair it is and how the rfl hate us having made us travel thousands of miles over the last 2 finals 

59 minutes ago, Jughead said:

There’s a business decision behind the Championship Grand Final being rewarded to the highest ranked side and a sporting decision (reward for finishing first/second)

Read a couple of posts back in my reply to Sweaty, Off course there was a business decision that was to take the final overseas to the club's who were expected and did reach the final, it would have been a financial flop the Canadian and French supporters would not have travelled in numbers, it had nothing whatsoever to do with reward for finishing top.

I was witness at the Summer Bash when Toronto, Toulouse and London were present, if all their fans had flown into Manchester at the same time a 12 seater minibus would have been sufficient to transport them all to Blackpool, me being a numpty could see this and so could the RFL that is the sole reason they changed the format from a neutral venue in this country, could you imagine had it been Toronto v Toulouse at ground over here there would have been more gatemen, camera crews, and commentators than spectators in the ground, the format was changed purely for financial reasons and not to make the sport look a laughing stock, it then masked it with the a reward for the top team which some like you swallowed hook line and sinker.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Read a couple of posts back in my reply to Sweaty, Off course there was a business decision that was to take the final overseas to the club's who were expected and did reach the final, it would have been a financial flop the Canadian and French supporters would not have travelled in numbers, it had nothing whatsoever to do with reward for finishing top.

I was witness at the Summer Bash when Toronto, Toulouse and London were present, if all their fans had flown into Manchester at the same time a 12 seater minibus would have been sufficient to transport them all to Blackpool, me being a numpty could see this and so could the RFL that is the sole reason they changed the format from a neutral venue in this country, could you imagine had it been Toronto v Toulouse at ground over here there would have been more gatemen, camera crews, and commentators than spectators in the ground, the format was changed purely for financial reasons and not to make the sport look a laughing stock, it then masked it with the a reward for the top team which some like you swallowed hook line and sinker.

I don’t buy “blame the foreigners”. Attendances when Toronto were in town at all levels of the game were far higher than when playing pretty much anyone else. I saw how many were in Newcastle for Toulouse v Toronto, I’ve seen countless years of London Broncos (h) and Catalans Dragons (h) and I was present at St Helens v Catalans in the Grand Final. It’s a lazy excuse to blame the three foreign clubs. Rugby League fans don’t want to attend its big events, the Challenge Cup and Championship Grand Finals are evidence. We don’t have the culture anymore (or are losing it rapidly) of attending neutral events. The option was to continue what we were doing (neutral grounds for finals) or do something from a business perspective that worked that also benefitted those taking part, which home advantage has done. 

There’s no reward to finishing top in the Championship, this is it. There needed to be a reward and this is the most suitable option at present. 

26 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I don’t buy “blame the foreigners”. Attendances when Toronto were in town at all levels of the game were far higher than when playing pretty much anyone else. I saw how many were in Newcastle for Toulouse v Toronto, I’ve seen countless years of London Broncos (h) and Catalans Dragons (h) and I was present at St Helens v Catalans in the Grand Final. It’s a lazy excuse to blame the three foreign clubs. Rugby League fans don’t want to attend its big events, the Challenge Cup and Championship Grand Finals are evidence. We don’t have the culture anymore (or are losing it rapidly) of attending neutral events. The option was to continue what we were doing (neutral grounds for finals) or do something from a business perspective that worked that also benefitted those taking part, which home advantage has done. 

There’s no reward to finishing top in the Championship, this is it. There needed to be a reward and this is the most suitable option at present. 

You just can't see the wood for the trees can you?

On 29/01/2022 at 14:34, Jughead said:

6 of the previous 7 Championship Grand Finals with four figure crowds says so. 

Why do you think the home ground of one of the finalists would be any cheaper than a neutral ground. 

8 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

When Leigh played at Hilton Park we made a fortune out of food and drinks , I know this because I was on the board at the time , Spurs have refined the process , but it's still the same be it big or small , just a matter of scale 

He used the outsourcing argument (some do, some don't 🤷‍♂️) as though the Stadium owner doesn't benefit a single iota from in-stadium sales...... clearly hosting events rather than been shut  effects the price of the pitch / space (bar, food, whatever) at the very least  subcontractors and/ or partners if they exist should get more bang for their buck.....

On 29/01/2022 at 14:48, Jughead said:

The last Championship Grand Finals at neutral venues; 9,164, 6,800, 6,049, 7,263, 9,443, 11,398, 7,104. 

The MPG attendances; 7,236*, 6,562*, 6,888*, 9,246, 9,974, 9,235. 

* denotes the middle nonsense.

The best attendances have been 2009 at a neutral venue and then two games in Canada and one in France. One five figure crowd in thirteen attempts.

There’s nothing there to suggest that a neutral venue is a particularly smart move from any angle. It might be nice for the fans but people aren’t attending and don’t appear to want to either.

So... sounds like we should host it in Toronto?/ 😄

Archived