Des Drummond awful news

Dunbar

Warrington Guardian are reporting the awful news that Des Drummond has sadly passed away aged 63.

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/19884875.warrington-wolves-vs-wigan-warriors-live-updates/

I can't believe.  What a player and man and only 63.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just seen the news and come on here to show condolence. What a star, what a loss.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

This is very sad news indeed. I actually met him and chatted to him at a seven a side tournament in Chester. He was very unassuming and quietly encouraging to our lads. A very likeable man. I'm surprised though, that he was only 63. Can that fact be verified? 

Just now, fighting irish said:

This is very sad news indeed. I actually met him and chatted to him at a seven a side tournament in Chester. He was very unassuming and quietly encouraging to our lads. A very likeable man. I'm surprised though, that he was only 63. Can that fact be verified? 

Wiki says it's true. 

What awful news. Not only a rugby league legend but a man who gained national recognition for his superb shows of athleticism on the BBC's Superstars programme.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

3 minutes ago, tjhrads93 said:

Sad news, did not get born into a rugby league family but decided to watch Warrington when I come into the game; a man who I have watched since and one hell of a player.

All the best to his family, rip.

Well, Des wasn't born into a RL family either, so you're in good company.

A happy accident for fans of the game. A rather painful accident for anyone who tried to get past him.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

RIP Des Drummond a real hero of the game!

I made my debut against Leigh and played against Des, he made a break down the right wing and was flying. Being pretty quick myself and with the aid of the angle I had him bang to rights close to the touchline, I was preparing to put him in the East Stand then BANG he came off his right foot and I swear he made a right angle turn at full speed without losing any speed whatsoever. I never laid a finger on him!

Amazing player, he was 1 of only 3 players who would have replaced his opposite number in the 1982 Australian Invincible Ashes Team.

sad day!

14 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Well, Des wasn't born into a RL family either, so you're in good company.

A happy accident for fans of the game. A rather painful accident for anyone who tried to get past him.

A story I have put on this board before 

Back in 2005 I attended a ' Legends ' event at the Shay , Roy Haggerty ,Karl Harrison and Mark Preston on the stage telling stories and answering questions 

I ,hand raised asked the question , " who was the opponent you least liked facing ? " , Mark Preston , with head shaking and a smile replied " Des " , " and it wasn't just me , it was all wingers , every one of us " , Karl and Roy laughing 

Mark then went on to tell a story of when Wigan and Wire played that game in the states , a few of the players were relaxing on the beach , up strolls a couple of big ' yanks ' who had spotted the oval ball , a few questions later and one of them was throwing quarterback style a pass to the other with one of the ' limeys ' requested to attempt a tackle , Dessie was the tackler , " we were all laughing knowing what was coming as 5ft 7 inch Des cleans the guy out in typical Drummond style "  

RIP Des , I don't think I've ever heard a bad word about him from any RL fan who had witnessed him play be that a team he played for or against , a true gentleman and Legend of the sport 

Archived