Des Drummond awful news

Dunbar

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my childhood heroes. He never played for oldham but you could never fail to love the bloke.

In the mid 80s the chronicle said oldham were looking to sign Drummond. It wasn't Des but his brother Alvin.

RIP Des 🙏 you will be sadly missed 😢 

For a person who only turned up to support his brother in the A TEAM at leigh and turned out to make up the numbers he became a legend who was known outside of the sport with his exploits in superstars. 

RIP legend. 

He was a very skillful player, but being it being the era of the biff, two fond memories. In a televised game Ray French saying Martin Offiah has just run into the post as he lays on the floor holding his face after Dessie had lamped him.

THE other is the weekly chant  from Wire fans, to his opposite winger of "Dessie, gonna get you"

I remember when Leigh won the league and everybody was outside the town hall cheering. All of a sudden everybody started cheering " desi desi desi" and he appeared at the top of the town hall holding the cup. Brilliant moment for a brilliant man.

There used to be a t-shirt available on sale with an image of Drummond, and the slogan "Line 'im up, Dessie".

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

There used to be a t-shirt available on sale with an image of Drummond, and the slogan "Line 'im up, Dessie".

There should have been one with boot prints on and the slogan ‘ I’ve been Dessied ‘

I always remember reading a funny story, think it may have been in some Wigan players book, about Des Drummond. I have a feeling it was from the Milwaukee Wigan v Warrington game and a few players must have met at the beach and were invited to have a game of tick and pass by some random people/locals. The said random people were warned not to run straight at Des for their own safety. Advice ignored someone who fancied their chances at little Des did and was promptly flattened and knocked out by Des.

*Apologies if my recollection is not 100% accurate.

I have never heard anyone have a bad word to say about Dessie. A great player and a true gent. RIP.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

1 hour ago, Ullman said:

What awful news. Not only a rugby league legend but a man who gained national recognition for his superb shows of athleticism on the BBC's Superstars programme.

When he made the other contestants look like blokes that had been picked at random from the nearest street.

As others have said, fond memories and generous praise of a very good opposition player, not many get that from RL fans.

RIP Des mate.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

Really sad news, RIP. A great regret that I am just too young to have seen him play, I certainly grew up with the stories of his exploits.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

RIP Des Drummond a real hero of the game!

I made my debut against Leigh and played against Des, he made a break down the right wing and was flying. Being pretty quick myself and with the aid of the angle I had him bang to rights close to the touchline, I was preparing to put him in the East Stand then BANG he came off his right foot and I swear he made a right angle turn at full speed without losing any speed whatsoever. I never laid a finger on him!

Amazing player, he was 1 of only 3 players who would have replaced his opposite number in the 1982 Australian Invincible Ashes Team.

sad day!

Absolutely wonderful player, but disagree he would have replaced his Aussie counterparts in 82 team. Boustead and Grothe were outstanding. GB scored one try in the entire series, and that was after the series was decided.

None of that takes away from Des’s accomplishments.

To put his athleticism into context.  His record 100 metre time on Superstars of 10.85 seconds in 1983 would have beaten 25 of the athletes in the first round heats of the 1984 Summer Olympics.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

A RL legend and a great bloke. I can't believe that he has been taken so young.

RIP Des.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Warrington Guardian are reporting the awful news that Des Drummond has sadly passed away aged 63.

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/19884875.warrington-wolves-vs-wigan-warriors-live-updates/

I can't believe.  What a player and man and only 63.

Only 63?  How very sad!

I was only in his company a few weeks ago and he was in good fettle, laughing (did he never not laugh) and looked good. Great player, great entertainer, a very sad loss. R.I.P Des.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Was announced before stef Ratchford’s testimonial tonight.  In shock.  I grew up watching Dessie.  What a tough, tough man.  The way he flew in off his wing to smash his opposition centre was borderline illegal.  Searing pace too of course, the only man I ever saw who caught Martin offiah from behind.  Incredible athlete, taken far too young.  RIP mate, thanks for everything.

Archived